Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Just roll! You Ontarians are all Sunday drivers!
    No, that is just our immigrants. I drive like people from Montreal do, like we are supposed to.

I don't understand how neglecting your own people for foreigners is good in any way

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    There is also a difference between letting in some refugees and being like "omg we can't let any in they'll kill us all, secure our borders, and tell anyone who disagrees with that that they don't want us to be a country and hate themselves!"
    2 people killed 120 in Paris. 1 person killed 50 in Orlando. Obama has said that the government can NOT identify every single terrorist threat and yet they want to let 250,000 syrians in who have NOT been vetted into the country. The shooting in California was done by a muslim woman who hated America and had anti-American posts online and after a few MONTHS of living in the US....went on a islamic rampage.
    You honestly think that ISIS doesn't use liberal talking points to get their people in? Liberals hearts bleed so much that they are willing to destroy their national identity and bring in MILLIONS of people who put the quran above western law.
    Islam kills gays, period. Islam oppresses women, period. Islam is NOT tolerant, period. Yet liberals ignore all the facts because "islamaphobia".

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The bit people are ignoring when making these comparisons is that most of this 25,000 were government-sponsored refugees, specifically. Meaning we paid their expenses to fly them here, and cover all their expenses for the first year, before they end up on the same support as other refugees we take in. You can't really compare that to the refugee intake in the EU, where the refugees are making their own way there (and at significantly lower expense, given the much closer relative proximity). These 25,000 aren't the only refugees we're taking in, they're just the few we're deliberately selecting based on their need, which is why we're preferentially selecting for families and the like (and it is preferential; it's prioritizing, not excluding anyone wholesale forever).

Do I think Canada should take in more? Sure. But our resources are limited, and it's not cheap to get them here; we're far less conveniently located compared to the EU. We're getting to it as soon as we can. Should we have gotten involved sooner? Absolutely. Blame Harper. He's the one who opposed it, and this is one of the things that cost him the election. Trudeau got this moving as close to immediately upon election as he could have; it was kicking off within weeks.
    I think we have done our part, I don't agree with bringing in more at this time. With our economic situation right now, I think we should refrain from bringing in more until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    25.000 refugees...
    While I think it's awesome how the Canadians react. But would it be the same if that number would be 420.000?
    Because, that would be the equivalent of what Germany took (82 mio / 1 mio refugees). Total muslim population 5.5% (4.5 mio).

Like I said, I cheer for Canada, but the numbers are just not comparable that simple.
    Try scandinavian countries, we take in waaay more than any of you big'un countries compared to population numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    Why don't you tell us about it, since it appears you're from there.
    That's a little vague. What do you want to know? If it's about how relations to immigrants, I would say that it's a little complicated. I would say that people here are generally open to immigrants, especially in Montréal. There are very, very few hate crimes in Québec. There is nothing similar to KKK, no far-right party in Québec. At least none that I know and have a meaningful influence. However, people in Québec believe that newcomers should adapt to their new society (like learning French), not the other way around. "In Rome, you do as the Romans." So when a jewish traditionnalist asks to be served only by a man, or when a muslim woman insists on voting with her niqab covering her face, people get a little ticked. Accomodations for religious purposes are not well seen these days.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"