Deleted

Microsoft fined due to failed forced win10 installs.

Micro$haft got fined for forcing update to win10, although the fine is more down to lost earnings than it is for the update.

$10k, a pittance to them of course. Probably made that just waiting for the judge to be seated

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ows-10-upgrade

It's a shame they stopped them.. I'm a computer tech at a locally owned store and this got us quite a bit of business in the past couple months lol. I hated it for the customers, I really did. First person to bring one in claiming "it just did it on its own" I thought to myself "yeah right lol" And with good intentions I explained to her that those kind of things don't "just happen". We argued for a bit and I gladly reverted her to Win 7. We laughed among ourselves about it, and thought for sure she had ran the install without realizing it, or without realizing what she was doing. Then later that week they started coming in a couple a day. Was good for our business, but not Microsoft lol.

On a side note, as far as I know tomorrow is still the last day for a free upgrade to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    July 29th, 2016.
    Grr you are correct. Really not sure why I had June 29th stuck in my head. Gonna blame the boss. Oh well, this is good news for customers.

Win 10 broke things so often on a new $1,000 Dell that I sold it with 4 months at a loss of $350. I immediately bought an MBP ending up down over $1,400 not including lost productivity.

It was the best decision I could have made given the circumstances and I have not one regret. I saw this suit a mile away due to the forced update policy. A company cannot force you to you to sign away your rights if it violates the law and this policy is damn close to a B&E and vandalism.

Windows 10 really isn't all that bad. I had Windows 7 a month ago and HAD to upgrade from a USB install due to not being able to solve a Stop 0x000000F4 Error. It used to take me 10-15min to start up my Dell XPS 1701x laptop and get it all warmed up before using it. Now it takes me 10-15 seconds from boot to get on to the internet on the same computer. The upgrade saved all my old files and put it into a windows.old file for archive.

So far honestly I have no Cons about it. They even give you a free year of office which is great.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really have issues with Windows 10 personally but the forced update is super shitty. Microsoft cannot get away with that. If more lawsuits come, well that's on Microsoft and I won't really feel bad for them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    Win 10 broke things so often on a new $1,000 Dell that I sold it with 4 months at a loss of $350. I immediately bought an MBP ending up down over $1,400 not including lost productivity.

It was the best decision I could have made given the circumstances and I have not one regret. I saw this suit a mile away due to the forced update policy. A company cannot force you to you to sign away your rights if it violates the law and this policy is damn close to a B&E and vandalism.
    What exactly did it break?

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    That's a shame. I'm not sure I wouldn't point my finger at the PC itself If anything immature drivers. I do roughly 20 a week, and have had maybe 1-2 a month that I felt I could blame on windows itself. IMO.. again opinion.. It's been one of the most flawless releases to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    What exactly did it break?
    Installation failure 80240020, memory crashes, anti-virus corruption... and one afternoon it synched the new Windows folder with the Windows.old folder which resulted in very confused programs.

It must have been an outlier case, possibly due to drivers that couldn't be updated anymore... I just didn't have the patience to deal with another couple years of Microsoft "troubleshooting".