Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is your Job safe from Robots ?

Foxconn, a key manufacturing partner for Apple, Google and Amazon, is the world’s 10th largest employer and it has already replaced 60,000 workers with robots, according to a recent note written in part by analyst John Seagrim at CLSA.

• Walmart, the third-largest global employer with 2.1 million workers, wants to replace its warehouse stock-checkers with flying drones that can scan miles of shelves in a fraction of the time.

• And the US Department of Defence, the No.1 global employer, is already ;flying the world’s largest fleet of unmanned aerial vehicles — drones, basically — in its various Middle East conflicts. The US DoD has at least 7,362 RQ-11 Ravens in operation for instance.

and 77% of all Chinese jobs could go to robots.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/cl...rkforce-2016-6

Is your job safe from Robots ?
    Or will Robbie & Robina the Robots take your place at your office desk and tell you to go away ?

Yes, Asimo can't even use stairs.

Almost all jobs will be replaced after enough time. Manual labor and the lower end service jobs though are just in the immediate firing line due to being less complex.

Sadly it would kind of crush my local area as there's such a huge divide in employment opportunities. You either work for the government for a contractor or subcontractor for Dahlgren Naval Base or you work in the plethora of service based jobs around it like large fast food chains, grocery, or retail. There's minimal job options in between without driving an hour+ to the closest urban area and those service jobs would be some of the first to go with management at them even making it known that corporate is planning on phasing out staff over the next 5 years.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2016-06-09 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    My job (and most of my industry) is nearly over, all I really do now is watch the algos make most of the decisions and then convince myself I still need humans to tweak the robots

I expect to retire somewhere sunny and fun, and the whole technical trading profession (as done by humans) to disappear entirely in under a decade

Deleted
    Well the moment my job is replaced by robots we'll have developed an incredible AI which means that i'll be able to swap my current job as a programmer with one in Skynet LTD.

I design robots, so until AI get good enough for them to do that themselves, I would guess yes my job is safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    experimental AI is just entering law now.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if accurate but this link is trying to predict if you're safe if you want to work : http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...e-by-a-machine

Though we will all certainly be safe for long enough and might not be lucky enough to get benefit from the increase of technology to have more spare time.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-06-09 at 01:06 PM.

Yes, I work in R&D on the process side of things. There are some specific tasks that I do that would be a lot easier/more streamlined if a robot did them, but that would account for only probably 10-15% of what I do and its still probably much more cost effective for me to do it than design multiple robots for those specific things (the nature of the tasks would be impractical for a single robot), especially when the bulk of what I do will require an actual person until we get into the advanced territory where robots are essentially taking over all human activities.

Deleted
    Unfortunatly or luckily if employment hours are lowered but pay increased. Is that automation is probably the best course.

Sooner or later it will happen anyways, if not now it will happen during hard economic times to cut costs. And thanks to automation it keeps the production cost competitive with third world. I don't think automation will bring production/employment back, taking it away from china unless their is heavy goverment involvement.
    But, I do think it will keep the production in the country.

Until computer scientists develop computer scientist robots, I am safe.

7+ Year Old Account
    Robot geologist... that would be awesome, probably not too soon tho.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I remember what happened in Robocop when they tried to use robots to even do basic security work. Didn't go so well. I think there'll be work as a goon for me for years to come.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Deleted
    I have an engineering degree in industrial robotics and electronics, I'd say my prospects are quite good

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably for a while at least. There's enough creative modeling happening that I'm not sure automation will be able to deal with this for a while.

That said, automation might end up making it easier to the point where eventually 85% of my job can be done automatically, and the other 15% can be handled by a few other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    Robot geologist... that would be awesome, probably not too soon tho.
    Heh, we have computers doing most of our geophysical processing.

And we're starting to look into using drones (both aerial sea-going) and and self driving carts to assist in the actual data acquisition. The advent of autonomous nodes has already reduced the sizes of our field crews by a factor of three.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Not sure if accurate but this link is tryong to predict if you're safe if you want to work : http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...e-by-a-machine

Though we will all certainly be safe for long enough and might not be lucky enough to get benefit from the increase of technology to have more spare time.
    That link says I have a 6.9% chance to be automated. It's a pretty loose fit to the job though.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-06-09 at 01:00 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    According to that one study put together that was circulating a while back, my job has a 1.2% chance of being replaced by robots in the next 20 years. Far too much decision making, team dynamics, constant human interaction, and judgment calls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Foxconn, a key manufacturing partner for Apple, Google and Amazon, is the world’s 10th largest employer and it has already replaced 60,000 workers with robots, according to a recent note written in part by analyst John Seagrim at CLSA.

• Walmart, the third-largest global employer with 2.1 million workers, wants to replace its warehouse stock-checkers with flying drones that can scan miles of shelves in a fraction of the time.

• And the US Department of Defence, the No.1 global employer, is already ;flying the world’s largest fleet of unmanned aerial vehicles — drones, basically — in its various Middle East conflicts. The US DoD has at least 7,362 RQ-11 Ravens in operation for instance.

and 77% of all Chinese jobs could go to robots.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/cl...rkforce-2016-6

Is your job safe from Robots ?
    Or will Robbie & Robina the Robots take your place at your office desk and tell you to go away ?

Until Robots can express empathy, my job is 100% secure.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Link says 7%. I find that unbelievable. US NRC would never allow that. At least not on site at a plant. (Nuclear Engineer)

Deleted
    No robot in the modern sense could do my job, an AI could though but the movies had warned me what a real bad idea that would be.

Deleted
    Yes, my job is still safe for I work with software. So, essentially, I'd be the one testing and checking the code for those things most likely one day.