Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you PvP in GW2?

Hello champions! Good to see you today. :3~

I wasn't a PvP player in other games (like WoW, Ragnarök, etc) but I LOVE the PvP in GW2, not because of the progression, but because how much fun it is. I love playing as a Thief and, when I get the chance to solo other player (and win), I feel completely badass

So, do you PvP in Guild Wars 2? Or you prefer PvE?

PS: PvP in this threads means normal PvP, but also WvW and things similar to it. PvP in general, killing others, bam boom boosh

PS2: Very cool video game console.

Nah. I really dislike PVP in MMORPGs and even more so when the combat style of an MMO is action-combat as in GW2.

Prefer PVP in the form of RTS, MOBA and Fighting Games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love WvW. I think its by light years away the best rendition ever made of mass/world pvp in a mmo. (Except EVE)
    I find PvE without trinity weird.

WvW, yes. Did 2 or 3 games of sPvP for first time in this game a month or two prior to HoT, and the amount of toxicity from other people on my own teams was enough for me to say "fuck it" and not even bother. It's not a lack of thick skin, either; I did thousands of BGs in wow, Battlemaster title, etc., so I've seen and heard plenty of shit from people. Eventually, though, you just get tired of people's shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol spvp but got burned out after getting the legendary.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I used to do Wv a good bit, and it's got a lot going for it, I just have to be in the right mood for it. I used to love Wintergrasp, though they changed it so many times it got pointless. Wv has similar feel to it, though it feels like devices are just throwaway items rather than actual seige equipment you transport around.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I go through phases. PvP for a bit, WvW for a bit, PVE for a bit. I am useless in PVP though (Engineer) for fair to decent in PVE and WvW. I need an easier PVP class

Deleted
    Me and my friends bought GW2 mostly because of the pvp. However, GW2 had lots of bugs and balance issues at launch and they lasted too long for us to last in the game. There was the guardian block bug, the thief heartseeker skill and then backstab pro. It made us stop playing spvp.
    We tried wvwvw and the queues were so long and strange, someone who started queue earlier made it into the zone later than someone who queued later. Since it took us most of the evening to get everyone into the zone we stopped trying wvwvw.

I'm sure a lot of things have changed, but from what I get the impression spvp still has issues, at least the pvpers from the past do not seem to have returned, and so we haven't as well. Wvwvw seems to have issues as well, that's probably what we would have returned for but currently other games are more appealing.

Me and my friends are playing Overwatch together and have lots of fun in that, and for my mmo pvp fix I rather play Wildstar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I go through phases. PvP for a bit, WvW for a bit, PVE for a bit. I am useless in PVP though (Engineer) for fair to decent in PVE and WvW. I need an easier PVP class
    Engineer isnt as hard as people make it out to be (well im just ruby but still), it's a class that relies a LOT in practice and quick moves, dealing double finishers or faking finishers for getting kills is extremely good, engineer is currently in a really tight spot, used to be a tad too OP before the healing turret nerf IMO.

If you play your cards right as a scrapper you can get 15+ might stacks permanently, and with the cleansing gyro toolbelt skill + hammer 2 you will deliver devastating hits whilst halting any healing possible, you can counter rev burst by just popping bulkwark gyro and protection from healing gyro toolbelt skill, you have tons of mitigation that will be useful at all times, the only problem is that your offensive skills are also your defensive ones so be wary of your burst timmings.

And to the person complaining about PvP and WvW IMO the current iteration of sPvP is quite enjoyable, every class is now usable, if you considered "old pvp" to be better please, please take a look at how necros and warriors worked before, they just didn't have much use on pvp (except on the first international tournament where i recall snowcrash telling me about the chinese fear cheese which didnt do well either way).
    WvW is currently going a lot of changes and its picking some steam with the surveys, the old wvw map is always nice but i'd like the new one to come back tbh, also pirate ship meta is kinda annoying, thank god they nerfed revs.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I used to do Wv a good bit, and it's got a lot going for it, I just have to be in the right mood for it. I used to love Wintergrasp, though they changed it so many times it got pointless. Wv has similar feel to it, though it feels like devices are just throwaway items rather than actual seige equipment you transport around.
    What devices? tactivators? they're used heavily in T1 on keeps and castle, if you mean siege the only siege i'd consider pretty much unused is ballista, all the other sieges have really good usage on their own.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    What devices? tactivators? they're used heavily in T1 on keeps and castle, if you mean siege the only siege i'd consider pretty much unused is ballista, all the other sieges have really good usage on their own.
    Siege was mostly what I meant, you hit a place, build some stuff, take the objective, leave your shit there and ignore it unless you manage to lose the place and need to regain it before your placements have been destroyed. Though I admit, I never used the golems, so maybe they're different. Wintergrasp, build tanks, pilot/ gunner take tank, defend tank to reach wall, et cetera. They just had more "value" vs build & discard.

Definitely! I love PvP in most games, and GW2's action is super satisfying to outplay people with.

Pvp and especially wvw was very well done for mmo standards in this game, so yeah

10+ Year Old Account
    Siege was mostly what I meant, you hit a place, build some stuff, take the objective, leave your shit there and ignore it unless you manage to lose the place and need to regain it before your placements have been destroyed. Though I admit, I never used the golems, so maybe they're different. Wintergrasp, build tanks, pilot/ gunner take tank, defend tank to reach wall, et cetera. They just had more "value" vs build & discard.
    But that's the point of siege, each siege weapon has uses, ballista and AC are kings vs infantry-rams, catas can counter trebs when sieging walls, trebs can counter turtles on fortified areas, dmg on a ram is good vs dumb infantry and doors, golems are glasscannons essentially and they're bad vs walls.

Also shield generator is quite fun when defending or turtling.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    But that's the point of siege, each siege weapon has uses, ballista and AC are kings vs infantry-rams, catas can counter trebs when sieging walls, trebs can counter turtles on fortified areas, dmg on a ram is good vs dumb infantry and doors, golems are glasscannons essentially and they're bad vs walls.

Also shield generator is quite fun when defending or turtling.
    Right, they are diverse and useful in the setting, but it has a different feel than what I'd like. I think it's the entire Wv set though, where it's basically a fast paced run around from target to target instead of an actual seige.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, they are diverse and useful in the setting, but it has a different feel than what I'd like. I think it's the entire Wv set though, where it's basically a fast paced run around from target to target instead of an actual seige.
    Coming from "some" wvw experience in Tier 1 i can tell you that there are times for quick hit and run moments as you say there are (and sometimes they're boring since you're playing tag capping as fast as you can, which tends to be what happens day 1-2 after reset.

But at the same time on EB on day 2-6 you'll see the teams have now turtled more or less, the teams become way more defensive to ensure high ppm's, the castle in EB tends to be trebber for very far away whilst teams are running on tower capping by either using catas vs walls or quick skirmishes with rams and taking camps, and i can tell you that the biggest pvp shitfests are mostly on camps next to the towers, it's incredible how much fight goes on in there (same as Stonemist castle). Day 7 usually ends up in possible chaos with one of the worlds running havoc on the lower group (which happened on TC V/S Yak's bend with TC running rampant on YB side of the eternal battlegrounds).

I used to play GW2 PvP every day. Then HoT came and destroyed GW2 PvP.

Elite specs added in HoT are far too powerful. But what really makes PvP suck is that the elite specs are too powerful in that they're too forgiving of mistakes and poor decision making. Anyone can play the "meta" build poorly and still do well, especially compared to a non-elite spec. It's killed diversity and fun.

I'll play again if elite specs are nerfed down to reasonable levels. Until then, my GW2 account sits idle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    I used to play GW2 PvP every day. Then HoT came and destroyed GW2 PvP.

Elite specs added in HoT are far too powerful. But what really makes PvP suck is that the elite specs are too powerful in that they're too forgiving of mistakes and poor decision making. Anyone can play the "meta" build poorly and still do well, especially compared to a non-elite spec. It's killed diversity and fun.

I'll play again if elite specs are nerfed down to reasonable levels. Until then, my GW2 account sits idle.
    Tbh some classes who didnt use to have even a good footing on pvp now are on good levels, as i said, biggest example being warrior, now they're punishment machines if the warrior knows how to play his cards right, compared to the ole Hambow build which was pretty bullshit tbh.

Deleted
    i dont do pvp

Mostly done PvE but I just recently started doing sPvP and I have been enjoying it a lot

PS- Thief needs nerfs

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    How's PvP nowadays? Anything new? New arenas or stuff like that?