Deleted

[Oklahoma] Cops Find A New Way To Take People’s Money (Civil Forfeiture)

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e39a28ac2083

Oklahoma police agencies are being equipped with devices that allow officers to scan prepaid debit cards and target funds linked to them for civil asset forfeiture, which allows law enforcers to permanently seize property they suspect is connected to criminal activity.

The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety has purchased Electronic Recovery and Access to Data machines for installation in Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Oklahoma City police cruisers, according to an Oklahoma Watch report published Tuesday. The device tells officers the balance of prepaid debit cards and gift cards, and allows them to seize the money if they determine it’s suspicious. ERAD readers also can provide limited information about pretty much any card with a magnetic strip, including bank debit cards and credit cards.

Oklahoma has become a battleground in the debate over civil asset forfeiture reform in recent years, prompted by high-profile cases of cops using the practice to take cash and property from innocent people — often without charging them with a crime. Thanks to the new ERAD readers, police can now access people’s electronic funds as well.

Each ERAD reader is costing the state about $5,000, plus about $1,500 for training. The state has agreed to pay the manufacturer, ERAD Group, 7.7 percent of all funds forfeited with the readers.
    First they came for your cash, no spoke out
    Then they came for your prepaid cards,
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-06-09 at 06:55 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e39a28ac2083

First they came for your cash, no spoke out
    Then they came for your prepaid cards,
    I guess cops now are little more than thieves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I guess cops now are little more than thieves.
    Legalized highway robbery.

Literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooooooklahoma, where the cops come and try to steal your stuff!

but seriously, I HATE asset forfeiture. It is so easily exploitable and puts the onus on the victim of it, which is absolutely idiotic.

Oooooooklahoma, where the cops come and try to steal your stuff!

but seriously, I HATE asset forfeiture. It is so easily exploitable and puts the onus on the victim of it, which is absolutely idiotic.
    The funny thing is that defendant isn't you. It's your property. 'United States vs. Ten Thousand in Cash'
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

As I said in the thread that was about this yesterday, replacing your leather wallet with a metallic card case prevents card scanners like this from working. Only time you're actually vulnerable is when you're making a transaction.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    As I said in the thread that was about this yesterday, replacing your leather wallet with a metallic card case prevents card scanners like this from working. Only time you're actually vulnerable is when you're making a transaction.
    Im not quite sure, but I dont think this protects you from cops, who would likely ask to see such things and then scan it, rather than sneak scan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Huh? This is not criminals or specifically contactless technology.

This is the police. They already have powers to search you and seize anything on your person or vehicle. What difference would any physical case make then?

Im not quite sure, but I dont think this protects you from cops, who would likely ask to see such things and then scan it, rather than sneak scan.
    It probably also gives them more bullshit justification for taking it. 'Oh, you were trying to prevent us from taking it? Why?'

10+ Year Old Account
    Old news. In fact we had a thread about this not too long ago.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Of-A-Crime

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, didnt know about that thread. Missed it.

In which case, closing and redirecting to : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Of-A-Crime