Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PC Upgrade for legion

Hey guys,

I want to upgrade my pc for legion my current setup is a i7 2600 with 256gb SSD with 8gb ram and gtx 550ti video. I will be traveling to the US for sure im buying 16gb ram not sure which to buy can you recomend anyone?. But my main question is I want to upgrade my video card which one should I buy. Since im traveling to the US i am willing to spend some money on the video card, or should I spend on a new processor? ANy recomendations would be appreciated

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does your board support 8gb sticks? I can't remember. Anyway, you're looking for DDR3 1600 with Timing 9-9-9-24 on any RAM you buy. That's generally considered to be the sweet spot on RAM. Higher frequencies won't do much or anything at all, really.

GTX 1070 for the video card if you can find one. There's no reason to get anything else unless you're going into the used market.

I don't think you would notice much of a difference if you upgraded the processor. The 2500's, 2600's, and whatnot are still very good processors.

I presume you can't wait until the end of the month to buy a GPU so the RX 480 is out of the question. I'd look at a 1070 if you can find one for a not absurd price. In terms of your CPU you should be perfectly fine 2600 is still a pretty strong CPU. Most motherboards even older motherboards should support 16gb of ram. So that's pretty easy look at some reviews and pick some out. It's been awhile since I've shopped for ram can't really give you much help there, sorry.

I have the following mother board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 LE 109547900000668, will the mother board be able to handle 16gb ram and gtx 1070 or RX480?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elcharrua View Post
    I have the following mother board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 LE 109547900000668, will the mother board be able to handle 16gb ram and gtx 1070 or RX480?
    if you can wait for the rx480 and all you play is wow, then wait for the rx480

Deleted
    you can run legion on XP with a shit pc, even with your setup you should get more than optimal visuals and play, the 550ti is a bit outdated though if you have the money id get an AMD card there new stuff comes out end of june

I would get 16 gig of ram as its usually a nice upgrade to have. Not always needed on some games but if you play a good chunk of modern stuff it can only be a benefit.

Gpu wise depends on the budget. Most people throw out there get the new 1070 or 1080, but they cost the earth. Wait to see what amd bring to the table as i do hear good things. 980ti will be sold off quite cheap if you go down that path. Processor wise if you have not already get yourself a cpu cooler and overclock the processor if you have the K version of that chip.

Other than that not much else to upgrade. I still rock the 2500k running at 4.4ghz still fine for the games i play.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseuk View Post
    I would get 16 gig of ram as its usually a nice upgrade to have. Not always needed on some games but if you play a good chunk of modern stuff it can only be a benefit.

Gpu wise depends on the budget. Most people throw out there get the new 1070 or 1080, but they cost the earth. Wait to see what amd bring to the table as i do hear good things. 980ti will be sold off quite cheap if you go down that path. Processor wise if you have not already get yourself a cpu cooler and overclock the processor if you have the K version of that chip.

Other than that not much else to upgrade. I still rock the 2500k running at 4.4ghz still fine for the games i play.
    If you can afford a 980ti you should definitely buy a 1070... and I currently am recommending the RX 480. He does not have the K version I presume he would have said... 2600k not 2600.. Also this thread has been quiet for a few days now without any further posts from the OP.

As someone that just upgraded (and is still in the process of upgrading to a GTX 1080) from 2600K to 6800K, I would suggest that the 2600K is still plenty good when it comes to playing most modern games. Any Mobo from that period should be able to support 32GB, but 16G should be more than sufficient.

Memory and GPU are the primary concerns when it's about MMO's, so a GFX card upgrade and some additional memory wouldn't be out of the question. I heard the 9 series have had a price reduction and frankly, I doubt you'll need a 1070/1080 for WoW, unless they go VR, which won't happen overnight.

Edit:
    I just went through the pricing of the GTX 980 and I'll suggest the following:

The GTX 1080 is very expensive. It's pretty OP, but very expensive.
    The GTX 1070 is expensive, but cheaper than the 980ti, depending on where you pick it up, but it's also, according to some tests, a small margin faster than the 980ti.
    The GTX Titan is expensive and inferior to the 1080. There's literally no reason to get a Titan anymore.
    The GTX 980ti is still relatively expensive, even with the reduction in price over the entire 9 series and supposedly performs below the 1070.
    The GTX 980 is significantly cheaper compared to the ti, has significantly less performance compared to the 1070 and 1080, but relatively speaking, if you mostly play WoW, the price reduction seems to have pushed the GTX 980 to the lower 400 and in some cases even below 400 Euro.

Based on a few assumptions;
    > Only WoW
    > Basic resolution (no 4K)
    > Price tag

I would say either buy a standard GTX 980 (not the GTX 980ti), or immediately jump to the GTX 1070.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-06-20 at 12:07 PM.

Yeah I play blizz games mainly not much time to play anything else. Thanks on your reponse going to evaluate between 1070 and 980 and see which one fits better. I also need to change my mother board due to the fact that it doesn't support pci express 3.0.

No you don't, pci express is backwards compatible and should work fine on 2.0, might be an issue if you want more then 1 graphics card but if you only use 1 16x pci-e 2.0 slot you should be fine.

When it comes to the GPU, I'd wait and see what the RX 480 can do. Right now, it's looking to be about equal to a 980 or Fury Nano for around $200. Though, it supposedly can overclock up to 980ti performance if you need a little more oomf. I'm a bit skeptical on that but still, wait until the 480 is released and benchmarked.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    When it comes to the GPU, I'd wait and see what the RX 480 can do. Right now, it's looking to be about equal to a 980 or Fury Nano for around $200. Though, it supposedly can overclock up to 980ti performance if you need a little more oomf. I'm a bit skeptical on that but still, wait until the 480 is released and benchmarked.
    I would like to add the RX480 as a third option. Wait for the actual release of the RX480 and ignore the founder/release edition. Wait for aftermarket coolers, just like with the GTX1080 and soon the GTX1070.

Personally I've had nothing but misery with AMD cards in the past, which is why I simply do not have AMD on my list anywhere, ever, but price/performance wise, you nearly always end up with a Radeon. And you won't have to pay for central heating the coming few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I would like to add the RX480 as a third option. Wait for the actual release of the RX480 and ignore the founder/release edition. Wait for aftermarket coolers, just like with the GTX1080 and soon the GTX1070.

Personally I've had nothing but misery with AMD cards in the past, which is why I simply do not have AMD on my list anywhere, ever, but price/performance wise, you nearly always end up with a Radeon. And you won't have to pay for central heating the coming few years.
    Well, hopefully with Polaris and the die shrink AMD cards will be running cooler than the r200 and r300 series. I've not had any major issues with my 290 (had a lot of problems with my previous Nvidia cards) but it does run pretty hot. Last I saw the RX 480 was running at 60c and drawing 100w. Still have to wait for release to be sure though,
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Deleted
    hold up with GPU for 3 more months.

As for RAM you can just as well be future proof and buy 32GB since it isn't much more than 16GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    hold up with GPU for 3 more months.

As for RAM you can just as well be future proof and buy 32GB since it isn't much more than 16GB.
    If the need is not urgent, I would also follow the first advice, since prices might still drop as competition is added, drivers will be more fleshed out, production errors will have been largely fixed (if any) and there will be more options to choose from (example; 2HDMI + 2DisplayPort, versus 1HDMI + 3 DisplayPort).

As far as RAM goes.. it's true that it's 'future proof', but at the same time, it takes a grand amount of time and/or data to mod Skyrim or Fallout that it reaches 10GB RAM. At least, I have yet to see it happen. If the €40 to 50 it'll cost you extra matter to you, just go with 16.

Deleted
    If the need is not urgent, I would also follow the first advice, since prices might still drop as competition is added, drivers will be more fleshed out, production errors will have been largely fixed (if any) and there will be more options to choose from (example; 2HDMI + 2DisplayPort, versus 1HDMI + 3 DisplayPort).

As far as RAM goes.. it's true that it's 'future proof', but at the same time, it takes a grand amount of time and/or data to mod Skyrim or Fallout that it reaches 10GB RAM. At least, I have yet to see it happen. If the €40 to 50 it'll cost you extra matter to you, just go with 16.
    No, not really. You can download complete file that changes how much RAM Fallout or Skyrim uses and if you want you can set it yourself. Been there, done that multiple times. It's not hard and doesn't take a lot of time. Just requires very basic computer knowledge (like how to google :P)

I set up my Fallout 4 to be able to use 20 GB of ram. Besides that's more of a Bethesda thing and their games. Most nowadays games don't have problem with utilizing ram. Even then you can still have programs running in the background that will use additional ram and not clog your PC
    Last edited by mmoc3d7f422663; 2016-06-21 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    No, not really. You can download complete file that changes how much RAM Fallout or Skyrim uses and if you want you can set it yourself. Been there, done that multiple times. It's not hard and doesn't take a lot of time. Just requires very basic computer knowledge (like how to google :P)

I set up my Fallout 4 to be able to use 20 GB of ram. Besides that's more of a Bethesda thing and their games. Most nowadays games don't have problem with utilizing ram. Even then you can still have programs running in the background that will use additional ram and not clog your PC
    The question is, how much does it actually use. Reserving space is not the same as actually using that space.

I had nothing but smooth sailing with AMD the last 5 years, apart from their drivers being a bit iffy but that's sorted now they got the Crimson drivers.
    Also he says he only plays Blizzard games which are not that high up the demand ladder so a RX 480 would be the ideal card for him , jumping to a 1070 would be overkill and buying a 980 would be dumb, Nvidia cards age like shit.

I am waiting on Vega later in the year but my 280x aged 50 times better then a 770 GTX and currently outperforms a 780 cause Nvidia screws over their older cards with their drivers, I would never ever buy last gen Nvidia stuff when they got new ones out, especially not a 980 for 400 when a RX 480 performs the same or slightly better for 250.

Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    I had nothing but smooth sailing with AMD the last 5 years, apart from their drivers being a bit iffy but that's sorted now they got the Crimson drivers.
    Also he says he only plays Blizzard games which are not that high up the demand ladder so a RX 480 would be the ideal card for him , jumping to a 1070 would be overkill and buying a 980 would be dumb, Nvidia cards age like shit.

I am waiting on Vega later in the year but my 280x aged 50 times better then a 770 GTX and currently outperforms a 780 cause Nvidia screws over their older cards with their drivers, I would never ever buy last gen Nvidia stuff when they got new ones out, especially not a 980 for 400 when a RX 480 performs the same or slightly better for 250.
    I'm using a GTX 650 ti boost atm, until my 1080 arrives and I run most current games just fine. It's an old card, so yeah, it's time to upgrade obviously, but 'screwing their old cards'? Get me some reliable sources before you start this.

My AMD stuff always broke, that's empirical, but I won't suggest that all AMD stuff breaks. It's just that I have had too many bad experiences so opted out. Apart from that HEAT is always a factor with AMD and more heat inevitably means lower lifespan.

Edit: As I said, the RX480 definitely is a good option for less money and I already pointed out that the performance is more in line with cost than with NVIDIA, but the RX480 isn't here yet. The 1070 is (today). So if there's a rush, I would suggest either 980 or 1070. If there's no rush, I would suggest RX480 or 1070.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-06-22 at 05:57 AM.