Am I an immigrant?

In was born and live in England, but my great grandmother was born in Ireland, my grandfather was also born in Ireland, and my other grandmother was born in Germany, and my other grandfather was born in Scotland, so was all his ancestors, but my grandmother and mum were born in England, so was I.

What does this make me?

15+ Year Old Account
    Obvious troll account is obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Steaks View Post
    In was born and live in England, but my great grandmother was born in Ireland, my grandfather was also born in Ireland, and my other grandmother was born in Germany, and my other grandfather was born in Scotland, so was all his ancestors, but my grandmother and mum were born in England, so was I.

What does this make me?
    It makes you English, if you were born in England then you are English. You have immigrant grandparents on the one side, it's like how far back do you want to go, we all migrated from Africa hundreds of thousands of years ago so if you go far enough back everybody is an immigrant lol. Don't let Brexit fool you into thinking an immigrant is a lower citizen of some kind. Brexit isn't about not liking immigrants, it's about controlling the numbers. I voted leave in the postal vote but most of my friends here in the Lake District are immigrants, I love immigrants, my last girlfriend was an immigrant. I voted leave because I think the EU with it's regulations and money wasting is holding us back. It might be hard for a few years but I believe been part of the EU makes trading with the rest of the world harder. Our trade with the EU has fallen by 10% in the last 10 years because the EU is losing its edge and stifles competition, thats why all the big companies love it.

Sorry to go off on a Brexit tangent but hey, i just wrote what came to mind lol.
    Last edited by druenos; 2016-06-21 at 08:31 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What does this make me?
    English...

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes you English. Ancestry is completely irrelevant, if you were born and grew up in country, you are definitely a native to that country. If you happen to have some English-Irish dual citizenship, but lived your entire life in England, you are not legally an immigrant to Ireland if you then decide to permanently move there. Then again, you may be a cultural one but that's irrelevant before the law. Might make it easy to pick you out though.

This is why it irks me when one of my friends, himself son to immigrants from Turkey, refers to himself as a Turk. I'm like "sorry, but you're not". He may have grown up bilingually, but he has lived in Germany his entire life, and been to Turkey twice to visit some family.

If ancestry had any impact on this, there wouldn't be any Americans nowadays for example.

You're English with Irish, Scottish, and German ancestry.

I look more like an Irish person than an English person and I have an Irish name.

My grandmother fled Germany during ww2 to Ireland where she met my grandfather, and was an immigrant in Ireland speaking German.

I'm more Irish and Scottish than German, but nothing in me is English...and strangely I don't feel part of England, like I don't belong here. Just can't explain why, it's little things which annoy me so god knows how Syrians feel

Deleted
    An Irish-German Englishman

In England.

And a mutt.

Try not to think about it too much. I would venture that the majority of people in the world don't like where they grew up and would rather have been born somewhere else, familiarity breeds contempt after all. Patriotism and nationalism are really quite unnatural in terms of human psychology - it's probably hard to be proud of being English when all the people around you that you can't stand and wish would eat shit and die are probably English as well. Forget all the labels and just live your damn life.

What does this make me?
    European . . .

It would depend on who you asked in Britain. In the US we're all immigrants but in Britain there are the original Brits who are kin to Boudicca.

Even in the US, Native Americans immigrated here via Siberia tens of thousands of years ago, but they sort of feel more native than the rest of us.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It would depend on who you asked in Britain. In the US we're all immigrants but in Britain there are the original Brits who are kin to Boudicca.

Even in the US, Native Americans immigrated here via Siberia tens of thousands of years ago, but they sort of feel more native than the rest of us.
    All humans migrated from one cradle in S.A.
    We're all immigrants. Just gotta go back far enough.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    since we're all immigrants. should we just all go back to our original country then, why can't we humans be a migrant species like we where before. it's the modern human that has be territorial and forcing others to do the same.

My father is Hungarian, my mother is Greek, I was born in Austria, raised in a bunch of different countries, I hold US and British citizenships and I'm eligible to Hungarian one. I was mostly educated in the UK and the US. I have never lived in a place longer than 7 years. Currently I am living in Spain and been here for slightly over 6 years.

At home and with my friends I speak English, with my family I speak Hungarian, German and Greek, at work we speak mostly English within the company, Spanish outside.

I speak Spanish to a native level fluency with a Madrid accent, English with an American accent.

What the fuck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    My father is Hungarian, my mother is Greek, I was born in Austria, raised in a bunch of different countries, I hold US and British citizenships and I'm eligible to Hungarian one. I was mostly educated in the UK and the US. I have never lived in a place longer than 7 years. Currently I am living in Spain and been here for slightly over 6 years.

At home and with my friends I speak English, with my family I speak Hungarian, German and Greek, at work we speak mostly English within the company, Spanish outside.

I speak Spanish to a native level fluency with a Madrid accent, English with an American accent.

What the fuck am I?
    showing off

Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    showing off
    No. It's a genuine question. What am I?

Because all the nationalist bullshit is literally absurd to me. People tend to live in little bubbles where they actually convince themselves that their nationality or ethnicity is actually somehow "important".

It isn't.

Unless you happen to be unlucky enough to be born outside the Western World. If you were born in the Western World, your nationality or ethnicity is absolutely fucking irrelevant, and has about as much value as your taste in music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

What the fuck am I?
    White? 101010

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Makes you English. Ancestry is completely irrelevant, if you were born and grew up in country, you are definitely a native to that country.
    It's not quite that simple legally. Since '83 nationality/citizenship is only automatically conferred if at least one parent is either a citizen or legally "settled" here when the birth takes place.

wiki summary as the regulations are confusing as fuck https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom