Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    OK, if you say so.
    omg this feels like

why would I lie or even argue with you?

Peace man, carry on with your thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    French/English. Trying to learn in my free time. Right now I'm going on the Spanish route, although I've always been extremely interested in Japanese.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Well, according to your other posts, it seems like you find it at the college level. Which I find weird, as that is not where i would place mastery. But I guess that as language is a relative thing that is impossible to truly master, would people who have actually studied language to a large degree not be the only ones that could be considered polyglot?
    You set the bar at there being nobody on this planet who has mastered the language in the last post, and now it's at who have studied the language to a large degree, and those people obviously exist in great numbers. So the goal posts moved a bit there. That's OK though. However, I threw out at least a minimum of being able to teach it at an advanced level, which is what I see as the bare minimum requirement to be considered a "master" in it. Of course there are people on this planet who have mastered a language. Polyglots are those who have mastered several. There's no written rule anywhere that describes the requirements for one to be considered a polyglot, but I do know that people who are simply fluent in every day conversational speech and can read the language are not masters at it.

What would be a minimum requirement of number of languages to be a polyglot? Here in Finland, we learn Finnish and possibly even Swedish as an every day native language. English, obviously we learn quite fluently. So that's an automatic three fluent, native-level languages (since you can get there with English really easily) right there for people who come from a bilingual area; I personally don't, my Swedish sucks. So, pick up one more language in school, say one of the ones offered to us when we're 13 - French, Russian or German. Learn that to a "native level", or what was said before - being fluent in it and passing as a native, and being able to read books in it.

If that was all that was needed, I think there'd be quite a few polyglots from Finland alone. I see it as a step above of all that. Mastery is more than people tend to think apparently, but it's definitely not something nobody has attained.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    why would I lie or even argue with you?
    I never said you're lying. If anything, I think you overestimate your abilities, but I can't know that, which is why I have to take your word for it. However, why would you lie about being great at something? I believe it's called "e-peen". People lie all the time, and exaggerate about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    Peace man, carry on with your thread.
    Yeah, peace. Not my thread though.

15+ Year Old Account
    You already know everyone on this forum who isn't raised in Britain or the US are multilingual.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know portuguese, english and spanish. Sadly my english isn't all that good because I still need to practise conversation. Soon enough I plan to learn french and "technical" english (medical terms/abbreviations etc).

German is really useful for physicians to learn, but I don't know if I will ever have the time. It's too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I told you guys, I'm not a goat. Jeez.
    Shut up and EAT YOUR DAMN GRASS! You think there aren't other starving goats out there that wouldn't butt heads with you over that?

Speak only two, swedish and english.

Many people can "speak fluently" a language, but they're not on the level of true polyglots. Polyglots are people who have mastered their languages. Wikipedia has a good example; you can speak a language fluently, and even form complex sentence structures, with only a couple thousand words, while native speakers know tens of thousands, and those who have truly mastered the language know even more.
    One of the many reasons why I admired Christopher Lee... he could speak fluently in 7 languages.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-06-21 at 06:56 PM.

Yes, my native language + english. I also laugh at british/murican cunts correcting small mistakes of non english native speakers while they only know their own language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spanish and English. My Spanish isn't terrible but it's... improper I guess. Like someone from Spain would probably think I sound ridiculous but that's just good ol Spanglish for you. I prefer to speak English 99% of the time though

10+ Year Old Account
    Fluent in Russian and English, but know a bit of German, Hebrew, Spanish and Italian.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Yes. English and Spanish. Some French, Yiddish and German.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    The word you are looking for is polyglot.

EDIT: And, unfortunately, no. I focused on learning one language very well.
    I think you mean VERY GOOD. HA check mate

10+ Year Old Account
    No got Polly! I did used to have a budgie though.

Foreign languages? You mean like Glaswegian?

Aside from English, I used to be reasonably proficient with German and I manage phrasal Putonghua. Over the years, I exposed myself to several languages, but I got off with a warning the last time and stopped. I blame going to school in a very English portion of Quebec in the 60s and the trauma of having to see French lessons on TV. There was ... singing. And Napoleon. And an aunt's pen.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    No but i cosplay as a Porygon on my day off.

"when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

There's an old joke I heard once:

What is it that you call someone who speaks two languages?
    -Bilingual.
    And what is it that you call someone who speaks three languages?
    -Trilingual.
    And what is it that you call someone who speaks many languages?
    -Polylingual.
    And what is it that you call someone who can only speak one language?
    -American

Many people can "speak fluently" a language, but they're not on the level of true polyglots. Polyglots are people who have mastered their languages. Wikipedia has a good example; you can speak a language fluently, and even form complex sentence structures, with only a couple thousand words, while native speakers know tens of thousands, and those who have truly mastered the language know even more.
    My German has been confused for mother tongue by Germans many times

Other than English, I speak German and French. I can read Italian, Dutch and Spanish (comes from breezing through Latin in school, easy 90% on the report card ) and I can speak a bit of them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yo no habla espanol.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I think you mean VERY GOOD. HA check mate
    Good one. :P

If by polygot you mean I'd fuck multiple people from Game of Thrones, then yes, yes I am.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.