Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Now that I can agree with, I think if you sell a firearm privately the sale needs to be noted and recorded and hell what honest person wouldn't want it to be. Lets say I sell my gun to you, and you go around and kill lots of people with it, guess whose ass is in trouble? Mine
    +1

This is what the majority of people want to see happen, accountability and checks for private sales. You check if that person is a felon, like any normal retailer would have to do. If you don't and it's found that you sold it to them with no check, then your ass is in trouble. If you did do a background check and they're clean and sell it to them but they kill people, then you did your duty and should not be in trouble.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    My point is things are done without due process and justified after the fact, that's it. Why does it have to be more than that?
    And I have corrected your misconception -- TROs and PIs are not done "without due process". Due process' general "notice and hearing" requirement is still fulfilled. Even in those circumstances where the balancing test favors action first, process second, it is understood by all parties upfront what, how, and when the requirements of due process must be answered.

Suspension of a civil liberty, indefinitelty, by placement on a secret list, indefinitely, can not by and standard be said fo satisfy due process. I mean, people get told there is a PI in their case or they have a TRO, so notice is still immediate. Nobody is even told they are on those lists, they only find out when they run afoul of it. And when they do, there is nobody to appeal to or complain to that is consistent or available.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You are using semantics again, now on a different word. I take it as your admittance of being wrong and refusal to move on, so I will put you on ignore "list" (if there's such a thing, you made me doubt it) and move on without you.
    Look, I hate agreeing with @TITAN308 . It hurts my soul that he thinks the same as me on something. But he's right. You're using words you don't understand and saying things that are blatantly false. It's not semantics, it's that you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Buddy. Brotato.

Can't get a gun shipped to you. And it sounds like you knowingly broke the law.

Yay gun control?
    Laws are useless if they aren't enforced.

Courtesy of the far right wing's "small government".
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. The difference between these two people you made up is a conviction. A potential felon is not a felon until he commits a felony and is convicted of it. Your potential felon is just a normal dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Look, I hate agreeing with @TITAN308 . It hurts my soul that he thinks the same as me on something. But he's right. You're using words you don't understand and saying things that are blatantly false. It's not semantics, it's that you don't know what you're talking about.
    A felon doesn't need a conviction to be a felon. If you insist that the word felon implies conviction 100% - then you are using semantics, because it's not the only meaning and most certainly not the common used one.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that I can agree with, I think if you sell a firearm privately the sale needs to be noted and recorded and hell what honest person wouldn't want it to be. Lets say I sell my gun to you, and you go around and kill lots of people with it, guess whose ass is in trouble? Mine
    There are a lot of people who are anti gun control who view that sort of regulation as a first step to the government cataloging the location and ownership of every firearm in the country, to make it easier to seize them down the line. The ability to sell privately without documentation muddies the water enough that the government has no idea where the guns are.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

A felon doesn't need a conviction to be a felon. If you insist that the word felon implies conviction 100% - then you are using semantics, because it's not the only meaning and most certainly not the common used one.
    It's not semantics. You CANNOT BE A FELON if you are not convicted of a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Laws are useless if they aren't enforced.

Courtesy of the far right wing's "small government".
    Sounds like a problem with the left being unable to enforce the laws they pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    We know the outcome, which is that our country has half the world's guns and a very high rate of gun related violence. That's enough to know that the current process is totally ineffective.
    OMG!!! Stop the press!

Wouldnt that be expected? Wouldnt it make sense a nation with more guns has more gun related violence? A country with more cars has more traffic accidents, a country with more homes has more house fires! Colorado "legalized" weed and driving under the influence incidents increased, big shock!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    It's not semantics. You CANNOT BE A FELON if you are not convicted of a felony.
    YOU CAN, see i can use caps too, too bad it's not an argument. just a statement, a loud one.
    The fact is a felon is someone who committed a felony. If they are convicted of felony they are CONVICTED felon.
    The other meaning of the word - is someone convicted of a felony.
    So when you focus on that meaning and disregard the other one - you are ARGUING SEMANTICS. And off to ignore you go.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There are a lot of people who are anti gun control who view that sort of regulation as a first step to the government cataloging the location and ownership of every firearm in the country, to make it easier to seize them down the line. The ability to sell privately without documentation muddies the water enough that the government has no idea where the guns are.
    I can understand their hesitation because the Government does like to chip away at our freedom, we can't use that to stop common sense laws

I can understand their hesitation because the Government does like to chip away at our freedom, we can't use that to stop common sense laws
    I think a good compromise would be a system like this.

You register through the NRA. Who give you an firearm registration ID.
    It is with this ID that you purchase all firearms. So when a gun transfers ownership the new registration ID is on record as the owner.

The firearm serial number and buyer registration ID is sent/updated to a national firearm registration database.
    When a firearm is found at a crime scene, the serial number is traced in the database and the registration number is retrieved
    The police then subpoena the NRA for the owners information so they can perform an arrest.

A system like this would keep the owners information "private" and out of the hands of "the government" unles a crime has occurred.

There was a poll that showed that over 90% of republicans polled were for some sort of gun control you know like banning people on watch list or no-fly list from being able to buy a gun... the majority of people are for that, so why all the repub vs dem shit? Both constituents want something, the issue are the people who can actually make these changes are all sitting on their hands.

Not sure what your point is, except to point out that increasing personal freedoms can have negative effects on others. A responsible government needs to decide whether those tradeoffs are made correctly. I'd argue that the negative effects on others from gun ownership are high enough that it doesn't make sense to allow people to have guns. I'm fine with the other cases you mentioned.

My original point was a response to the comment that people criticize the process without knowing much about it. My point was that you don't have to know that much about a process if you can assess its outcomes, and in this case the outcome is clear and obvious. I don't need to know the details.
    My point is, if you are going to allow firearm ownership, there will be deaths as a result. You can do what you want to make sure that firearms only fall in the hands of "good people" but in this case. The guy, by the law, was a "good person". He had no legal record, passed all his employer based background checks and passed a psychological screening. Do what you want. There is nothing to stop a "good person" from turning bad and doing bad things. Nothing will stop a upstanding career police officer of 20 years from turning bad and shooting up his local Subway.

- - - Updated - - -

This would make it a bit more difficult to get guns but not impossible. "Oh my god officer, I thought that my gun was in the garage in its safe! Someone must have stolen it!"
    Thats fine, we would have this problem regardless. At least it will stop repeat offenders by not allowing them to purchase again.

Then there are other problems like, how often do guns even get recovered, etc. And this system would be expensive. I still think the only real answer is a ban because that can be used to stop production of guns in the first place.
    Yeah well, a ban wont ever happen. I wish you would come to the real world and discuss something that has a chance at becoming reality

Probably true, but there's nothing else that will have a real impact. If I pretend there's a middle ground the pro gun people have already won. Spending a lot of political capital to pass meaningless restrictions is meaningless, and a big problem the current Democratic Party has is they pretend these things matter so that they can claim they've done something to their constituents at home. It's the same point Bernie makes on health care and education. Either pay for them or don't. Either allow guns or don't. The issue is actually pretty simple and we have to make a choice. With guns right now our position is, "Sure, have as many as you want!" Restricting who can buy them, magazine size, etc. is fiddling on the margins and makes little to no difference. Banning weapon types (like handguns) matters.
    I think there's plenty that will have an impact

1) properly fund and staff the ATF, thanks to extensive cuts by congress guns are only regulated in theory only.

2) allow the ATF to use computers (yes that was done by congressional law), it is insane that they are not allowed to do that in 2016.

3) proper tracking of gun deaths and violence by civilians and police so we can have the data to make proper decisions.

4) tightening of the gun licensing and purchasing process especially for private sales and gun shows.

All these are good starts that will help curb gun violence at the least stop us from being blind to problems, we can take it from there. I don't see why any logical pro gun person would object to any of these.

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in recent history.

Even if I commit a felony crime in front of an officer I am not categorized as a felon until I am taken to court, tried, and convicted.

You can't "magically" become a felon without a court involvement.

Holy crackers.