Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone. Some people require a great deal of work and a lean diet that works for the person which requires a bit of educating. Just cutting calories doesn't work for most.
    You're wrong, but I cba to argue with people on this site anymore, the last thread I did that in proved it's like talking to a brick wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka34 View Post
    You're wrong, but I cba to argue with people on this site anymore, the last thread I did that in proved it's like talking to a brick wall.
    Blanket statements like cutting calories is an easy way to lose weight is the same type of advice as the guy who said do cardio for 3 hours.

Fitness/ Nutrition Advice

Quick Tips from someone who has done thousands of hours of research regarding fitness and nutrition (ex-fat kid in high school, now 26). Cardio only gets you so far and is utterly unnecessary apart from the cardiovascular benefits and to help supplement healthy eating habits. The only way to burn fat is to eat less calories than you consume (minus the rare newbie gains cases if you have not lifted weights properly for less than a year, but just go with eat less calories than you burn!). Also, imagine doing hours of cardio each day, what happens when you stop doing the cardio? You either must eat even less or you gain weight.

Here are my general tips for you (and anyone wanting to lose weight a keep it off).

Nutrition:
    - Start counting calories, more specifically macro nutrient (protein, carb, fat, alcohol), seriously (this is less important when you are at a heavier weight since you can lose fat more easily the heavier you are). The best example of this thinking I've heard is if you want to drive from point A to point B would you assume you have enough gas in the tank or that you are not wasting gas by over pumping at the station? So why do it with food.
    - Find out your maintenance calories to sustain your weight and reduce that by ~500 each day (this will result in around 1 LB of fat loss a week, when you're starting out you will probably lose a lot more).
    - Cut out / reduce drinks that contain calories (or at least high calorie drinks like soda)
    - Eat around 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight (how much you would weigh if you had 0% body fat), for the average male you can just guess about 120-180 grams (I weight 150 ~11-12 body fat and eat around 150 grams a day). (Protein helps keep you feeling full and is the basic building block for your body along side fat, carbs are mainly just energy and are not needed, but screw life without eating carbs) Carbs are not bad, anyone who says they are does not understand nutrition.
    - Macro Nutrient Calculator and in general a great source for information to people new to fitness/ nutrition
    Google: Muscle for Life - Macro nutrient calculator

Fitness:
    - Cardio does help burn calories which does help get you into a calorie deficit, but only goes so far and is time consuming. I recommend anyone wanting to lose weight and keep it off to use strength training as increasing muscle mass will also increase your basal metabolic rate (how many calories you burn a day passively just being alive). Weight training also has a high "post burn" effect which increases your metabolism after working out.
    - Lift heavy and with good form. (lift the most you can while staying in the 4-8 rep range) If you can do more than 8 reps with good form then increase the weight, less than 4 lower the weight.

Also, here is a very very good resource for anyone wanting solid basics that will get you far in your fitness goals:
    Amazon: Bigger, Leaner, Stronger

Sorry if this was long winded and I could go on for hours and hours, but seriously the book above has all the information you need and more!

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Krywulf; 2016-06-17 at 02:59 PM.

Blanket statements like cutting calories is an easy way to lose weight is the same type of advice as the guy who said do cardio for 3 hours.
    No it's not. Weight is entirely controlled by calories in vs calories out. Unless OP has a serious condition diagnosed by a medical professional, which like <1% people have.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    When I started doing cardio a year ago, I used to do something like 15 minutes in the morning, noon and evening.

Now I can do 3 x 45min per day without much issue, though I cannot say this enough, do your stretching before and after properly.

You'll feel much better in the morning, vs when you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not. Weight is entirely controlled by calories in vs calories out. Unless OP has a serious condition diagnosed by a medical professional, which like <1% people have.
    20% of adults have that condition you said, so no, a tad more than 1%.

Though with calories, cutting calories when you only eat fast food isn't going to help you, you can eat much more calories eating healthy food, since your body digests it better and less fat or sugar ends up storing as body fat. But yes essentially your statement is correct, always try to balance calories consumption with your calories spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    When I started doing cardio a year ago, I used to do something like 15 minutes in the morning, noon and evening.

Now I can do 3 x 45min per day without much issue, though I cannot say this enough, do your stretching before and after properly.

You'll feel much better in the morning, vs when you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Though with calories, cutting calories when you only eat fast food isn't going to help you, you can eat much more calories eating healthy food, since your body digests it better and less fat or sugar ends up storing as body fat. But yes essentially your statement is correct, always try to balance calories consumption with your calories spending.

It is physically impossible to not lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. Some individuals with glandular issues maybe have a harder time, but if they are not losing weight then they are not in a caloric deficit. Also, different people have varying metabolisms (they passively burn more/ their body does not fully utilize all of the food that is eaten). In general, if you are not losing weight then you are not eating under maintenance (weight also fluctuates based on the weight of the food in your body and sodium levels which retain more water in the body at the time of the weigh in).

10+ Year Old Account

The problem with his statement is that it implies 1500 junk calories is better than 2000 healthy calories. You can be overweight and healthy.

Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone. Some people require a great deal of work and a lean diet that works for the person which requires a bit of educating. Just cutting calories doesn't work for most.
    This is completely and utterly wrong.
    It's called thermodynamics and it applies to everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davos Seaworth View Post
    Just cutting calories isn't proper advice nor is it healthy. So no I'm not wrong.

Deleted
    Just cutting calories isn't proper advice nor is it healthy. So no I'm not wrong.
    Both your statements are right, but you seem to be misunderstanding each other's point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both your statements are right, but you seem to be misunderstanding each other's point.
    I get his point but you have to understand the audience the message is directed. Most will take it at face value and that is one of the biggest issues facing people trying to get healthier.

Saying getting in shape is easy, just cut calories is bad advice. There is just so much more that goes into it for a lot of people if you want to maintain it.

This thread is entering "muh genetics" territory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    This thread is entering "muh genetics" territory.
    At this rate, it will just end with the same banter as in the football threads and someone getting infracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    I know its boring, but its the best way: long cardio, lets say 3 hours a day.
    Where'd you get your degree in broscience?

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Nvm my pevious comment. I think it only applied to a specific instance of a topfit rower who needed to lose weight in order to stay lightweight. That being said, cardio still is the way to go.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

If you did 3 hours of cardio a day you'd be mentally burned out within 2 weeks, thats if you don't have a heart attack while doing it because you're overdoing what your body is used to! I wouldn't do P90x either, it will work but it's a torture program for someone who's not used to training hard, it's like 90 mins of intense workout every single day + diet for 3 months, most people don't stick to it because it's quite draining mentally after a while.

Key to losing weight and keeping healthy and sane is finding something that works within your lifestyle without it having to become your lifestyle, balanced diet with calorie counting and macros will do most of the work by itself, for weight loss that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Davos Seaworth View Post
    It does apply to everyone, but not everyone burns calories at the same rate when resting. That's why you have some people who can seemingly eat a lot more food and not gain weight, or at least they can when they are young, that trend often starts to swing as they get older. Just as you have people who must be way more strict with their diet to stay under weight.

It applies to everyone, but some people just burn more calories while doing nothing.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-06-20 at 03:01 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Want to lose weight? Eat less. Want more info? Talk to a nutritionist.

You can go on rather extreme diets if you really want to lose weight fast, but you absolutely *must* talk to a doctor. There's a diet called 5:2, where you eat 500 calories 5 days a week. You absolutely should not, under any circumstances, try to make that diet yourself. The diet is hell, and most doctors won't put you on it unless you press them very hard on it. It's not good for the body.

Beyond that, just count your calories. Aim for 1000-1200 a day, limit your food to good foods, remove high calorie foods, sugary drinks, sugary toppings/condiments, etc. Focus on getting all of your nutrients, otherwise you *will* have health problems. Fat, Carbs, Protein, Vitamin C, B6, B12, A, D, Iron, Sodium, Magnesium, Potassium and lots and lots of water. Aim to get your daily allotment of all of those - avoid fad diets, they don't work or make you feel like shit. I went from 263 pounds to 229 in 2 months and 1 week like this(I'm still on the diet~).

A lot of people underestimate the power of water in weight loss. I was explained this by my doctor: Most (overweight) people think they're hungry, when they're actually thirsty. Water also helps in quelling your appetite and if you drink a good amount while eating it can even reduce your hunger levels and satiate you for longer.

Lastly: Find a staple meal you enjoy. For me, it's a little snack with cucumbers, carrots, chicken and a dipping sauce - the whole things only 200 calories and I can eat it frequently throughout the day. It also covers a huge chunk of important nutrients.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2016-06-23 at 12:51 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    Nvm my pevious comment. I think it only applied to a specific instance of a topfit rower who needed to lose weight in order to stay lightweight. That being said, cardio still is the way to go.
    plz just stop giving * advice* you know nothing ..

It's not as simple as calorie in/calorie out. Once you cut your calories, your metabolism will respond by slowing down. Calories have to be cut the right way, and it helps to combine certain food types and how often you eat during the day. The important thing is keeping your metabolism up or finding ways to increase it.

Straight calorie cuts often don't work because after you lose weight the first couple or few weeks, your metabolism catches up to what you are doing and the weight lose slows to a crawl or stalls all together, at which point the weight loser becomes discouraged and the diet fails.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jba252 View Post
    I work from home and make 10.90 an hour at a call center for 3 years and I've been working out trying to get in shape for a position at a Walmart distribution center. I'm currently at 264 pounds having lost 8 pounds in the last few weeks mostly doing cardio and watching what I eat and planned on applying once I hit the 220/230 area.

However, today they announced they are hiring a TL for the project. I'm not very social and haven't enjoyed the work for some time now and I have a friend who works at the DC saying that its hard work but they don't have to deal with customers and generally don't talk to each other. Starting pay is 17 but I have to pass a PAT so I plan on applying in a few months after I get in shape while I don't know the starting for the TL position. With me being the way I am should I take a shot at the TL position or should I continue to work out and become physically fit to work at the DC?
    Distribution centers for companies like walmart does require a level of both cardio and physical fitness. 264 pounds I think in real measurement that is ~118kg off the top of my head.

I will give you a quick routine, stick to this for 6 months, I am going through the trouble of typing it out so you should go through the trouble of stick to it for 6 months and it should get you under 100kg quite easily

Weight lifting part. Do these routines as (A) and (B) and alternate them week to week. so 1 week you do (A) twice and (B) once in the middle, the following week you do (B) twice with (A) once in the middle. Most people go Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

EVERY DAY YOU WORKOUT GO 10 MINUTES ON TREADMILL TO WARM UP. JUST WALK AND JOG WITHOUT WEARING YOURSELF OUT.

(A)
    Barbell Squats 3(sets) x 8(reps)
    Bench press 3x8
    Bent over rows 3x8

(B)
    Romanian Deadlifts 3x8
    Lateral Pulldowns 3x8
    Barbell Overhead Shoulder press 3x8

Also if you are serious in losing weight and improving cardio fitness for a role like working in a warehouse from your current fitness level you should do cardio every day except the day after you do Barbell Squats.

I suggest either a 20 - 30 minute walk on a treadmill at an incline setting OR trying to do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).
    For HIIT I would recommend using a Treadmill, walk for a minute, then do 20 seconds at a flat out sprint, then walk again for a minute. Repeat this for 15minutes worth. Over thee week try to shorten the walking time and increase the sprinting time ie walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds.

10 years ago I weighed 130kg Which I believe is ~280pounds and I did the above and I went to 84kg with a 120kg bench press after a year and a bit. You can do it mate.

3 EASY RECIPES THAT HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT

Here are 3 recipes that I always use here and there and they are great to help you stay full and keep up the protein.

Protein Pancakes

Mash up a Banana, preferably very ripe but it doesn't need to be
    Add 4 egg whites, mix that up
    Add A heaped scoop of protein powder
    Pan fry them as you would normal pancakes. You can use reduced sugar chocolate custard as a dipping sauce as well. I like to mix that with zero sugar jelly.

Chicken breast pizzas

Get a chicken breast, flatten it out
    Pan fry it
    Brush olive oil over it
    Brush pizza sauce over it (salt reduced preferably)
    Add what you want, I go for Garlic, mozzerella or reduced fat shredded cheese or cottage cheese, ham, pepperoni, olives, peppers and onion.
    Put in oven for 10 minutes

Zero sugar Jelly n Zero fat Yoghurt mix

Make up a batch of zero sugar jelly of whatever flavor
    Get 1 cup of zero fat greek yohurt
    Get 1 cup of zero sugar jelly
    Blend it together, put in fridge for a bit
    Nom it. Tastes good, very filling and filled with protein.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.