Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Did Blizz ever gave an explanation why WoD also had a 1 year+ content drought?

I remember how Tom Chilton explained why we had SoO in Pandaria so long. He said the 50% increase in staff members made things go slower than expected and that SoO was running 5 months too long and he was sorry. I don't recall any explanation why Hellfire Citadel is running for 12+ months and no other content. Did I miss it? If there was any, please link it, I'm really curious.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Isn't it obvious? They were focusing on other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I remember how Tom Chilton explained why we had SoO in Pandaria so long. He said the 50% increase in staff members made things go slower than expected and that SoO was running 5 months too long and he was sorry. I don't recall any explanation why Hellfire Citadel is running for 12+ months and no other content. Did I miss it? If there was any, please link it, I'm really curious.
    Apparently that 50% suffered from some kind of mental retardation and have been unable to come up to speed.

No reason that they would or should. It is highly unlikely it is one specific thing too. So trying to list off multiple reasons or factors into it certainly wont happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Isn't it obvious? They were focusing on other games.
    Yup that must be it because there is no way they have different teams for different projects.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

"Oops!"

/10chars

Have they signed some sort of contract stating expansions cant last more than 1 year or what?

7+ Year Old Account
    They abandoned this expansion pretty much right out of the gate...? Or you couldn't tell?
    There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish
    I will do what I must to keep the balance!

Horde:Driefal-Cravius-Ristir-RonedSenthes

They don't have to give us and explanation, but im sure someone internally had to give an explanation to others because its surely a big part of the reason why wow has so few subs.

Or maybe they still think its just because the playerbase is growing up and having kids so they don't have time to play anymore. It has nothing to do with a whole xpac only getting 1 content patch right? Lol...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious as well but it would probably just be a general statement saying "Oh we were working on legion, to make it an amazing expansion and that's why WoD turned out to be less than half the game we planned."

I think he meant that the staff members themselves became 50 % bigger

I didn't see an explanation, but I wasn't terribly surprised that we got a long gap, given the tradition from WotLK (and possibly BC, but I don't remember). I was however disappointed, as 14 months of 6.2 ... eh, I don't even kno, just "wtf blizz!" is all I can say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Have they signed some sort of contract stating expansions cant last more than 1 year or what?
    The Blizzdrones are out in full force today. No, they haven't signed a contract that states they can't last more than a year.

But when they come out and say they're going to make shorter expansions so we don't get a year+ of the last raid tier then you kinda expect them to do what they're saying they will.

WoD wasn't going well so they dropped everything and focused on legion.

Maybe they realized it wasn't worth to spend time and resources on a failed expansion
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    "Oops!"

/10chars
    loooooooooooool

Probably the same reason we had a year's worth of SoO in MoP.
    ~RAWR!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a little upset with 2 tiers this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    When games are subscription based, having a year or more of zero content updates tends to piss people off. I mean, it's not that hard to figure out.

because it takes longer to develop content than it does to complete it. Better the drought is at the end of an expansion than the middle, they could launch legion now, but we'd have to wait a year for 7.1.... droughts are inevitable, better now than when more people are/want to play. Blizzard themselves understand why people unsub, it could hit 1M subs and still keep going, because 5-6 will always come back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    There has been studies into this, generally in the it world a team of between 160 - 320 is the optimal size, expanding it beyond that creates a reverse too many chiefs and not enough indians scenario where you have too many indians and informationflow slows down. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's generally considered fact.

They have said they want to make shorter content droughts all the way since Dragon soul, but it never happens.