Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Uncontacted tribes

So there are numerous uncontacted tribes in the world. Mostly in deep jungles or on islands. I can't help but think that they may be fortunate to be uncontacted by modern society. I mean yeah they don't have the medical knowledge that we do and probably don't live very long but they don't have to deal with any of the shit that most of us do from day to day. They're some of the only humans that aren't completely trashing the Earth.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    would be fun to go there and have them worship you as a god

Deleted
    Well that's a nice story. You forgot /thread from the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    would be fun to go there and have them worship you as a god
    Every movie I've ever seen indicates you are more likely to get your head cut off and sacrificed or boiled alive, or killed in any number of shitastic ways.

Movies like the green inferno give me the heebie jeebies. I can't watch em.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So there are numerous uncontacted tribes in the world. Mostly in deep jungles or on islands. I can't help but think that they may be fortunate to be uncontacted by modern society. I mean yeah they don't have the medical knowledge that we do and probably don't live very long but they don't have to deal with any of the shit that most of us do from day to day. They're some of the only humans that aren't completely trashing the Earth.
    Also, if we ever contacted them, they would likely all die. Some of them are hyper hostile to outsiders as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally first world problems. You should be grateful that you don't spend almost every day of your life looking for food or struggling to not fucking die. If you have any time to spend it on forums like these, you already in much better position than they are as a living being
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Literally first world problems. You should be grateful that you don't spend almost every day of your life looking for food or struggling to not fucking die. If you have any time to spend it on forums like these, you already in much better position than they are as a living being
    People likes to forget the advances on medicine. I shouldn't even be alive - medicine saved me too many times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Things they have to deal with would make any of us commit suicide. I'm not even talking about things like diseases they are unable to cure, but they have to work 24/7, except when they sleep, just to survive, to have enough food and reliable shelter. People on the West cry about having to work 40 hours a week, but imagine essentially working - and not in a comfortable office, but in jungles, running, climbing, jumping - 100 hours a week, having barely enough food, tools and shelter to survive as a reward. They are worse off than slaves; slaves, at least, are fed by their master, while these guys, if they just slip a bit and don't get enough food in the season, literally starve and die.

So no, I definitely don't consider them "fortunate"! Interesting to study and interact with, yes - but any of us that tried to live like them for just a few days, would fall down in exhaustion and cry dearly, regretting leaving civilization.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I mean yeah they don't have the medical knowledge that we do and probably don't live very long but they don't have to deal with any of the shit that most of us do from day to day.
    I think they'd happily trade nutrition, sanitation, medicine, education and not being eaten by panthers for having to put up with shitty Batman v Superman movies, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Things they have to deal with would make any of us commit suicide. I'm not even talking about things like diseases they are unable to cure, but they have to work 24/7, except when they sleep, just to survive, to have enough food and reliable shelter. People on the West cry about having to work 40 hours a week, but imagine essentially working - and not in a comfortable office, but in jungles, running, climbing, jumping - 100 hours a week, having barely enough food, tools and shelter to survive as a reward. They are worse off than slaves; slaves, at least, are fed by their master, while these guys, if they just slip a bit and don't get enough food in the season, literally starve and die.

So no, I definitely don't consider them "fortunate"! Interesting to study and interact with, yes - but any of us that tried to live like them for just a few days, would fall down in exhaustion and cry dearly, regretting leaving civilization.
    The thing is our work is not meaningful. People DO want to work. But the job has to be meaningful. Survival is meaningful. Since, work is not needed for survival anymore, we are committing suicide.

Deleted
    I would gift them birth control pills and for that they would probably worship me.

That and dental hygiene products.

All hail Taftvalue, our savior. Bane of bad breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't remember the exact figure for what is typical, but I believe many of those societies actually spend less time working than we do. Whatever the case, they definitely are not spending every waking moment working to survive, not even close. There is plenty of time for relaxation and leisure.
    I think it depends on what tribe we are talking about. Tribes in Latin America probably have it relatively easy, due to the abundance of fruits, greens and berries, warm weather and water (although there are some nasty diseases carried mostly by insects they have to deal with). But then, Bushmen in Southern Africa have truly brutal lives, and only the strongest of them survive the harsh conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    The thing is our work is not meaningful. People DO want to work. But the job has to be meaningful. Survival is meaningful. Since, work is not needed for survival anymore, we are committing suicide.
    But on the flip side, many of us can have a job that we love: we aren't forced to do certain mandatory work just to survive, we can often combine our hobby with work. Working in physics, I definitely enjoy what I do, and I would even want to work a bit if I wasn't getting paid for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I don't remember the exact figure for what is typical, but I believe many of those societies actually spend less time working than we do. Whatever the case, they definitely are not spending every waking moment working to survive, not even close. There is plenty of time for relaxation and leisure.
    H/G tribes tend to spend about 20 hours working, the rest is leisure time, regardless of area.

They have far far far more leisure time and egalitarian societies than larger groups.

7+ Year Old Account

I'd figure it would be more exciting and refreshing that having to seat for 8 hours studying/working.

Also its not that hard to survive as an isolated or separated community in bolivia:

Last edited by Bollocks; 2016-06-17 at 03:43 AM.

We could introduce them to liquor!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    We should send them an email.

I know for a fact this pasta is stale.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really need to get new reading glasses, or read more cheerful news. Maybe both. I read the topic as "Uncollected Bribes" and thought it might have something to do with the guy throwing a briefcase full of money over a monastery wall: https://news.vice.com/article/possib...l-in-argentina

"We found an obscene amount of cash at the convent, where neighbors and even the nuns living there told us that a lot of officials from the previous government had visited," Buenos Aries security chief Cristian Ritondo told reporters. "He was caught red handed. He tried to bribe one of the officers and the bribe was rejected."
    I'm faintly disappointed. How can one go wrong with nuns, obscene amounts of cash, and rejected bribes?

So, this is about tribes? I'd say we shouldn't take measures to isolate them just to preserve them as a sample; however, they are probably our best way to understand what people would be like if they didn't live as we do.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We could introduce them to liquor!

No need, people have figured out how to become intoxicated in various ways for a long time.

The advantages of beer-drinking in their societies have even been studied: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1307.0516v2.pdf

And war with other tribes - which contributes to about 20% of the deaths in such societies.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends on what tribe we are talking about. Tribes in Latin America probably have it relatively easy, due to the abundance of fruits, greens and berries, warm weather and water (although there are some nasty diseases carried mostly by insects they have to deal with). But then, Bushmen in Southern Africa have truly brutal lives, and only the strongest of them survive the harsh conditions.

But on the flip side, many of us can have a job that we love: we aren't forced to do certain mandatory work just to survive, we can often combine our hobby with work. Working in physics, I definitely enjoy what I do, and I would even want to work a bit if I wasn't getting paid for it.
    Anacondas.

Your assessment of tribes in Latin Americia is inaccurate and offensive, May.