Looking for a television for gaming/movies/netflix

So as the title say I'm looking to buy a television for gaming watching DVD's Blu-rays and netflix in the 48 inch range but televisions are not really my strong suit so I'm a bit lost.

I would prefer to stay below 1k € cheaper is better as long as it's a quality machine. So far I'm looking at :

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KD-49X8005C
    http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/t...UE48JU7500LXXN

Both are on sale atm but maybe there are better/cheaper options?

Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    So as the title say I'm looking to buy a television for gaming watching DVD's Blu-rays and netflix in the 48 inch range but televisions are not really my strong suit so I'm a bit lost.

I would prefer to stay below 1k € cheaper is better as long as it's a quality machine. So far I'm looking at :

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KD-49X8005C
    http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/t...UE48JU7500LXXN

Both are on sale atm but maybe there are better/cheaper options?

Any help is appreciated.
    Well, I wouldn't go for the curved one. Curved monitors are pretty good, but curved TVs are really just a gimmick from what I understand.

Also, the best advice I ever got on buying a TV was to actually go to the store and look at them to compare black levels. When comparing, try to see which one has the darkest blacks when there is something bright right next to the black. You obviously can not totally trust what you see in the store as the settings they use for display are optimized for that environment and not you in-home environment. But comparing the blacks really helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about this Sony TV but assuming it's close to this one, the Samsung one is better.

You could also look at the JU7100 which is basically the same thing at the JU7500 but without the curve.

The best current TV you can buy for this size right now would be this one, this year's models from Samsung are really good.

The other recommendation would be this one, but I'm not sure about Vizio being easily obtainable on Europe. Here for example we don't have Vizio.

If I were you I'd just buy this or this depending which you prefer curved or not. It's slightly above 1K GBP but it's the best you can buy so it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don't know how good of advice that is as not every store has the TVs balanced properly, or even on a setting you'd use in your home. If you can switch them to something closer to what you'd actually use, and they haven't been on display mode too long(tends to have amped levels to combat harsh lighting conditions), you can make a comparison. It's really not that hard to look at the specs on the TV and see all the relevant information though.

I do agree that curved isn't really something I'd look for in a TV though.

If it's between those 2 I'd get the Sony.
    The problem with going by published specs is that the manufacturer's quite often fudge these, most notably contrast ratio. Contrast ration numbers published in the specs are quite often completely bogus. There is no standard for it and they could be testing just one pixel, driving through it's maximim output that you'll never actually see or be able to use compared to it being completely off and having no power, which is not a representation of how it will perform IRL. For refresh rates, they often fudge this in a variety of ways and due to motion blur can be pretty subjective as well. many of the other features some TVs offer like LG's TruMotion are pretty much completely fake. Many times, the published viewing angles are completely made up as well. So going by the specs is a really poor way to choose a TV.

This is why I said that the only thing to look at is the black levels in comparison to the other TVs when there is something bright immediately next to the black. Don't trust the rest of what you see, only compare black levels. Comparing anything and everything else is futile really.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Not sure about this Sony TV but assuming it's close to this one, the Samsung one is better.

You could also look at the JU7100 which is basically the same thing at the JU7500 but without the curve.

The best current TV you can buy for this size right now would be this one, this year's models from Samsung are really good.

The other recommendation would be this one, but I'm not sure about Vizio being easily obtainable on Europe. Here for example we don't have Vizio.

If I were you I'd just buy this or this depending which you prefer curved or not. It's slightly above 1K GBP but it's the best you can buy so it's worth it.
    Vizio seems to be US only, not specifically looking at curved, just that that Samsung one is on sale atm.

The ks800 is around 1800 Euro which is too much for me
    the other samsung is 1.190 £ which is 1.5k € or like also way above my 1k € or lower budget

If the link works, this should be in my budget Samsung wise
    https://www.krefel.be/view/content/s...price_max=1058

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I assumed you were from the UK because the website linked for the Sony TV was .co.uk, my mistake =(

The JU7500 and JU7100 are both extremely solid products, you won't regret your purchase with either of them =)

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Sorry, I assumed you were from the UK because the website linked for the Sony TV was .co.uk, my mistake =(

The JU7500 and JU7100 are both extremely solid products, you won't regret your purchase with either of them =)
    The JU7100 does not seem to be available in Belgium/Netherlands or even Europe sadly enough, going to see if I can find out more on the Sony, there is a 300 Euro price difference with the curved Samsung.

Thx for the help so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    The JU7100 does not seem to be available in Belgium/Netherlands or even Europe sadly enough, going to see if I can find out more on the Sony, there is a 300 Euro price difference with the curved Samsung.

Thx for the help so far.
    If that Sony one is like the one I linked (hard to know because companies change the name for no apparent reason between regions), you'd want to avoid it like the plague since it's IPS and not VA. The super bad black levels of IPS are extremely noticeable at televisions, specially at night with lights off.

The curve of the JU7500 isn't exactly bad either, if you're the only one watching the TV and can stay at the center of it, it's actually good. If you go off-angle or there are multiple people watching it, then the curve is bad.

According to this site the Sony is indeed IPS http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/0f0212c

I would not use it in a dark room anyways, I hate watching in a dark room, to tiresome on my eyes, so far though the Samsung has my preference, and since i'll be the sole user, off center viewing is not an issue, still I will go to the shop I linked earlier to look at the tv's in person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just pay attention that at the shops they're usually set at "dynamic mode" which is burning bright and blue as fuck.
    If you can, ask to change the mode into movie mode (the default movie mode is close enough to what it should look like, at least at the JU7500) and then you can see it better =)

Well took me a while but I finally bought one, after some consideration I went for a 40 inch one since I wont be sitting very far from it. I ended up with the Samsung ue40ju6400 which is considered pretty good for gaming from my investigations. I'm liking it so far