Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movie (Warcraft)] How would you handle the sequel?

If you were in charge of story? Considering Garona has to do something, and she disappears until Cata in the lore, what would you do with her? How much of the Second War would you do, or would you time skip and get to Thrall ASAP? I really feel like they've dug a hole (I really enjoyed it FYI) in terms of sequels and being trueish to the lore. There's a lot they'll need to change.

How would you handle it?

It really depends on whether or not a Warcraft film trilogy would cover the games in sequence (which would be incredibly disjointed, given how little WC3 shares with the first two games in terms of plot linearity and characters), or would cover the immediate storyline of Lothar and friends during the First and Second wars. In the case of the former, introducing characters such as Alleria and Turyalon becomes moot since they become a glaring case of "What Happened to the Mouse?" once the disappear through the Dark Portal after just one film.

- - - Updated - - -

My sequel plan would be going off of the latter scenario, with movie #2 finishing up the last bits of WC1 and most of WC2, and movie #3 finishing up WC3 and covering Beyond the Dark Portal (which is the conclusion to the first two games). Turyalon would be introduced in movie #2 as a squire to Lothar, would become the replacement general in the third movie (though Khadgar would take over as leader of the Alliance expedition for obvious reasons). Alleria would be a supporting Alliance character in the same vein as Garona for this movie. Because we don't want plot bloat, Garona's storyline would be finished in this film. On the Horde side, Orgrim would take over as lead protagonist, with Drek'thar coming in as sidekick (just as Orgrim was to Durotan). Gul'dan's physical would be destroyed by Orgrim (and possibly Garona) in movie #2, while his spirit would be fully destroyed by Khadgar in the final film (just as he did in Beyond the Dark Portal). It'd allow both characters to exact vengeance on their archenemies.

- - - Updated - - -

The Alliance is much more than just Stormwind, something which isn't very clear in the first movie (the other races only briefly show up and don't even help fight the Horde). The exiled people of Stormwind would require aid, which would be a fantastic time to bring in the other races, not just Lordareon. We could also get our first non-human Alliance character. For Dwarves, we can either go with Falstad or Muradin. Alleria for Quel'thelas is a given, possibly Kael'thas helping out in the Dalaran battle. We must be careful not to introduce more characters than we can do justice for, though.

7+ Year Old Account
    2nd movie, Second War and Gul'dan's downfall.

3rd movie, Third War and Thrall's Orgrimmar.

Budgets for each reduced substantially. :x
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Given that there are native trolls living in the southern reaches of the Eastern Kingdoms, we could see the Horde aligning with (or outright recruiting) them to add variety. Troll Shamans and hunters would provide nice contrast to the so far warrior-only Orcs in the films.

- - - Updated - - -

On reconsideration, I would recton the Dalaran fight to have never happened. It can remain a place of knowledge and exposition. Dalaran is already flying and safe from harm. The threat to the Alliance should be on Stormwind, not divided across three kingdoms (Stormwind, Dalaran, and Lordareon)

10+ Year Old Account
    Gul'dan trains some more warlocks are tries to open the portal. One by one they pass out leaving Gul'dan to do it himself he succeeds but goes into a coma.

Orgim goes to find Draka only finding her body. Enraged he returns and slaughters the Warlocks. Orgrim then takes the Horde as his own determined to save the Orcs. Garona speaks out against war with the humans pushing for peace but Orgim turns on her saying any chance at peace died with King Llane.

Cut to SW the city and surrounding area are battle scared the walls still stand but its clear they are pressed hard. Lothar decides that the fall of SW is inevitable with the Portal now open and moves to evacuate the city. The Horde move quicker than anticipated as the bulk of the remaining SW forces hold the Horde back Lothar and khadgar quickly try to get everyone on board what ships remain. Lothar plans to stay and lead the defense but Khandgar knocks him out and makes has the royal guard take him to Varians ship.
    After the sacking Gul'dan wakes up and gives Orgim the first Death Knights Garona is disgusted by this but says nothing. The Horde then follows after the refugees recruiting the Trolls when they make landfall.

From there on its much like Warcraft II. I would omit the battles in the Hinterlands for time sake but we would keep most of the rest from the book. When the Orcs reach Quel'thalas Garona is enchanted by the beauty of the place but when they forests are burned by the Dragon riders she abandons the Horde. Thens then continue as the book details all the way to Blackrock Mountain.

Deleted
    Stormwind must burn.

just make a lich king one

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn’t look for continuation, really; I’d go for another story.

Ultimately, with where the movie leaves off, the best story to tell would be Thrall’s. As much as I dislike the character he ended up post-Wrath (thanks to appallingly poor writing), much of the Warcraft story revolves around his actions upon escaping Durnholde. The only real problem is that there isn’t a good story to tell for the Alliance in amongst this, as even expanding upon the internment camps doesn’t paint them in an especially good light.

I think there’s just too much material for a traditional sequel.

Second movie: Lord of the Clans + the relevant parts of Warcraft 2. Incorporate dragons, trolls, ogres, gnomes and goblins. Gul'dan as the main villain, Orgrim and Lothar as veterans, Thrall and Turalyon as the new guys.

Third movie: Thrall's campaign from Warcraft 3 up to the foundation of Orgrimmar (no Third War) + Beyond the Dark Portal. Incorporate demons, draenei, tauren and night elves. Ner'zhul and Mannoroth as the main villains, Thrall and Turalyon as protagonists.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2016-06-20 at 09:06 AM.

The only way to start the next movie would be showing adult Thrall doing gladiator stuff.

Broxigar hacking demons for 2 hours.

Also, no sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    The only way to start the next movie would be showing adult Thrall doing gladiator stuff.
    I think one of my only complaints about the ending to the Warcraft movie is that Blackmoore should've had a few seconds of screen time during that ending. I assume Langston is the human who picked Thrall up. Should've seen some drunk looking dude with a beard show up all like "Well WTF do we have here?" Would've been a perfect way to end it.

Sacking of stormwind
    Alliance preparing as horde moves north.
    Alliance gets betrayed.
    Ogrim returns to take over the horde.

Then at some point horde lose and thrown into camps.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Forget the film and create an animated series.

Hire someone who understands that the Alliance is not your stereotypical human cliche-ville.

Get someone that cares about the entire story and not just Orcs and we have a solid movie. Otherwise, it will just be a repeat of this and we may as well sell the rights to a Chinese company.

10+ Year Old Account
    get better actors & write a compelling story.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Hire someone who understands that the Alliance is not your stereotypical human cliche-ville.
    Uh, like Duncan Jones?

The First War (from the opening of the Dark Portal to the destruction of Stormwind) was just Orcs vs humans. It's not the screen writer's faults that Warcraft canon for the first film is the way it is.

Now that there is an impetus for the races of the Eastern Kingdoms to unite, we will undoubtedly see more of the non-human side of blue team.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Uh, like Duncan Jones?

The First War (from the opening of the Dark Portal to the destruction of Stormwind) was just Orcs vs humans. It's not the screen writer's faults that Warcraft canon for the first film is the way it is.

Now that there is an impetus for the races of the Eastern Kingdoms to unite, we will undoubtedly see more of the non-human side of blue team.
    Um, like a new crew entirely. Including the moron who decided to start with the first war.

Let's face it, Warcraft didn't blow up until 2-3. Few people actually care about the generic human v Orc conflict. If they wanted to do something different and fresh, they probably should have not done the exact same conflict that every single other fantasy movie/show/game/book has done to death.

And hire some writers and director who is not channeling their Inner Metzen. Warcraft is more than how complex and awesome the Orcs are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    get better actors & write a compelling story.
    ^^^^

The Orc side was awesome (and every person and critic who sees the film agrees) Humans sucked balls.

I didn't think the movie was very good but I wouldn't mind a sequel being made. I would prefer the sequel was about illidan and the outlands. I would prefer another sequel was made after that about arthas becoming the lich king. I would prefer that cgi was used as little as possible. I felt the use of cgi in the warcraft movie was overused and very bad, especially on the orcs, backgrounds, elves and dwarves.
    If I was making the sequel, the opening scene would be about illidan, malfurian and tyrande. I would show the scenes of the well of the eternity. I would show what happens to azshara. I would show the blood elves and their struggles against the trolls. Then I would focus on illidans story.
    I would prefer that the people who make game of thrones make the warcraft movies in the style of game of thrones. Not rated r, but the battle scenes, backgrounds, casting and effects the way they make them as well as their character development. It wouldn't be rated r but it would be as dark and gritty, bloody that could get away with.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2016-06-22 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Second movie: Lord of the Clans + the relevant parts of Warcraft 2. Incorporate dragons, trolls, ogres, gnomes and goblins. Gul'dan as the main villain, Orgrim and Lothar as veterans, Thrall and Turalyon as the new guys.

Third movie: Thrall's campaign from Warcraft 3 up to the foundation of Orgrimmar (no Third War) + Beyond the Dark Portal. Incorporate demons, draenei, tauren and night elves. Ner'zhul and Mannoroth as the main villains, Thrall and Turalyon as protagonists.
    A side note. Jones has already stated he will introduce a Tauren for the second movie if he gets to make one. So, the way I see it, after Orgrim's fall and the liberation of the orcs , a wandering Tauren will show Thrall the way to Kalimdor, a place where they could make a new home for their people. (Maybe this Tauren can be a slave in one of Blackmoore's camps and so Thrall gets to meet him).
    One problem that I see is that Orgrim has already left the Horde by the end of the first movie. He's already gone rogue and looking for Durotan's son. He can't become Warchief anymore.
    So the Alliance would be facing Gul'dan's Horde. Not only Gul'dan as main villain, but also Aedelas Blackmoore (trying to form an army of enslaved orcs to overcome the Alliance).Of course they have to introduce a time skip in any point for all these events to suit.
    Also I won't show dragons. I think they alienate the story and were used as a forced resource to give the Horde an ultimate unit for Warcraft II. The dragons should be depicted as more powerful and respected beings than the way they were for the Second War.

Note : All of this stuff I'm talking about is for the second movie. Your sinopsis for the third one suits perfect for me.
    Last edited by Vitrino; 2016-06-22 at 10:34 AM.