4 new elements get names

The proposed names for elements 113, 115, 117 and 118 are nihonium, moscovium, tennessine and oganesson respectively, the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (Iupac) has announced.
    ‘It’s an exciting day for the world,’ says Lynn Soby, Iupac’s executive director.
    The groups responsible for the discovery of these new elements each put forward their proposed name and symbol after Iupac confirmed their existence in January 2016. The criteria states an element may be named after a mythological figure or concept, geological place, scientist, elemental property, or mineral.
    Nihonium (elemental symbol Nh) is the proposed name for element-113. The element was synthesised by Kosuke Morita’s group at RIKEN in Japan after they bombarded a bismuth target with zinc-70 nuclei in 2004 and 2012. Named after Japan, the element will be the first East Asian name to appear on the periodic table if ratified.
    Scientists based in Russia and the US who discovered elements 115 and 117 have put forward the names moscovium (Mc) and tennessine (Ts), respectively. A collaboration between the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research in Russia and the Oak Ridge and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, US, elements 115 and 117 were both created in 2010. Both element names take their cues from geographical regions. Moscovium is named after Moscow, where the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research is based. Named after Tennessee, tennessine is a tribute to the region where a large amount of superheavy element research is conducted in the US.
    The same group has also named element-118 oganesson (Og), in honour of the Russian nuclear physicist Yuri Oganessian who led the team that synthesised element-117.
    The names will now be put up for public scrutiny in a five month consultation process before Iupac ratify the final names. ‘It’s important for people around the world to review the names to make sure that they fit with all the different languages,’ Soby tells Chemistry World. ‘Now the public and the scientific community can weigh in on things.’
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ts-get-names1/
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Dafuq happened to 114 & 116?

#AllElementsMatter
    Element 114 is Flerovium element 116 is Livermorium / Ununhexium. The number of an element is the atomic number which is how many protons the element has. So Element 114 and 116 were discovered and named before element 113.

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Dafuq happened to 114 & 116?

#AllElementsMatter
    Well wiki seems to think they are already named, Flerovium and Livemorium respectively. I wasn't aware they actually managed to prove the existence of 118 though.

15+ Year Old Account
    So all synthetic then? Come back to me when you find a practical use for the, and make it easily made.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    So all synthetic then? Come back to me when you find a practical use for the, and make it easily made.
    Since they aren't stable they probably won't ever have much use besides theoretical stepping stones in some nuclear reactions. It'll only be getting interesting again if the theory holds that at a certain point new elements may become (somewhat) stable again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Since they aren't stable they probably won't ever have much use besides theoretical stepping stones in some nuclear reactions. It'll only be getting interesting again if the theory holds that at a certain point new elements may become (somewhat) stable again.
    I always wonder why people waste their time and come on this kind of thing.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I mean.. you complain on a gaming forum about other people's pursuit of knowledge. Plenty of ways to waste time..

Each new super-heavy element is another step towards proving or disproving the existence of "Island of stability" elements: superheavy elements with practically useful lifespans. If these heavy-but-stable elements exist, they probably exhibit exotic chemical and nuclear properties, which is a fancy way of saying "Shit's Magic, Yo."

I mean.. you complain on a gaming forum about other people's pursuit of knowledge. Plenty of ways to waste time..
    Yeah it's just ridiculous how people try to expand out knowledge about how the universe works when they could be commenting on a gaming forum.

Deleted
    If science followed that philosophy, you wouldn't be using a computer at the moment.

Deleted
    new element is iphonium if handled incorrectly it will cause you to get more iphoniums and then you will be come addicted to the element,

Deleted
    Because science is awesome.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=2088

15+ Year Old Account
    But there is so many other science fields that this money could be put towards.

I'm not anti science, more just trying to be more efficient.
    Last edited by apepi; 2016-06-08 at 08:06 PM.

But there is so many other science fields that this money could be put towards.

I'm not anti science, more just trying to be more efficient.
    So basically you don't agree with it so nobody should do it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I still prefer 115 being called Elerium xD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So basically you don't agree with it so nobody should do it.
    They can do it all they want, but I just think it could go into better studies and such.

But it is not like I am the all knowing/choosing funding science person who chooses what money goes where.

No Polyxonium. Am disappoint