Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Blizzard attracted a lot of new players with WCIII, so it makes sense for many people to end with WOTLK. Like a lot of people mentioned previously, Arthas was not the best written character that they had, but it is probably the most relate able. Human, rise and fall, destruction and the after effects. I think many people felt for the stories in Eastern/Western Plaguelands as well.

Most people quit around that time because the majority of that age group that played WCIII/Classic moved on to IRL stuff.

Maybe but had they stuck only to the things we knew from the RTS, they really wouldn't have been left with much to work with in the grand scheme.

Warcraft finished at Warcraft 2.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Personally I feel that alot of people felt the same way even more so with the shit story that fallowed in cata. I also feel a good amount of the original sub loss was because of that.

(Not saying all but a good amount).

The Warcraft RTS story ended with wrath.
    Erm no it didn't. A certain part of it did, but that's it.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Why? I can't recall of anyone ever having that discussion before either.
    It's pretty widespread yeah. I tend to agree with it. Cataclysm and MoP had nothing of interest to me in terms of story. I've kept playing for raids and friends. WoTLK was the last time I actually got "kicks" out of the storylines.

Not all have quit for it, but it's pretty common thought among people who've played Warcraft RTSes, especially if they've just played Warcraft 3 and the expansion. Simply giving a dragon a name and bit of personality won't make consider it a worthwhile villain for an expansion. There needs to be more than.. "Well he's really bad".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    i think that 5 milliojn hardcore fan of wow disagree with you, stop thinking for the mass
    Over 100 million people have played World of Warcraft which indicates at least 95 million no longer play it and in essence, disagree with the 5 million people that still do.

In regards to the OP, I totally agree WoW died at the end of WOTLK due to the terrible design changes that were added at the end of WOTLK, and throughout after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Um........it was in one of their fucking books, so I think it has a source.
    I was mainly complaining about the retconned part. Or was the book published before War3?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rufix View Post
    Warcraft finished at Warcraft 2.
    Amen.

10chars.

Quote Originally Posted by gulsane200 View Post
    Over 100 million people have played World of Warcraft which indicates at least 95 million no longer play it and in essence, disagree with the 5 million people that still do.

In regards to the OP, I totally agree WoW died at the end of WOTLK due to the terrible design changes that were added at the end of WOTLK, and throughout after it.
    Where are those numbers coming from? WoW's peak was around like 12 million subscribers.

Over 100 million people (even if that's an accurate number) playing WoW doesn't mean that they were playing at the same timeframe as WoTLK or even indicative of why they left.

Many of those people could of left before Wrath was even announced.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Interesting conversation I heard a couple.days ago. Was heading to Friday night magic and overheard these two dudes chatting next to me. They were roughly in their late 20s dicussing warcraft
    I caught one thing they said that really stood out. He said "I really considered warcraft finished at the end of wotlk. The main characters had had their day in the sun and the trilogy was over for me. People ask me to come back but it's really just over as far as I'm concerned ". I thought about this point I wondered if it was wide spread. Do you think that this is a fairly common feeling among ex wow players?
    But it didn't. It simply finished up the old stories, as did cata. Then MOP brought in a new world, WOD brought the worst world, and now Legion is beginning an entirely new storyline
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore