Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Nostalrius Vanilla Hype - Gone the way of the Titanic

It was only about a month ago, Nostalrius and vanilla servers was the topic raging in every corner of social media only to disappear to some unsightly corner of the internet and peoples minds. Did Blizzard drag this whole 'meeting' thing out long enough for us to stop giving a shit and find something else to focus and complain about while this topic quietly sank to the icy depths of the fucksgiven ocean? Who knows.

Nostalrius have already had their meeting with Blizzard and are flying home; they said they had fun and the news was good. Now when they say that do they mean they had a great time being shown around on campus and then told all the reasons blizzard isn't going to release a pure vanilla server? Who knows maybe.

I'm not an advocate for either side of this debate. Would I like to see legacy expansion servers? Sure that would be neat. Are there technical and logical issues to take into consideration when doing this? Definitely. Would I go to the floor kicking and screaming if Blizzard had denied us these legacy servers? I'd like to think I wouldn't and I'd like to make it clear This thread is not about the creation of vanilla servers, it is a question of just how much people take this topic to heart.

I tend to see a Nostalrius thread maybe here and there, usually the old ones from a month or two ago being bumped by the lone soul. It seems like a subject that was over talked about to the point where the thought of it just exhausted people. The multiple threads, polls, youtube videos, petitions all the waiting around for a meeting to occur and a straight answer. But we all know Blizzard are good at ducking and dodging like a trained fighter, I mean c'mon, Abbysal Maw raid, Farahlon etc. Announced and buried as quickly as a one direction album.

So just your thoughts and opinions, do you think this subject was purposefully dragged out to dispatch interest? was this just another bandwagon? do you still consider this to be a major high priority topic for Blizzard to address?

Artwork created by Yochi
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    I personally find watching game streamers to be the lowest, saddest form of loneliness.

It wasnt "dragged out" Morhaime is a busy entreprenuer with a busy schedule. Were you expecting for him to meet them on the same week ?
    This kind of things require preparation and resources. And that requires time.

Deleted
    ofc it was a summer filler.... no other things are more keeping people interested/hating: ov, fb integration, warcarft movie....

Everyone knew the hype would die down and quickly be forgotten - because the only 'players' that wanted Nost back - were a handful of freeloading cheapskates who wanted something for nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avaddon View Post
    Nostalrius have already had their meeting with Blizzard and are flying home; they said they had fun and the news was good.
    Source please?

do you still consider this to be a major high priority topic for Blizzard to address?
    It never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Source please?
    Source...

10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Source please?
    https://www.facebook.com/NostalBegins/?fref=ts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    Source...

10chars
    Beat me to it.

Artwork created by Yochi
    I personally find watching game streamers to be the lowest, saddest form of loneliness.

7+ Year Old Account
    They could easily implement classic servers, other games have proven its easily done. I dont believe for a second that they dont have each build archived

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    They could easily implement classic servers, other games have proven its easily done.
    Just because they did it doesn't mean it was easy.

Oh look another Nost thread. You know why the hype died down? People move on to other things to get hyped about or in the case of famous youtubers/twitch personalities they moved on to other things to keep making their money and get views. It is easy to rage about something for a short time and move on, ever look at ESPN during hot button topics?

- - - Updated - - -

They could easily implement classic servers, other games have proven its easily done. I dont believe for a second that they dont have each build archived
    Everquest =/= WoW
    Runescape =/= WoW

Just because some small time games can make it work does not mean it is 'easily done'.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Everyone knew the hype would die down and quickly be forgotten - because the only 'players' that wanted Nost back - were a handful of freeloading cheapskates who wanted something for nothing.
    That feel when I played Nost and also was subbed to Retail. Subbed so long, in fact, I got my ten year statue. Where is yours?
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerroth View Post
    That feel when I played Nost and also was subbed to Retail. Subbed so long, in fact, I got my ten year statue. Where is yours?
    Sounds like you're just lazy with your money. Why pay for something you don't use?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh look another Nost thread. You know why the hype died down? People move on to other things to get hyped about or in the case of famous youtubers/twitch personalities they moved on to other things to keep making their money and get views. It is easy to rage about something for a short time and move on, ever look at ESPN during hot button topics?

- - - Updated - - -

Everquest =/= WoW
    Runescape =/= WoW

Just because some small time games can make it work does not mean it is 'easily done'.
    So you're saying it's perfectly acceptable for people to present a topic to Blizzard with heads held high, backed by dozens of websites and streamers and such only for the whole situation to die down and never be spoken of again, as was with other past developments talked about by Blizzard. This is probably one of the fundamental reasons why Blizzard doesn't take it's community very seriously. The players don't seem to have a very strong position on their views for more than 5 minutes.

Artwork created by Yochi

Deleted
    I'm sure you think lots of things you have no idea about are easy, doesn't make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Everquest =/= WoW
    Runescape =/= WoW

"Small time" surely shows how far gone you are in this whole debate.

And the discussion hasn't died down. People are waiting for the Nostalrius team to make a post about their meeting with Blizzard.

So you're saying it's perfectly acceptable for people to present a topic to Blizzard with heads held high, backed by dozens of websites and streamers and such only for the whole situation to die down and never be spoken of again, as was with other past developments talked about by Blizzard. This is probably one of the fundamental reasons why Blizzard doesn't take it's community very seriously. The players don't seem to have a very strong position on their views for more than 5 minutes.
    What if Blizzard said NO in that meeting? Would it silence those yearning for vanilla servers? Probably not.

What is there to sustain the hype? Until its announced i wouldnt expect to see much

Quote Originally Posted by Zerroth View Post
    On a shelf next to my computer.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

10+ Year Old Account
    I highlighted in Bold and Underlined words that this thread does not debate the topic of implementation. I am discussing the topic of peoples sustainability to care about a topic that seemed to be a very high priority a month ago and has since been basically forgotten about. Which leads me to believe it may not have been that important of a topic to people in the first place, it was just another thing to complain about due to content drought.

You have no solid proof that this can be done as easily as you claim. And there is no solid proof against it either, hence the futility in discussing it.

Artwork created by Yochi