Deleted

Windows 10 - Disk Defragmentor

Hiya,

so i got like 200gb used up on my SSD and when i try to run disk defrag on it.
    you get the option optimize only, not analyse - i guess thats cause its the main drive.
    any who- Optimize takes seconds where as i know in the past running a full disk defrag usually takes a bit of time?

is it really all disk defragged and ship shape or am i missing something here

10+ Year Old Account
    Never defrag an SSD, it's not needed and can cause harm to them.

Windows knows this and won't do a defrag.

Deleted
    ooooh so what does windows do if u have it set automatically anyway? just skips the drive?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRea...ntYourSSD.aspx

That provides more indepth, but the TL:DR of it is :

No, Windows is not foolishly or blindly running a defrag on your SSD every night, and no, Windows defrag isn't shortening the life of your SSD unnecessarily. Modern SSDs don't work the same way that we are used to with traditional hard drives.

Yes, your SSD's file system sometimes needs a kind of defragmentation and that's handled by Windows, monthly by default, when appropriate. The intent is to maximize performance and a long life. If you disable defragmentation completely, you are taking a risk that your filesystem metadata could reach maximum fragmentation and get you potentially in trouble.

You don't defrag SSDs man.

Deleted
    ah right cool, thank you :]

Yeah don't ever defrag an SSD unless you want to damage it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Yeah don't ever defrag an SSD unless you want to damage it.
    Wear it down faster is probably more correct here .

First thing people tell you about SSDs, never defrag them...

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Wear it down faster is probably more correct here .
    Worn down means it isn't operating at peak efficiency. That means it's damaged.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll still operate at peak efficiency. It will just wear out sooner. Though with modern flash, that means it will "only" last decades rather than centuries, so the difference becomes somewhat academic.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Every write operation of an SSD wears it down though. It's just that defragmentation would do so unnecessarily. Not to mention it would negate the effect of the wear leveling algorithms. It was a nit pick, mostly because damaging makes it sound like a lot more than it is.