Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think we should check first.
    i agree. then he can be dealt with accordingly.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    El español es la lengua suprema!!!!!!!

Yes I'm a trilingual.

Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English.

Is polygot a more extreme version of bigot?

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Klingon for sure.
    this
    /10 char

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post

should be the case

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Rather than just hating "them" a polygot also has to be against "those" and "the other ones".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    I speak 4 languages fluently. I suppose I am a polyglot (you missed the L).
    Many people can "speak fluently" a language, but they're not on the level of true polyglots. Polyglots are people who have mastered their languages. Wikipedia has a good example; you can speak a language fluently, and even form complex sentence structures, with only a couple thousand words, while native speakers know tens of thousands, and those who have truly mastered the language know even more.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was about to, but I stopped learning german.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Many people can "speak fluently" a language, but they're not on the level of true polyglots. Polyglots are people who have mastered their languages. Wikipedia has a good example; you can speak a language fluently, and even form complex sentence structures, with only a couple thousand words, while native speakers know tens of thousands, and those who have truly mastered the language know even more.
    Actually I am... I have been lucky to live in 3 countries and lived about 10 years in each, and since I studied in all 3, I am lucky I guess that I now master those languages like a native (read, write etc) and not have only "conversation" level mastery of those languages.

I guess that when one can read real litterature of a given language and can pass on as a native, we can safely say he has a mastery of that language without going into further tests...

Deleted
    Actually I am... I have been lucky to live in 3 countries and lived about 10 years in each, and since I studied in all 3, I am lucky I guess that I now master those languages like a native (read, write etc) and not have only "conversation" level mastery of those languages.

I guess that when one can read real litterature of a given language and can pass on as a native, we can safely say he has a mastery of that language without going into further tests...
    Being able to read books and sound like a native speaker aren't signs of language mastery though.

Could you teach the language at a college level?

I'm not a goat and I'm not from poland.

But I can speak english (slight german accent, very sexy) and german.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2016-06-21 at 06:17 PM.

So I guess not a single polyglot exists in the entire world. At least not for any of the big languages. Mastering a language is impossible, especially those like English. there exist English words that have not been written in any book/on the net by anyone for years and even decades around. If one has mastered the language I assume one has reached perfection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    So I guess not a single polyglot exists in the entire world. At least not for any of the big languages. Mastering a language is impossible, especially those like English. there exist English words that have not been written in any book/on the net by anyone for years and even decades around. If one has mastered the language I assume one has reached perfection.
    Where did you get that definition of "mastery" from?

Being able to read books and sound like a native speaker aren't signs of language mastery though.

Could you teach the language at a college level?
    Indeed I can.

Deleted
    Indeed I can.
    OK, if you say so.

I speak 3 languages besides English.

Where did you get that definition of "mastery" from?
    Well, according to your other posts, it seems like you find it at the college level. Which I find weird, as that is not where i would place mastery. But I guess that as language is a relative thing that is impossible to truly master, would people who have actually studied language to a large degree not be the only ones that could be considered polyglot?

I know enough Spanish to get me into trouble. To a lesser extent, same thing with French, Farsi and Japanese. I'm not fluent in any of those but I can understand enough to know when people are being assholes and I can speak enough to get myself beat up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I am. I speak English, obviously, and am fluent in Tagalog and Bikolano, Mandarin Chinese, and German (I can read and write in these languages at advanced levels particularly German and Chinese. Tagalog and Bikolano are native to me but I don't read as well in those languages as I do with Chinese and German). I am conversational in Spanish and I am trying to learn Japanese.

As a side-note, if we count programming languages....I also know C++, Python, LabView, and Mathematica programming languages.
    Last edited by Jademist; 2016-06-21 at 06:27 PM.