Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Oh right. When its about smokers all discrimination yellers forget what discrimination is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    ASH do them, they are a lobbyist group though.

The tax revenue from tobacco and tobacco companies > NHS costs and loss of productivity.

Unless they add in additional losses for smoke breaks, which seem a bit dubious as most companies do not allow them in Britain - you would normally have people smoking on tea breaks and lunch. Even then you have to add in taxes paid by employees of the tobacco industry and lowered costs of people not living as long on average.
    Please show it to me. I can't find it anywhere. Everything I have seen shows around an 11 billion pound tax and 11 billion pound weight on healthcare, ignoring losses in productivity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Oh right. When its about smokers all discrimination yellers forget what discrimination is.
    You can choose to smoke. You aren't born with a cigarette in your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Good. If you want to smoke do it in your own place, not where other people have to put up with it.
    I have to put up with fat people in public places.
    Should we make them housebound?

Fucking asinine comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Great idea. If people want to kill themselves, they can do so in the privacy of their own homes.
    Like obesity?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I know that smoking on patios here in Canada was banned last summer and have heard commentary from establishment owners that it has had some negative impact on their sales, but nothing huge. As for smoking in public outdoor places in general? Yeah, that I can support. Nothing more disgusting than going shopping either at a store or mall and having to walk through a fucking haze of smoke from the people lurking right in front of the door. Most private businesses have setup smoking areas to meet recent law changes but malls for instance, are not forced to comply for some dumb reason.

Sweden should go nuts, but they should expect to hear about it from businesses who will no doubt whine because of lost revenue from banning smoking outdoors at restaurants. That said, I love being able to chill on a patio on a warm summer day and not have to breath in that shit.

Like obesity?
    Obese people can't enter a restaurant and have the ability to not be obese. I hope you see where I'm going with this.

As a non-smoker I would of course welcome this decision, however, without being biased, I do think that facilities should at least have the freedom of choosing themselves whether they allow smoking outside or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Fucking asinine comparison.
    They clog up doors, eat buffets empty, sweat, stink, require extra attention and seats.

They arent a health risk (for others, maybe their children) but they sure as hell are fucking anoying.

Do they have a direct influence on your health? Afaik there is no "passive fat" effect.

Deleted
    Obese people can't enter a restaurant and have the ability to not be obese. I hope you see where I'm going with this.
    They chose to become obese.
    Like a smoker chose to smoke.

Smokeing is an addiction. One just doesnt stop.
    Obesity is something one cant stop either.

Deleted
    Ban all smokers of all kind from this entire planet. You can always make cannabis edibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Does Sweden, like many other countries receive massive tax dollars from cigarette sales?

They want to ban smoking, but dont want to lose that revenue. So lets just make it harder and harder.
    Dunno how much it is, but yes, tobacco and alcohol are both taxed heavily. They could free pot and prostitution and tax that and they would make a lot more, but they just dither on that issue. Shrug. Billions missed. They could bring in a couple of million more "refugees" on that alone. Of course muslims might think twice about moving here if drugs and sex became government controlled trades
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Because it's a health issue. 2nd hand smoke can still cause cancer and a variety of other things.
    So can bacon, according to studies this year. Do you still eat bacon?

In Australia, smoking has now been banned within 4 meters of any public commercial building. That includes restaurants, shopping centers, the platforms at train stations, pretty much everywhere that's not open public on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well, I know that smoking on patios here in Canada was banned last summer and have heard commentary from establishment owners that it has had some negative impact on their sales, but nothing huge. As for smoking in public outdoor places in general? Yeah, that I can support. Nothing more disgusting than going shopping either at a store or mall and having to walk through a fucking haze of smoke from the people lurking right in front of the door. Most private businesses have setup smoking areas to meet recent law changes but malls for instance, are not forced to comply for some dumb reason.

Sweden should go nuts, but they should expect to hear about it from businesses who will no doubt whine because of lost revenue from banning smoking outdoors at restaurants. That said, I love being able to chill on a patio on a warm summer day and not have to breath in that shit.
    I'm okay with the law because I've dealt with it since about this time last year here, but I also enjoyed having a cigarette at a bar in Bali, beer in hand, watching the sports.
    Last edited by Volibear; 2016-06-07 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Ban all smokers of all kind from this entire planet. You can always make cannabis edibles.
    Working on the patent for gummi weed right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Do they have a direct influence on your health? Afaik there is no "passive fat" effect.
    Second hand smokeing.
    Second hand eating untill obesity follows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I hate the smell of that damn smoke so yes. Just ban it outdoors.

Don't see a problem with it being banned from those places as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please show it to me. I can't find it anywhere. Everything I have seen shows around an 11 billion pound tax and 11 billion pound weight on healthcare, ignoring losses in productivity.
    This has £12bn income, but excludes employee tax contributions, and £14bn outgoing, but including a rather dodgy £2.9bn for smoke breaks - also taxes on tobacco have gone up since then.

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-sm...akes-treasury/

ASH have various facts sheets, but they have £19.4bn income and £13.9bn outgoing, so take their figures with a pinch of salt.

http://ash.org.uk/information/facts-...ts/fact-sheets

The problem is that everyone massages the figures, so ASH make odd claims about what is income from tobacco and anti-smoking groups include smoke breaks that employees would be taking anyway.

They chose to become obese.
    Like a smoker chose to smoke.

Smokeing is an addiction. One just doesnt stop.
    Obesity is something one cant stop either.
    Nobody ever lost weight or stopped smoking? Damnit, I guess I gotta make myself disappear twice over.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"