NASA discovers Eye of Sauron in the Sun

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ed-detail.html

The composite image shows the solar corona, which is an aura of plasma that surrounds the sun and extends millions of miles into space. The blue part of the image shows the total eclipse from the ground, with the central pupil created by the bright sun covered by a comparatively dark moon. The red section was viewed from space, acquired by the sun-orbiting Solar and Heliospheric Observatory

The blue part of the image shows the total eclipse from the ground, with the central pupil created by the bright sun covered by a comparatively dark moon.

Surrounding the blocked solar disk is the tenuous corona of sun imaged in white light.

The red section was viewed from space, acquired by the sun-orbiting Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) spacecraft.
    The corona is easily visible from the ground only during an eclipse.

Normally, this corona is hard to track far from the sun, but the featured montage matches it to false-colored observations of the sun using space probes.
    Images like this allow the study of the constantly changing magnetic activity both near and far from the sun - the same activity that ultimately drives Earth's auroras.

Last month, thousands of tourists and astronomy enthusiasts flocked to Indonesia to catch the country's first solar eclipse in nearly 33 years.
    The eclipse, which took place on March 9, was also visible in parts of Australia and south-east Asia.

However, only some parts of the country got to see the sun totally eclipsed by the moon, which happened almost immediately after the sun rose.
    Because the moon's shadow crossed the international date line, it appeared in the afternoon of the 8th in some regions, despite being visible from the morning of the 9th in others.

A solar eclipse happens when the moon casts a shadow on the Earth as it passes between the earth and the sun. At least twice a year, the orbits of the moon and Earth block the sun to cause a shadow on Earth.
    I am glad that we are spending so much on space exploration - it is really paying off.

Deleted
    now all we need to do is find a ring with weird etchings in a country river

Deleted
    Oh jolly. WE ARE TAKING THE HOBBITS TO VENUS. But it doesn't have the same ring to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Oh jolly. WE ARE TAKING THE HOBBITS TO VENUS. But it doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Fellowship of the Corona.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't really much look like the Eye of Sauron. Kind of just looks like a normal blue eyed human iris, though very bloodshot in the whites of the eye.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Doesn't really much look like the Eye of Sauron. Kind of just looks like a normal blue eyed human iris, though very bloodshot in the whites of the eye.
    I find it far more creepy that way.. just me?

Human eyes freak me out

Deleted
    Wait, there are rings around Saturn, right?

I can see potential for a sci-fi LotR remake.

So they want to strum up interest in science ? Good on them.

But that isn't the eye of the dark lord that will bring destruction down on us. It's the eye of the bright lord that will bring destruction upon us in a few billion years.

Get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Probably the reflection of the astronomer's eye in the telescopes eye piece.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Probably the reflection of the astronomer's eye in the telescopes eye piece.
    Thats one tall astronomer...

edit:

Telescope does't work like that anymore. Its all goes to ccd and digital data. No place to put your eye.
    Its simply 2 pics attached. I wouldn't call seeing the corona as a discovery though.
    Last edited by Holas; 2016-06-16 at 08:11 PM.

The sun is watching us!
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Fellowship of the Corona.

Lol glad you used the beer rather than...pics of another carona

I have no souvenir of making this thread but I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Human eyes freak me out
    When rendered on a screen or piece of paper they can be pretty unsettling. Eyes are the window to the soul but there is nothing to perceive if they're not attached to another brain, which means that by looking at them we are essentially trying to derive meaning out of nothingness.

Quote Originally Posted by Braktixx View Post
    Wait, there are rings around Saturn, right?

I can see potential for a sci-fi LotR remake.
    You are very creative and so I am adding you to a list of contacts for this book I'm writing. It will need some debugging first.

Lord of the Rings 4000

Federation space cadet Frudu is given a mission from grizzled war vet Gamdluf.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8