Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Agree to disagree on the singleplayer and plot part.
    Feel free to explain how Quake 1's plot made any sense, given that it basically doesn't. As I said, it's just an excuse for portals between completely unrelated maps made by a group of people to connect together. Rather than bridge from one location to the next, you simply warp to a random place that the next map maker made.

In Quake 2, it's a simple plot, that follows a clear mission style structure, where you've penetrated the Strogg base and set out to help take down its defences and leaders from within, so the rest of the assault can get through.

And now I patiently await a new Hexen, which when finally created will probably be turned into a dating sim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    Nobody gives two shits about "stroggs". Quake had a dimensional shambler.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    And now I patiently await a new Hexen, which when finally created will probably be turned into a dating sim.
    I would actually like to see Hexen get the Doom single player treatment myself.

Nobody gives two shits about "stroggs". Quake had a dimensional shambler.
    If people cared that much about the enemies in Quake 1, why hasn't it had a follow up?

Also, Quake 4's single player campaign is largely regarded as being good, but the multiplayer let it down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    If people cared that much about the enemies in Quake 1, why hasn't it had a follow up?
    Timing, license, and the huge popularity of QIII, which is just a plotless arena game, which kind of "devolved" Quake into just that. Also, Unreal beat the shit out of Quake at that time as far as plot-drive FPS' go. And then there was Halo, and CoD, and so on.

Timing, license, and the huge popularity of QIII, which is just a plotless arena game, which kind of "devolved" Quake into just that. Also, Unreal beat the shit out of Quake at that time as far as plot-drive FPS' go. And then there was Halo, and CoD, and so on.
    Actually, Quake 4 still scored highly, despite being released within months of Call of Duty 2, which had one of the best single player FPS campaigns ever made. Unreal hadn't had a single player release for 2 years. Halo 2 was released the year before and most PC gamers couldn't give a shit about Halo anyway.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-08-05 at 03:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Considering the success that was Doom, it's quite possible... as in a single player Campaign game -- I ain't a fan of Arena FPS games.

Wouldn't mind a Quake Wars 2 though... Quake Wars was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Considering the success that was Doom, it's quite possible... as in a single player Campaign game -- I ain't a fan of Arena FPS games.

Wouldn't mind a Quake Wars 2 though... Quake Wars was awesome.
    Quake Wars really was epic. Kind of gutted it was too much for most people's computers and just never caught on because of it at the time.

7+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    No Single Player, no money from me. What a fucking waste of an IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    No Single Player, no money from me. What a fucking waste of an IP.
    Basically this. I have ZERO interest in playing a MP only game. Yes, I do not play Overwatch as well.

I am also a little pissed that Id has pretty much abandoned the new Doom. Everyone screams for more SP content and we get nothing but a mute Id. So why should I be excited for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I signed for the beta. Looked interesting enough to try

A fucking Quake Arena reboot... fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    A fucking Quake Arena reboot... fuck that.
    Yep, it's not a quake reboot it's a quake arena reboot.

yawn balls.

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    Basically this. I have ZERO interest in playing a MP only game. Yes, I do not play Overwatch as well.

I am also a little pissed that Id has pretty much abandoned the new Doom. Everyone screams for more SP content and we get nothing but a mute Id. So why should I be excited for this?
    Because id has sacked most of the game designers and story writers from the hey day of id. They are basically a multiplayer company and a architecture and engine developer. Granted new Doom was much better, and I love id, but I think some of that comes with the partnership in creating Doom the guy who wrote black ops etc.

I'll sign up, I like quake arena because it is a hilarious reminder of 90s fps that I loved. id will always have a soft spot in my heart, it like Blizzard, 3d Realms, Westwood etc really built my early Computer Gaming years. And I still love a Carmack designed game engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't get past the age restriction boss on the website.
    Prop uBlock / cookie related but couldn't be bothered trying to get past it.

Still let down it's a MP only. With Doom 2016 I had high hopes for a 'Quake 5' as I loved 1/2/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    God.. please.. no . Make it stop... MAKE IT STOP.

As one of the greatest men on 4chan said: the ride never ends.

This new Doom abomination just barely hangs on to "fun" single player and pretty visuals. Multiplayer is just plainly bad, wrong, horrible, disgusting and most of all pathetic.

I'm vomiting just at the bare thought how much they can fuck up new Quake multiplayer if they couldn't nail such simple and fun experience of Doom MP.
    Speak for yourself but I think the new Doom shits all over Doom 3, and if we're going back further than that we're so far back into the 1990s genesis of fps gaming that it doesn't matter. Quake reboot could be great or it could suck, either way doesn't take away from the old games in any way.. Worst case scenario nothing changes and you continue with your life, best case scenario you have a great new Quake game to play.

No lose situation, surely? But as for me personally, no interest in playing MP only FPS games these days.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with arena shooters is, the first generation quake players that never stopped playing.

If there's a large enough community it's going to be fun, if it's the small dedicated community prepare to get your ass handed to that it will no longer even be remotely fun to participate. A good matchmaking system will make or break this. Think i'm joking, go play quake live or even toxicc if it's still active.

Also i wonder if it's going to pull people from other shooters since the main selling point seems to be a newer more update to date look and is "new" a big enough selling point? Overwatch and team fortress works since it's rather casual friendly to enter, quake is anything but there's no rock paper scissors there, it's aim, twitch and map layout skills.