Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    So your saying we shouldn't try to improve society. That the status quo is good enough so just leave it be?

Thank god people like you aren't in charge. We would still be in the dark ages.
    I am saying that the machine of society will try to extract as much productivity from you as possible. Society does not care about your happiness it only wants more productivity from you. In the end it will leave you just like a harsh master leaves his broken down mule.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because your kids are citizens, too. The government is protecting them. In this case, from your neglectful parenting.
    Who said that I wanted to be a citizen? I never asked to be one, it was forced on me from the beginning through a potentially unwanted social contract.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-06-21 at 01:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Who said that I wanted to be a citizen? I never asked to be one, it was forced on me from the beginning through a potentially unwanted social contract.
    What's stopping you from leaving exactly?

I am saying that the machine of society will try to extract as much productivity from you as possible. Society does not care about your happiness it only wants more productivity from you. In the end that will leave you just like a harsh master leaves his broken down donkey.
    Move somewhere really far and forget about society. But hey! Make your own clothes, electricity, food, potable water etc. Not wanting to be in a society does have consequences.

Because the government wants to brainwash your children into accepting certain views and practices that may or may not go against your personal desires. As a result, they've made education compulsory for K-12.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    There is and that is basically what is done with home schooling. The parent gives them assignments and the kids have to do them. Nowadays most of that is done on computers using the internet. And they have to pass a test in order to graduate.
    I knew such system was implemented in many universities, but I wasn't aware home schooling was organized like that too. That's pretty sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Kids below 18 don't get to make that choice and I doubt parents would want their kids to grow up out of society.
    Anthropologists that have studied tribal communities frequently report that they have higher happiness levels than societal citizens. That's a pretty damn good reason to not live in a society.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Because the government wants to brainwash your children into accepting certain views and practices that may or may not go against your personal desires. As a result, they've made education compulsory for K-12.
    This. School in the US is not about education. It's about indoctrination. At least in the US, school has absolutely nothing to do with learning.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am saying that the machine of society will try to extract as much productivity from you as possible. Society does not care about your happiness it only wants more productivity from you. In the end that will leave you just like a harsh master leaves his broken down donkey.

This is not true. Society is not stopping me from being happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're free to leave the country and give it up, then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Well he did want another American civil war.
    More or less exactly what i was going to say Wonder how many pages this will go?. So, OP would you rather your children grow up not knowing how to read and write and do basic math...or are you going to take the time to teach them? They also need school for the social aspect too. Knew some kids that were home schooled when I was growing up (not saying it's bad) and they had very little social anything and were very withdrawn. Besides that...who would want kids around 24/7?

10+ Year Old Account

So what is stopping you from leaving said social contract?

"In societies best interest" again society pursuing its own agenda.
    What if I do not care about participating in a modern economy?
    A parent making the decision to not send their children to school robs that children of opportunities within a society. Who says I want to live in a society?
    You're free to go somewhere else.
    Beta Club Brosquad

And why is industry so important? I suppose you could argue that it increases quality of life, but industry also brings an equal amount of problems such as greed, land destruction, higher cancer rates, and class stratification and inequality. You never hear of income inequality within tribal communities because it simply does not exist in those circumstances. Furthermore, anthropologists have recorded on many occasions that tribal communities report high happiness levels that civilization dwellers. So again I ask why is industry so important?
    You literally just said you never hear of income inequality within tribal communities....You do know that tribal communities basically don't have income, right? They farm, hunt, and gather. Then they trade for what they didn't do. There's no income, there's only survival. Maybe you should have learned a little more in that formal education you were sent to.

Education is required because it produces people who are capable of being productive in society. If they don't want that, they are welcome to move out of civilization and not be leeches. The rest of us go to school and work, you just want to not be educated and be completely ignorant (Which you're well on your way already) and contribute nothing to society.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    "In societies best interest" again society pursuing its own agenda.
    What if I do not care about participating in a modern economy?
    A parent making the decision to not send their children to school robs that children of opportunities within a society. Who says I want to live in a society?
    well then move somewhere else like African Jungle where some of those Tribes live who dont have a government behind them who force them to do things problem solved for u if u want to live like a stoneage guy
    Last edited by Icoblablubb; 2016-06-21 at 01:45 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    We don't like the idea that we should all be farmers/gatherers/hunters living off what we can find from day to day. The society's agenda is to make sure people can grow up safe, healty and free to learn more about the universe, so we can harness its power to further improve our lives. We dream of a world where we can travel between galaxies in mere seconds, live as long as we'd like and fuck hot alien chicks.....ok, forget that last one.
    RED: And the truth is revealed! Societies main agenda is to constantly push its own power. BLUE: And I disagree with you that societal progress improves because each advancement comes with just as many upsides as it does downsides. In fact, there is evidence to suggest that society actually makes us less happy and fulfilled. I should have seen it from the beginning, it is always a quest for more power.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-06-21 at 01:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So get out, see ya!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Move somewhere that you don't benefit from said economy.
    There is nowhere to move. Society has expanded across the entire globe. There is no escaping its reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    This. School in the US is not about education. It's about indoctrination. At least in the US, school has absolutely nothing to do with learning.
    Amazing how many people don't seem to realize that school is primarily to teach kids how to fit in, obey rules and conform to expectations, rather than to "educate". Actually learning stuff that's relevant is an occasional, secondary benefit.

RED: And the truth is revealed! Societies main agenda is to constantly push its own power. And I disagree with you that societal progress improves because each advancement comes with just as many upsides as it does downsides. In fact, there is evidence to suggest that society actually makes us less happy and fulfilled. I should have seen it from the beginning, it is always a quest for more power.
    Lol so you would like to go back to a point where we all kill animals with spears and raise our own food?
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nowhere to move. Society has expanded across the entire globe. There is no escaping its reach.

There are a few uncontacted tribes out there yet. So yes it is possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples