Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Americans are dying at the highest rate in more than a decade.

Americans died at a higher rate in 2015, news that comes as a surprise to experts who are used to seeing a decline in the number of deaths.

The age-adjusted death rate was 729.5 deaths per 100,000 people in 2015, compared with 723.2 in 2014. That might not sound like much, but an increase in the overall rate is incredibly rare. The last time we saw significant upticks in the death rate was 2005, when there was an especially bad flu season. There was also an increase in 1993, but that was in the pre-protease inhibitor era, when more people were dying from HIV. There was a small increase in 1999 as well.

It may be too early to tell what's driving the current trend, which is based on preliminary research gathered by the National Center for Health Statistics from last year's death records. Death rates have improved over the years due to advances in modern medicine, public safety improvements such as seat belt laws and a decline in the number of people who take up smoking. Better disease management has also helped.

Though cancer deaths have stayed about the same, last year's uptick in deaths seems to be concentrated in a handful of diseases. There were more deaths in people who have Alzheimer's, chronic lower respiratory disease, Parkinson's, stroke, septicemia and hypertension. Deaths from preventable causes, such as firearm deaths and homicides, seem to be up. There were also more suicides, drug overdoses, falls and accidents.
    The increasing number of suicides and drug overdoses has made headlines recently, especially among white women, working-class men and people with less education, according to research.

(Source)

As a mild aside and personal note I could actually easily be certified as a mortician so this is actually sort of good news for one of my earlier teenage career goals. However, it is a bit odd that deaths would uptick. Coincidentally, or not so coincidentally? birth rates are also ticking down(Apologies for WSJ link) though the birth rate thing is likely a trend, and this death rate thing an oddity, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an awful lot of you down there. You guys will be okay. Besides the ones that are dying, that is...

Well duh.

The nation with the most lax gun enforcement and some of the worst healthcare(in terms of availability and end-user cost) in the first world having higher death rates?

Color me shocked.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't seem that strange to me...

Getting to the point when baby boomers will start dying out. That coupled with multitudes of studies claiming we are more obese than ever and continually getting fatter as a population...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    There's an awful lot of you down there. You guys will be okay. Besides the ones that are dying, that is...
    Dead people make quiet neighbors, its why my dream home is a former undertakers house, preferably right next to the cemetery, or in it IF I can. Imagine the peace and quiet. And the Halloween parties.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

15+ Year Old Account
    Overdosing on freedom probably.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Well duh.

The nation with the most lax gun enforcement and some of the worst healthcare(in terms of availability and end-user cost) in the first world having higher death rates?

Color me shocked.
    True, deaths from firearms is up. And our health services are shit/non-existent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Dead people make quiet neighbors, its why my dream home is a former undertakers house, preferably right next to the cemetery, or in it IF I can. Imagine the peace and quiet. And the Halloween parties.
    Lmao true enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, deaths from firearms is up. And our health services are shit/non-existent.
    Although I'd expect old age diseases to continue to rise due to baby boomers. There's not much you can do to prevent dying from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, other than dying from something else first.

7+ Year Old Account
    Although I'd expect old age diseases to continue to rise due to baby boomers. There's not much you can do to prevent dying from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, other than dying from something else first.
    The Boomer die off does approach, is this the beginning for great dying?

My mother has requested I poison her if she loses her mind...... which would make for one crazy afternoon of tea with my mom.

10+ Year Old Account

My mother has requested I poison her if she loses her mind...... which would make for one crazy afternoon of tea with my mom.
    Possibly. My dad is on the early end and he's 67. So assuming average life is early 70s it's pretty close. Although I refuse to believe my dad won't live forever.

I've also said I'd ok with my parents getting assisted suicide if they get dementia diseases. I've seen what they do to people, and death is a far kinder fate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Possibly. My dad is on the early end and he's 67. So assuming average life is early 70s it's pretty close. Although I refuse to believe my dad won't live forever.

I've also said I'd ok with my parents getting assisted suicide if they get dementia diseases. I've seen what they do to people, and death is a far kinder fate.
    My step dad won't quit smoking. He already almost kicked it a few years ago when pneumonia and his love of smoking really just came together.

I can agree to it, It just depends on were. Does my mom want to buy buried back in Wales or in the States? I don't want to herd an Alzheimer old woman back across the sea just so I can poison her and conveniently stick her in the ground.

That's personally my expectation. I've considered this for awhile now, more so as my parents are climbing through their 60's. :\
    Horseshit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Overdosing on freedom probably.
    I would rather have extra freedom than extra authoritarianism.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-06-11 at 06:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is nothing wrong with authoritarianism.
    the study doesn't seem to have any conclusive evidence as to what's causing it and without that all this is little more than wild speculation and thinly veiled nation bashing.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Why should I give up a free society for an authoritarian society?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Why should I give up a free society for an authoritarian society?
    You wouldn't have to make as many decisions, think of all the time you would save!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the study doesn't seem to have any conclusive evidence as to what's causing it and without that all this is little more than wild speculation and thinly veiled nation bashing.
    I don't really see how it can be nation bashing to point out vital statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    You wouldn't have to make as many decisions, think of all the time you would save!
    Meh, it's like living at home with your parents.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like statistical deviation to me, since the increase happened first time in 10 years. If the increase continues for the next 2-3 years, then we can talk about some kind of tendency; but as it is, I wouldn't give much meaning to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.