Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legion: Will destruction be the go-to spec?

I went into the PTR (I understand it's not the same without the artifacts) and tried all 3 specs. All seem nice (I especially like demo), but only destruction seem to actually be the best choice for most raid bosses. That is because it has burst and effective cleaving/target swapping, while the other 2 specs need a bit of time when they switch targets.

Maybe if someone specs demo with implosion, hand of doom and the eye laser monster, there could be some more effective low-health-add killing.

I wouldn't have any problem with playing with 2 specs and switch to whatever is needed, but with the artifacts, it seems like we will have one stronger (more leveled up) spec than the other. So, if I main demo and have destro off-spec, if I have to spec into destro for a boss, it might feel like I am not playing to my full potential, because it's not as leveled up as my demo artifact.

I don't know, any ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you say if tomorrow Blizzard would let's say buff Shadowbolt/Demonbolt by 200% or Secrets of Necrolyte by similar amount?

How can we know now? A spec that has all the tools does not guarantee it to be the best, others can simply bruteforce it through balance.

If you base it on raw mechanics then yes destro makes the most sense right now.

As per usual tuning determines everything though.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

God I hope not. Destro feels like the least warlocky spec out of the 3.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

Destro has been very strong in the past and has seen some favor over the single target dominance affliction has in HFC. However, it was mainly due to the spell cleave being extremely viable on many of the bosses. With the changes to Seed of Corruption in legion, I don't know if this will still be the case. There also seems to be a great number of single target fights.

For prepatch it wouldnt matter what spec we are to begin with really. In legion i wouldnt know. No beta club. But i believe some ppl r looking at aff/demo <at least deepshades was>

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmiget View Post
    For prepatch it wouldnt matter what spec we are to begin with really. In legion i wouldnt know. No beta club. But i believe some ppl r looking at aff/demo <at least deepshades was>
    I can see those 2 being really strong. Destruction, as much as I don't like being Firemage 2.0, has had too much attention. I especially didn't like the fact that they released a cosmetic change to our abilities that really only effected Destro. I want green affliction spells =(

Quote Originally Posted by Leviosuh View Post
    I want green affliction spells =(
    Well you're in luck! Your main filler now is green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Well you're in luck! Your main filler now is green!
    What?! How did I not here about this? Thank you kind stranger, SCORE!

7+ Year Old Account
    What?! How did I not here about this? Thank you kind stranger, SCORE!
    drain life has replaced siphon soul, as they are both basicly the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I can see those 2 being really strong. Destruction, as much as I don't like being Firemage 2.0, has had too much attention. I especially didn't like the fact that they released a cosmetic change to our abilities that really only effected Destro. I want green affliction spells =(
    You can't really fault blizzard for that, warlock players had been clamoring for green fire since at least BC. It just so happens that destro is the only spec that actually uses fire. Demo at least used to have green soul fires.

Deleted
    Off all the 3 specs, destro feels the most fluid. Affliction is ok but hits like a wet noodle atm. Demo feels clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by dender View Post
    Demo feels clunky.
    Is clunky the new buzzword folks throw around when they don't like a spec but don't have the ability to describe why?

Demonology is smooth as butter.

Deleted
    Affliction hitting like a wet noodle atm. Ok, i think i witnessed everything now

Quote Originally Posted by Kainslife View Post
    Is clunky the new buzzword folks throw around when they don't like a spec but don't have the ability to describe why?

People also tend to react negatively to any changes in their environment.

Destructions the old buzzword, the very very old buzzword. A lot of times I replace the word in sentences with "unintuitive" as that's usually what people seem to be trying to get across.

Though I'd find that odd in this case, as demo is very intuitive at least for single target, and only gets into "clunk" at multi-target / aoe.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Sounds like an opinion to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandy View Post
    Sounds like an opinion to me.
    Hardly.

At its core, you have two options for builders and two options for spenders:

Shadowbolt to build on Single Target, Demonwrath to build during AE. Then for spenders you have the primary one with a CD in Dreadstalkers and then your filler spender with Hand of Guldan.

You have one talent for burst AE (Implosion), one for sustained AE (Summon Darkglare), and one for single target movement (Shadowflame). Your artifact weapon is essentially a play on the ever-present Colossus Smash style where you want to pool resources (in Demo's case, pets + shards) when it's about to come off CD and then blow your load.

It doesn't honestly get much smoother than that.

affl aoe is stronger than destro on the ptr atm, but destro's cleave with the way havoc works now is amazing...Demo is in a wierd spot just because the artifact weapon is very important and a huge dmg buffer.
    Last edited by Zerach8; 2016-06-22 at 11:44 PM.

Destro seems decent enough but we will have to wait and see, the artifact catch up stuff will hopefully mean that you're not entirely gimped for needing to play 3 specs, as is usually the case with a pure class.