Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Don't buy that 9xx series card! First consider the GTX 1070...

The vibe I'm getting from his review, is whether you buy a 970-980 Ti used or new, you might not want to. For the price difference (if there even is one...) the 1070 is going to do better, with less power, likely create less heat... why buy old technology?
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2016-06-10 at 08:52 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    -snip-

The vibe I'm getting from his review, is whether you buy a 970-980 Ti used or new, you might not want to. For the price difference (if there even is one...) the 1070 is going to do better, with less power, likely create less heat... why buy old technology? Get some of that GDDR5X!
    With a $380 MSRP on the 1070, and the current FEs going for more than that, why would you even buy one of those when you can Crossfire 2 RX 480s and get better than 1080 performance. If the rumors are true of course. We'll see at the end of the month. The 480 is going to be $199, so 2 of them is only $398, not that mush more than a 1070, for far better performance. The 1070s and 1080s seems like really stupid decisions if the 480 rumors are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    With a $380 MSRP on the 1070, why would you even buy one of those when you can Crossfire 2 RX 480s and get better than 1080 performance. If the rumors are true of course. We'll see at the end of the month.
    I'm still waiting on news of the potential $300 Polaris card before I decide on crossfire 480s or a single 1070. Best to weigh all of your options.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    I'm still waiting on news of the potential $300 Polaris card before I decide on crossfire 480s or a single 1070. Best to weigh all of your options.
    Yeah, me too. Actually, I'm waiting on Vega 10, which will likely be $400+. The 480s appear to be a cut down Polaris 10 GPU though, so they still have the full chip for the 490, though no official word on this yet, I would bet it comes out before Vega 10, which is supposed to be Oct.

With a $380 MSRP on the 1070, and the current FEs going for more than that, why would you even buy one of those when you can Crossfire 2 RX 480s and get better than 1080 performance. If the rumors are true of course. We'll see at the end of the month. The 480 is going to be $199, so 2 of them is only $398, not that mush more than a 1070, for far better performance. The 1070s and 1080s seems like really stupid decisions if the 480 rumors are true.
    There are no such rumors.

The 480s allegedly outperform a 1080 in Ashes of the singularity.

Thats the same as if BMW claimed that their newest high end car would take more time to sink as a Audi would if they both where to drive into a lake. Absolutley absurd scenarios that no one should care for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, until I see verified results of the RX 480 (those ones in that 3D Mark 11 thread seem very fishy, something isn't right) I'm not believing it.

They are indeed rumors and I would suggest everyyyyyoooone holds off on ANY GPU PURCHASE AT ALL until AMD is fully launched and everything has been benched.

If AMD's $200 options are really THAT good, then obviously NVidia would be stupid not to lower theirs, in turn.

But seriously, those scores for $200? Rofl.

Also, that 1080 score is definitely fake/on a 1080 that was running 500MHz or less, since that can happen with a failed OC.

Before we all keep sharing fake/bad information, let's look at REAL scores, not just screenshots.

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2...+1.0.132/1+gpu
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    the 1070 is going to do better, with less power, likely create less heat... why buy old technology? Get some of that GDDR5X!
    The 1070 doesn't even have GDDR5X.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    The 1070 doesn't even have GDDR5X.
    Stop inserting lies into my quotes Artorius! Friends don't do that! :P

Thanks for the fix. Still, older tech is older, either way.
    "A flower.

Crossfire 2 RX 480s
    You answered your own question, right there.

Crossfire (and SLI) are finicky and unreliable, at best.... And not viable in all cases (im an mITX enthusiast, myself, so SLI/Xfire are right out); id rather have a 100% working solution, not a solution that might work most of the time but not when i need it.

I sure am glad that I held off on updating my setup. Now to figure out which CPU to match with the 1070...

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

Crossfire (and SLI) are finicky and unreliable, at best.... And not viable in all cases (im an mITX enthusiast, myself, so SLI/Xfire are right out); id rather have a 100% working solution, not a solution that might work most of the time but not when i need it.
    I agree with that entirely. So many games just don't support crossfire or SLI at all, so many do it very badly.
    Sure in games that work, you may get good performance. In those that don't, half your performance vanishes immediately.

Always favor a stronger single card, even if it ends up slightly weaker then the CF/SLI option.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    No way in hell the 1070 is going to be $380 anytime soon.

My 960 broke a good while ago and I've been forced to use a 660 as a replacement. The only reason I haven't bought a new card is because I've been waiting for the 1000 series. The prices are just silly in europe though so I'm going with a 970. I can't wait any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    That's it's announced price from NVidia themselves.
    Go to their factory then and buy it direct. Stores gonna make up all sorts of numbers of their own (this close to launch overpriced).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Go to their factory then and buy it direct. Stores gonna make up all sorts of numbers of their own (this close to launch overpriced).
    nVidia will charge you $ 449,- however.. not $ 379,-

I remember when I used to work in goods reception for a big multimedia store, we had to take MSRP and detract 10% for the shop price, doubt you will find a 1080 or 1070 at MSRP while they are still relevant.

I believe Evga's standard ACX 3.0 card will be 419$ US side, which is a 40$ bump from the 379$ MSRP.
    Which is funny since the EVGA's same version for the 1080 is only 619$ with the MSRP 599$.

Nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    My 960 broke a good while ago and I've been forced to use a 660 as a replacement. The only reason I haven't bought a new card is because I've been waiting for the 1000 series. The prices are just silly in europe though so I'm going with a 970. I can't wait any longer.
    No warranty for the 960?

- - - Updated - - -

The vibe I'm getting from his review, is whether you buy a 970-980 Ti used or new, you might not want to. For the price difference (if there even is one...) the 1070 is going to do better, with less power, likely create less heat... why buy old technology?
    For the right price, I'd buy a 970-980 Ti. Especially since nobody has a 1070 in stock. It's a freakin paper launch.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1070/

Deleted
    I'm selling my gtx 980 sli next week and getting 1080 sli instead, gonna be saving around 300-400 eur aswell.

Deleted
    Well stores charge in a profit, charges for storing it in optimal conditions and then service into it.

Logical their prices are higher than factory prices, but in most countries you can't get factory goods unless you are a dealer yourself.