Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree OP, there is not enough old school FPS games
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detan View Post
    Fuck the Witcher 3. Fuck uncharted. Fuck bioshock infinite. We need more games like Doom 4 (2016) that put game-play first and story second. I'm so fucking sick and tired of it. Only game I can think of that had both flawlessly was the last of us, and maybe the first and second halo games.

- - - Updated - - -

If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd go watch a movie. I play videogames to do something interactive and fun. More mario, more doom, more quake, more dark souls (this ones arguable because it does have a deep story, but its hidden in item descriptions), and more DMC.
    Who the fuck are you to decide what people should like?

“Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

lets see. i'm an old school gamer. not the oldest, but old school enough to have played computer games before intel chips, back when they came on those giant floppy disks.

guess what? a LOT of the games of that era were all about story with barely any "gameplay"

is it interactive? yes. do you get to make choices and decisions of some kind, control your character to any degree? yes. the only thing that is new? is that story is much more visual and cinematic instead of being told almost entirely through text with barely any voice acting and static sprites on your screen as indication of which character you are talking to.

story and characters being a focus of a video game especially this specific genres that you seem to have issues with OP? is NOTHING NEW. this has been there for as long as video games existed. hell - the earliest games were nothing BUT story. so... get off your high horse and stick to your shooters and leave rpg's and adventure games (and even strategy games cause those always had story too) the hell alone.

I hate all of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I've greatly enjoyed many of the games that place a heavy emphasis upon telling a decent or even great story. Many have enjoyable game-play as well.
    Yeah, dark souls, halo, and the last of us. 3 games. Fuck my life. Fuck everything. /wrists

If I want a great story, I can (and do) read books. Or watch long format tv shows.

I play games because I want gameplay. I'm tired of great gameplay being sacrificed at the altar of a subpar narrative medium.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

good good, let the hate flow through you.

I know its hard for you to accept, but there is room for different kinds of games on the market. just becasue you don't enjoy something? doesn't make it bad. so stick to your first person shooters, maker knows we have loads of them on the market, complete with multiplayer natch, and let the rest of us play the games WE like.

personally, I play games becasue I want to be a part of the story. engaging gameplay helps with that, but we seem to have a very different definition of what gameplay, let alone engaging one actualy means.

books are fantastic and I love them and I do have my periods of netflix binges, but I'm a passive observer with both. games? especially rpg's - let me participate and they have been doing that for a very VERY long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Yeah why not? I guess only the last of us, Dark souls (item descriptions) and the early halo games could do both. From now on its story or gameplay. Fuck everything. I hate my life. Also, I'm drinking.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Ah, yet another classic example of a "I don't understand this, make it go away to please me!" with a not-so-subtle dash of "I don't understand how people can like differeny things!".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    good good, let the hate flow through you.

I know its hard for you to accept, but there is room for different kinds of games on the market. just becasue you don't enjoy something? doesn't make it bad. so stick to your first person shooters, maker knows we have loads of them on the market, complete with multiplayer natch, and let the rest of us play the games WE like.
    Its not just FPS.... like, why was dark souls able to combine fucking amazing sexually orgasmic gameplay, AND a good story (if you read item descriptions)???? Fuck you. And your whole family!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Ah, yet another classic example of a "I don't understand this, make it go away to please me!" with a not-so-subtle dash of "I don't understand how people can like differeny things!".
    FUCK YOU! YOU ARE LITERALLY THE CANCER ON MODERN DAY GAMING.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    JK but srsly, I disagree with you.

Post constructively. -Infracted. Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2016-06-17 at 07:05 AM.

Deleted
    Fuck the Witcher 3. Fuck uncharted. Fuck bioshock infinite. We need more games like Doom 4 (2016) that put game-play first and story second. I'm so fucking sick and tired of it. Only game I can think of that had both flawlessly was the last of us, and maybe the first and second halo games.

- - - Updated - - -

If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd go watch a movie. I play videogames to do something interactive and fun. More mario, more doom, more quake, more dark souls (this ones arguable because it does have a deep story, but its hidden in item descriptions), and more DMC.
    Ironically Blizzard does exactly this, and we get shitty Legacy of the Void and D3 campaigns and everyone complains.

You can't win either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    Ironically Blizzard does exactly this, and we get shitty Legacy of the Void and D3 campaigns and everyone complains.

You can't win either way.
    /wrists!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Or even dark souls! It has the best combat ever conceived in an RPG
    Spamming side-step and poking a giant boss a thousand times in the ass with the same attack is not "the best combat ever conceived in an RPG"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm drinking. But I will say this: you can lead a raccoon to a garbage can, but you can't make him give your neighbors rabies. I want you all to thinking long and fucking hard about that statement. Fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I think stories give deeper meaning and often provide some deeper message while plain button smashing does not. I don't mind plain button smashing either because bottom line is to have fun but I prefer games that cover almost everything.
    Yeah, and the witcher 3 is sooooooooooooooooo much deeper. Fuck you, and your whole family.

And this thread hasn't gone well so far. Closing it down.