Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legion on ultra settings. Do I need a new PC or just upgrades?

I bought my current PC about 6 years ago. I can barely play WoD on good settings, and want to be able to play Legion on ultra while maintaining 40-60 fps.

I have a $700CAD budget and been considering getting a new PC and will probably need to, but would it make more sense to just upgrade certain parts of my current PC?

I'm not sure exactly what I've got, but these are the specs I think I need to show. Please let me know the best way to show my current build. (Sorry for being a noob)
    System Information

System Model: P5QL PRO
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Display Devices

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_116619DA&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 3538 MB

Dedicated Memory: 723 MB Shared Memory: 2815 MB Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz) Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model: Philips 221E

buy a new one.your parts are next to useless.

get:
    • cheap MB
    • i5 processor
    • 8-16GB RAM
    • 240gb ssd
    • 2tb hdd
    • modern graphics card. maybe a Nvidia 960 (there might be something more modern but do not go high end)
    • new power supply. About 650W
    Last edited by munkeyinorbit; 2016-06-17 at 06:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

You're not playing legion on ultra with these settings by any stretch of imagination, this computer is more than 10 years old in terms of hardware and you'll be lucky if it can handle low-medium at somewhat playable frame rates (30 and below).

Which is exactly what I said in my first sentence. I'm aware it's old, but simply curious if pieces can be replaced cheaper than buying completely new.

Old cpu, means you'd need a new mobo, which would mean new ram, which means....you get the gist.

A whole new pc is the best option.

I just spent $2200 on a pc and i'm only getting 40-60 fps(mostly 40ish) in most legion zones on ultra settings using a gtx 1080. Im playing on 2k though, im not sure how it would be for 1080, but legion is pretty demanding.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2016-06-17 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try my hand at building a new pc.

It's my understanding that I can build a fairly inexpensive pc for ultra Legion settings. Is this correct? Cheap as in approx $800.

Check your inbox.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendig View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'll try my hand at building a new pc.

It's my understanding that I can build a fairly inexpensive pc for ultra Legion settings. Is this correct? Cheap as in approx $800.
    I have a 980ti and a 6660k overclocked to 4.5 and on the new settings I can barely keep 60 at all.

You most definitely are going to want an upgrade. I threw this PC together I would HIGHLY reccomend waiting for the RX 480 to come out before buying a GPU, I did not include a GPU in this build being that the RX 480 comes out at the end of the month. I went with the non "k" line here I assume you aren't planning to overclock your CPU so this should do fine. If you do want to overclock for some improved performance let me know and I'll swap the motherboard and CPU around. But this build should do you very nicely.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.59 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $531.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-17 02:56 EDT-0400

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I have a 980ti and a 6660k overclocked to 4.5 and on the new settings I can barely keep 60 at all.
    Not true unless you're sitting in stormwind which is to be expected with the flooded nature of PTR/Beta and the unoptimised state. I'm using a 970 dipping sometimes on "10" settings. Not ultra. http://imgur.com/bKdiyCD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    You most definitely are going to want an upgrade. I threw this PC together I would HIGHLY reccomend waiting for the RX 480 to come out before buying a GPU, I did not include a GPU in this build being that the RX 480 comes out at the end of the month. I went with the non "k" line here I assume you aren't planning to overclock your CPU so this should do fine. If you do want to overclock for some improved performance let me know and I'll swap the motherboard and CPU around. But this build should do you very nicely.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.59 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $531.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-17 02:56 EDT-0400

- - - Updated - - -

Not true unless you're sitting in stormwind which is to be expected with the flooded nature of PTR/Beta and the unoptimised state. I'm using a 970 dipping sometimes on "10" settings. Not ultra. http://imgur.com/bKdiyCD
    What do you mean not true? Its my computer. 10 is the new ultra plus you dont have any aa on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please do this screenshot again with MSAAx4 or so.
    (Not challenging you, I'm actually curious how it would affect your framerates)

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    What do you mean not true? Its my computer. 10 is the new ultra plus you dont have any aa on.
    Of course not you aren't going to run AA with the new view distance and have decent FPS. And no 10 is past ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    Please do this screenshot again with MSAAx4 or so.
    (Not challenging you, I'm actually curious how it would affect your framerates)
    MSAA is what kills your FPS even more so with the new view distance. Ill post a SS ina bit

FPS is very unstable with MSAA and 10 View Distance was popping from 30-60.
    http://i.imgur.com/0KTWq1t.jpg
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-17 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XamFTW View Post
    I just spent $2200 on a pc and i'm only getting 40-60 fps(mostly 40ish) in most legion zones on ultra settings using a gtx 1080. Im playing on 2k though, im not sure how it would be for 1080, but legion is pretty demanding.
    1080p IS 2k (1920x1080).

Did you mean 4k? That's a whole nother kettle of fish and is far more demanding.

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been really curious during the beta as to which graphics settings are the most optimal for 10 Ultra. I've had the same framerate issues as a couple people that posted before me, and can't figure out which setting(s) tank my framerate to ~30FPS even with my 980Ti/3770k CPU.

Is it just MSAA? Should I disable it completely or set it to a lower number like 2x or 4x? What about CMAA? How well does the GeForce Experience app work when doing its own optimization of settings?

Don't forget that he's in Canada so you have to use CAD. The build above would be above his budget and that doesn't even include the graphics card.

As far as settings I believe 7 is the old ultra? If you want to go that route but I could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    MSAA is what kills your FPS even more so with the new view distance. Ill post a SS ina bit

FPS is very unstable with MSAA and 10 View Distance was popping from 30-60.
    http://i.imgur.com/0KTWq1t.jpg
    Ah thanks for that.
    Pity, playing at 1080p without AA is horrible. Guess MSAA only at 4x, with view distance at 7 would be a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Don't forget that he's in Canada so you have to use CAD. The build above would be above his budget and that doesn't even include the graphics card.

As far as settings I believe 7 is the old ultra? If you want to go that route but I could be wrong.
    Yes, 7 is the old Ultra. I can run 7 at 60fps but cant run 10 at anything over 15. So much slide showing.
    Science the shit out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    Ah thanks for that.
    Pity, playing at 1080p without AA is horrible. Guess MSAA only at 4x, with view distance at 7 would be a good compromise.
    Probably yes mind you I'm only using a 970.

I think it is worth noting that even though with maximum settings you will have some fps drops in legion even with a high end computer but if you just take a sweet spot between High and Ultra you will have a solid 60 fps experience even with a budget build. A budget build for WoW in my opinion would mean a i5 cpu and a GTX 960 or a RX 480 (release in two weeks).
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |