The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

computer turns off shortly after powering on

I'm trying to troubleshoot my brother's computer. Whenever it turns on, it just powers off after 5-30 seconds randomly. I'm not even sure if it posts correctly as the longest it's been on, I've managed to reach the BIOS then it abruptly turned off before I could check on anything. Anyone have an idea of what the issue might be? Bad power supply? Dying motherboard? Overheating somehow?

Mine did this once, it was because the CPU was overheating and motherboard safety measures kicked in. There were some status lights on the motherboard that I had to check online that indicated this. My heatsink was just barely loose, check the heat sink on the CPU maybe?

dust is a thing..

open it up and see how bad it is...

Yeah crack open the case and take a look around. If its super dusty fix that if it isn't.... The cpu heatsink may need to have thermal paste reapplied. Or the cpu heatsink itself may just be dusty. Could be something wrong with the motherboard or cpu socket maybe the RAM could be a bad drive.

But first thing is first, go inside the case make sure it isn't super dusty and reseat all the cables to make sure there isn't something that has somehow gotten loose.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's definitely no dust buildup to the point where it would overheat. Earlier it managed to boot into windows for a few minutes actually and then it shut off again. re-plugged in the cabling and nothing was out of the ordinary. Heatsink was not loose.

Something I do notice though, once it powers off, I am unable to turn it back on with the power switch on the front panel unless i completely turn the power supply off and let it sit there for a minute. The power will stay on from a split second to maybe a minute. As of now, it's powering on for a split second and then no power at all. I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue, but I don't have any spare ones to use to test
    Last edited by obake1; 2016-06-12 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by obake1 View Post
    There's definitely no dust buildup to the point where it would overheat. Earlier it managed to boot into windows for a few minutes actually and then it shut off again. re-plugged in the cabling and nothing was out of the ordinary. Heatsink was not loose.

Something I do notice though, once it powers off, I am unable to turn it back on with the power switch on the front panel unless i completely turn the power supply off and let it sit there for a minute. The power will stay on from a split second to maybe a minute. As of now, it's powering on for a split second and then no power at all. I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue, but I don't have any spare ones to use to test
    Take the GPU out and plug your monitor into the onboard graphics *presuming it has onboard graphics*