Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

warcraft finished at wrath

Interesting conversation I heard a couple.days ago. Was heading to Friday night magic and overheard these two dudes chatting next to me. They were roughly in their late 20s dicussing warcraft
    I caught one thing they said that really stood out. He said "I really considered warcraft finished at the end of wotlk. The main characters had had their day in the sun and the trilogy was over for me. People ask me to come back but it's really just over as far as I'm concerned ". I thought about this point I wondered if it was wide spread. Do you think that this is a fairly common feeling among ex wow players?
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Interesting conversation I heard a couple.days ago. Was heading to Friday night magic and overheard these two dudes chatting next to me. They were roughly in their late 20s dicussing warcraft
    I caught one thing they said that really stood out. He said "I really considered warcraft finished at the end of wotlk. The main characters had had their day in the sun and the trilogy was over for me. People ask me to come back but it's really just over as far as I'm concerned ". I thought about this point I wondered if it was wide spread. Do you think that this is a fairly common feeling among ex wow players?
    Personally I feel that alot of people felt the same way even more so with the shit story that fallowed in cata. I also feel a good amount of the original sub loss was because of that.

(Not saying all but a good amount).

The Warcraft RTS story ended with wrath.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    yes they are right but eh

deathwing was mentioned in warcraft
    chen and the pandaren were in warcraft
    sargeras, the warlords

so not really but yeah some people will see it that way, the people they grew up with in warcraft 1, 2,3 are gone now
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Deleted
    No Wrath brough it down, it was the wrath design that made it bad. It was Arthas lovers. Because they didn't know Ner'zhul.

It's more of a meme, "the Lich King died and Warcraft died with him". Honestly? I don't think the character was that good, there have been several much better written characters introduced in WoW.

The franchise didn't orbit around Arthas, and it definitely didn't die with him.

I heard this view so many times over the years, I am a bit skeptical you haven't heard it before.

In a way I agree. WotLK introduced the worst changes in WoW: the LFG tool and varied raid difficulty. Even though the effects of those changes on the community became visible only over time (mostly in Cata), that's when they started.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yes they are right but eh

deathwing was mentioned in warcraft
    chen and the pandaren were in warcraft
    sargeras, the warlords

so not really but yeah some people will see it that way, the people they grew up with in warcraft 1, 2,3 are gone now
    Chen was a 5min easter egg in Warcraft....

Just saying.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft is no MMO anymore thats why (i think) people like me who played first 3 expensions then abandoned the game. Warcraft offers no fun-rewarding leveling no loot those 2 are cores of the mmo genree. If you shit on leveling and loot system you shit on your entire game and no1 wants to play with shit. Dirty and smelly ayy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well cataclysm was the only moment in the game where they removed an insane amount of the game. I still think what happened after is worth it. But I assume there would still be millions of players if the game stopped at wotlk. Kind of like old video games, all sort fo things happen around and they are still played (speedruns, challenges ...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly to me the only people who generally say that only starts Warcraft with Warcraft 3. Not to say Wrath was not good but it was awesome for a lot of people to finally see characters they cared about. Warcraft 3 was the first time that Blizzard had finally started to somewhat nail story telling and they had built up this arc with Arthas and having it finally end was closure for a lot of people.

Sure it is never as black and white as that because even people who have played since Orcs and Humans could have felt that Wrath was the end but for me as someone who is a lore nut...on paper everything after Wrath has been awesome. Whether or not Blizzard has executed it in game well is another story entirely but Wrath was far from the end for me. The arc that started in WC3 and ended in Wrath was awesome but that is not all there is to Warcraft for me. For a lot of people it is.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Wrath was the peak of playability, but then again, MoP was (eventually) pretty close. So, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    I heard this view so many times over the years, I am a bit skeptical you haven't heard it before.
    Why? I can't recall of anyone ever having that discussion before either.

i think that 5 milliojn hardcore fan of wow disagree with you, stop thinking for the mass

I've played WoW since release and continue to do so. Despite this, I definitely had this feeling when killing the Lich King in Wrath that we had "beat the game". I know that may seem silly given the fact that obviously the game has continued and I've also continued playing but it was hard not to have that feeling at the time. Wrath just wrapped up the final major plot arc from Warcraft 3 that many of us had been waiting for. Of course for me personally this did not dissuade me from continuing to play WoW.

I've felt that one of the major things WoW has suffered from since is that there isn't the huge plot building that happened throughout the course of Warcraft 3 to bank on anymore. Those campaigns gave them a ton of time to tell stories and develop characters which has been hard for them to replicate in WoW. This is part of why I've enjoyed the character of Wrathion so much. We've been following his story for some time now and he isn't just an "introduce him so we can knock him down later in the expansion" type of character. Why story telling has been more challenging in the WoW format versus the RTS games is a good discussion in and of itself.

Great thread topic by the way!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    It's more of a meme, "the Lich King died and Warcraft died with him". Honestly? I don't think the character was that good, there have been several much better written characters introduced in WoW.

The franchise didn't orbit around Arthas, and it definitely didn't die with him.
    Exactly. Most people don't get that. Warcraft existed long before Arthas was this huge character and I agree he was not THAT great. He was cool but it ends there for me. He was no different than any of the other villains they have written over the years. He just had the luxury of being one of the main characters of an RTS where they expanded the Warcraft universe out in. Place any other character in that light and people would be up their asshole too. :P

WotLK was the conclusion for Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, certainly. It definitely couldn't be considered the conclusion of World of Warcraft, given the number of new characters and plot lines introduced.

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not for me, i've never liked Arthas or Illidan or Warcraft 3 story in general. Draenor promised to be the most fangasmic experience with all the warlords, Gul'Dan, Cho'Gall, etc., but alas.
    Space magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Exactly. Most people don't get that. Warcraft existed long before Arthas was this huge character and I agree he was not THAT great. He was cool but it ends there for me. He was no different than any of the other villains they have written over the years. He just had the luxury of being one of the main characters of an RTS where they expanded the Warcraft universe out in. Place any other character in that light and people would be up their asshole too. :P
    Like Illidan, who was one of the worst written characters of Warcraft 3, but he looked cool and edgy.

Thankfully they've kept hiring writers to make novels about these characters. Now they're alright.

Still, the only character that seems undeniably necessary for Warcraft to keep going is Azeroth, the Titan. Even Sargeras is expendable now that there's a bigger bully in the schoolyard: the Void Lords.

Deleted
    I"I really considered warcraft finished at the end of wotlk. The main characters had had their day in the sun and the trilogy was over for me.
    that says enough to me that the guy saying it was retarded when wrath was finished not even HALF the lore people had a spotlight yet