Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

GTX 1070, but which version?

Hi Guys,

I've just finished rebuilding my PC (kinda), and the final piece will be the GPU. I have settled on the GTX 1070. But there are so many different versions of it. Ca n i ask how to identify the goods from the bads in this department?

Thanks,

Naii

I'm getting the MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X. MSI videocards have a stellar reputation and I have a positive previous experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I'm getting the MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X. MSI videocards have a stellar reputation and I have a positive previous experience.
    99% sure this is my card aswell.

I haven't thoroughly compared it to others, but this looks like it's perfect for my build. Waiting for the price to drop though, this still sells for 500+ euro here.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Deleted
    I'm thinking the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 SEA HAWK X. Will go nicely with my H55 and Consair case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Expecting my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G to arrive today.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Expecting my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G to arrive today.
    Where did you find that rare monster? I'm unable to find any MSI gaming X cards via my usual sources.

15+ Year Old Account
    Azerty.nl, I pre-ordered it the day it was announced (10-06-2016) and they came into stock yesterday.

When I asked last Friday they had an order of 100 pending, of which 80 were already reserved, but I see now that the remaining 20 are already sold.
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Where did you find that rare monster? I'm unable to find any MSI gaming X cards via my usual sources.

Not sure if helpful, but ebuyer have them coming back in stop on the 8th of July. Available for pre-order atm.

Azerty.nl, I pre-ordered it the day it was announced (10-06-2016) and they came into stock yesterday.

When I asked last Friday they had an order of 100 pending, of which 80 were already reserved, but I see now that the remaining 20 are already sold.
    I'm actually looking for the 1080 version of MSI but might end up buying the founders edition, since noone seems to know when/if they will ever be in stock anywhere.

I'll probably stick with Asus or Gigabyte. They never let me down. Not MSI for sure. Had enough bad experience with this brand.

I would just be happy to find one that isn't priced $200 above retail

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    I'll probably stick with Asus or Gigabyte. They never let me down. Not MSI for sure. Had enough bad experience with this brand.
    Really? I have a MSI laptop, it has been the best laptop I ever had, non gaming wise that is

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners

Man, I love azerty. By far one of the best retailers in hardware I've been with. I have a rather new 970, so I won't replace it until the 1080ti releases (or whatever they will call it).

15+ Year Old Account

There are no breaks on the hype train.

EVGA 1070 FTW with ACX 3.0 cooler, hands down.

Usually one of the best ones in factory OC speed and EVGA their warranty, even in the EU, is unbeaten.
    They even let you upgrade your card within 90 days if a faster one is available, like I know someone who bought a 970 2 months ago and could pick a 1070 now and all he had to do was ship the gpu to EVGA in Germany and pay the difference between a 970 and 1070.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are no breaks on the hype train.
    You are a lucky person... I ordered a GTX 1080 G1 Gaming edition @ SiComputers.nl on the 10th of June ... still unknown delivery.
    Funny thing is it's for a Greek who requested my building services since I am going to Greece on Holiday this year (as well as Serbia, Croatia and possibly Montenegro).

For his sake I hope the card gets here soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    EVGA 1070 FTW with ACX 3.0 cooler, hands down.

Usually one of the best ones in factory OC speed and EVGA their warranty, even in the EU, is unbeaten.
    They even let you upgrade your card within 90 days if a faster one is available, like I know someone who bought a 970 2 months ago and could pick a 1070 now and all he had to do was ship the gpu to EVGA in Germany and pay the difference between a 970 and 1070.
    The warranty and quality is mostly a matter of opinion between who buys what.
    However most reviews do put GigaByte and MSI ahead of EVGA both in cooling and performance.

That doesn't take away their warranties (depending on which model exactly as not all are 5 - 10 years as in the US) nor possible trade-ins.

But don't praise them too highly because they have made their fair share of mistakes people are now grating ASUS for.
    Like not making contact with all heatpipes on the GPU cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The warranty and quality is mostly a matter of opinion between who buys what.
    However most reviews do put GigaByte and MSI ahead of EVGA both in cooling and performance.

That doesn't take away their warranties (depending on which model exactly as not all are 5 - 10 years as in the US) nor possible trade-ins.

But don't praise them too highly because they have made their fair share of mistakes people are now grating ASUS for.
    Like not making contact with all heatpipes on the GPU cooler.
    Almost every company screwed up with at least 1 generation of gpu's, Gigabyte was pretty shitty on the HD 7970, both me and my brother had screen flickers after a few months due to failing cooling, but I don't hold that against Gigabyte cause everything can break.

Also I doubt a gigabyte or MSI is faster then a FTW, I'm not talking about the stock or SC EVGA, FTW's got one of the highest factory OC speeds out there next to Zotac AMP extreme editions but ofc you pay that extra power and they are usually the more expensive aftermarket cards.
    I had nothing but good experiences with their ACX 2.0 cooler in terms of cooling and noise, also doesn't run at idle use so that helps ( though more cards do that nowadays ) so I expect their 3.0 version to do just as well.

But yeah I like them cause their cards look good, perform good and the extended warranty ( only basing it on their EU page ) is unbeaten over here in terms of how long it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Almost every company screwed up with at least 1 generation of gpu's, Gigabyte was pretty shitty on the HD 7970, both me and my brother had screen flickers after a few months due to failing cooling, but I don't hold that against Gigabyte cause everything can break.

Also I doubt a gigabyte or MSI is faster then a FTW, I'm not talking about the stock or SC EVGA, FTW's got one of the highest factory OC speeds out there next to Zotac AMP extreme editions but ofc you pay that extra power and they are usually the more expensive aftermarket cards.
    I had nothing but good experiences with their ACX 2.0 cooler in terms of cooling and noise, also doesn't run at idle use so that helps ( though more cards do that nowadays ) so I expect their 3.0 version to do just as well.

But yeah I like them cause their cards look good, perform good and the extended warranty ( only basing it on their EU page ) is unbeaten over here in terms of how long it is.
    Every brand fucks up at some point in time, nothing new there.

However if you look at cards which can perform properly both MSI and GigaByte hold the record on the GTX 900 series for being the best, the GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming edition is declared to be among the best, if not THE best overclocker.
    However you paid for it and yes things change of course but EVGA's GTX 900 series wasn't that stellar.

I can however tell you that EVGA's warranty in the US is better than in the EU for graphics, most of the time you get 2 - 3 years even on the highest end stuff.

Combined with the fact that everyone gets duds of any brand and that the availability of EVGA and ZOTAC being lower here in the EU than US is why I stated that warranty and quality is mostly a matter of opinion between who buys what and where.

The one thing I think we can all agree on is that we should hope that coil whine isn't as prevalent on the GTX 1000 series as it was on the GTX 900 series.
    Dear God that was atrocious, especially A LOT of the 970s.

Well I preordered me a MSI gtx1080 gaming x after talking to the shop, seems there is a shortage in the whole of Europe on these Nvidia cards, this one was highest on my list and should be one of the earlier available ones although no delivery date could be provided, not to mention it is 50€ cheaper then the Asus strix.

Funny, the FTW+, not just the FTW the step above that, in the 970 had a factory OC of 1.22Ghz. The Zotac AMP! Extreme Core Edition was 1.23 as was the Galax HOF. However, beating them all is the Gigabyte XTREME Gaming OC Edition at 1.24.

That's just factory OCs though. Who has the best factory OC does not really matter. Who has the best cooler that allows the best manual OCs? Gigabyte typically does with MSI not far behind. Not that EVGA is a bad brand, and they do have pretty good warranties(when they honor it, heard some horror stories on this), they are just not what they make themselves out to be. They do have some damn good marketing though, as they have fooled plenty of people in to thinking they are the best, despite hard evidence to the contrary.

To: OP if you're still looking for a 1070. The closest card seen to the msrp of 379.

Gigabyte just drop this card on newegg.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-06-25 at 08:35 AM.