Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Video Gaming Often Compromises Sleep

New research finds that video gaming is often an impediment to obtaining adequate sleep.

In a new study, researchers from the University of North Texas Health Science Center found that that on average, gamers delayed going to bed 36 percent of the nights they played video games. They also discovered study participants averaged 4.6 nights per week of game playing.

Overall, the average delay in bedtime on the nights spent gaming was 101 minutes, or nearly two hours.

“These finding provide further insight into factors that influence individuals’ decision making when determining if they should get sufficient sleep. Our data shows that video gaming is quite an important factor that frequently leads to missed sleep for 67 percent of gamers,” said lead author and principal investigator Brandy M. Roane, Ph.D.

“Additionally, the reasons provided by gamers for their choice to delay their bedtime strongly supports the inclusion of video gaming as an addictive behavior.”

The research abstract was published recently in an online supplement of the journal Sleep and was presented in Denver at SLEEP 2016, the 30th Anniversary Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC (APSS).

The study included online surveys from 963 gamers. Participants were U.S. gamers with an average age of 28.7 years who played video games at least once the previous week.

Survey questions included queries on demographics, gaming consoles, game genres, gaming frequency and duration.
    http://psychcentral.com/news/2016/06...ep/104769.html

Whatever happened to self control? Such a shame what is happening to society.

Should probably change the title to "Hobbies Often Compromise Sleep".
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    Not true. Me playing doesn't compromise sleep. If anything it helps me sleep better by making me more exhausted when I'm ready for bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not true. Me playing doesn't compromise sleep. If anything it helps me sleep better by making me more exhausted when I'm ready for bed.
    you playing what exactly? tennis? golf? video games? basketball?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Whatever happened to self control? Such a shame what is happening to society.
    Indeed. There was a time when people had to put some effort into their trolling. Nowadays a person can just copy/paste random nonsense onto a forum and get bites.

And that's just your experience, not everyone's. So, it's not true for you but, for some of us, it is.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy fucking shit. Next think you'll tell me is that people get their oxygen from breathing!

10+ Year Old Account
    True for me sadly. But I have to be just about exhausted before i can fall asleep. If not, my mind races with stupid shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Holy fucking shit. Next think you'll tell me is that people get their oxygen from breathing!
    woah woah woah....this is breaking news folks. quick GETS THIS TO TENNISACES DESK AT ONCE! stop the presses! we got our sunday edition headline! and here i thought it was all done by some magic air genie.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

7+ Year Old Account
    So people like to have fun and they put off a little sleep to have more fun? I don't see how this is bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you playing what exactly? tennis? golf? video games? basketball?
    Me playing tennis sorry. Exercise is a really good hobby in general when it comes to keeping a healthy sleep schedule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me playing tennis sorry. Exercise is a really good hobby in general when it comes to keeping a healthy sleep schedule.
    you really like tennis tennisace. who is your favorite tennis player?

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    So people like to have fun and they put off a little sleep to have more fun? I don't see how this is bad.
    Any excuse to bemoan the decline of society. It's one of our favorite pastimes.

Oh yeah. I'm addicted to video games. I'd rather be addicted to a $60 purchase and lose about 100 minutes of sleep than be addicted to any drug and fuck my body up.

15+ Year Old Account
    No lie if it wasn't for your cuteum avatar I would ignore you. Not that you're wrong in this thread either, but still

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    Oh yeah. I'm addicted to video games. I'd rather be addicted to a $60 purchase and lose about 100 minutes of sleep than be addicted to any drug and fuck my body up.
    Everybody is addicted to me. Rub my body

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    carpal tunnel syndrome.
    bad posture.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man he got banned. I know you're reading this. Come back to me avatar mccuteums

Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    True for me sadly. But I have to be just about exhausted before i can fall asleep. If not, my mind races with stupid shit.
    I hear ya. I'm also one of those people that don't function during the day but mind is racing in bed :/

10+ Year Old Account
    In my 20's having sex kept me awake too much, now in my 30's its video games and alcohol
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    Pretty much this.