Steam game's £27 ($35US) DLC is a PDF certificate

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...df-certificate

There's DLC, and then there's this DLC.

Hadean Lands is an interactive fiction game done in the old adventure game style. There are no graphics. You simply type your commands and read what happens next.
    It's important to note that Hadean Lands does not come with hints or a walkthrough, because that's what this DLC revolves around.

The £26.99 DLC, which came out yesterday, is a certificate that says you, the player, promise to finish Hadean Lands without looking at any hints or walkthroughs on the Steam forums or anywhere else on the internet.

That's it.
    What next? Horse armour? Oh wait...
    And you thought EA,Ubisoft and Activision DLC was bad...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I saw the title and knew this would be pretentious indie game bunkum, not disappointed.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2016-06-22 at 10:02 PM.

What's up with all the copy-pasting clickbait articles the last few days...

Some sort of 'joke' from the developer.
    I've tried finding the humour in it, but I sadly can't.

Publicity? Probably.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And you thought EA,Ubisoft and Activision DLC was bad...
    I still do.

I don't see the issue. If someone wants to throw extra money at the devs to support them, they now can. The DLC itself is entirely irrelevant and in no way, shape, or form impacts the game in the slightest.

I've seen all kinds of righteous indignation and mockery over this and don't understand any of it.

I'm oddly okay with this, as long as they were upfront from the start exactly what it is.

People can only blame themselves if they bought it, hoping there was more.

I wouldn't even accept that DLC for free...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm oddly okay with this, as long as they were upfront from the start exactly what it is.

People can only blame themselves if they bought it, hoping there was more.
    This is odd to me though.

I'm perfectly ok with a donation type thing that does nothing with the game. But if someone buys it thinking there is more to it then its obviously not ok. Just because people arent equally intelligent doesnt mean they should have their money taken from them in good faith. Imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    It's one of those hipster jokes huh ? I guess if it gives them their 5 seconds of fame good for them.

Than again, main game has whole 6 reviews on steam so i doubt there is much interest if any in that game.

Well, you need some nerve to put a PDF certificate as a 35$ DLC, still the FAQ on the store page explains what this is about... Meh, the dev is a smart ass while the people blindly buying this "DLC" have more money than common sense.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    This is odd to me though.

I'm perfectly ok with a donation type thing that does nothing with the game. But if someone buys it thinking there is more to it then its obviously not ok. Just because people arent equally intelligent doesnt mean they should have their money taken from them in good faith. Imo.
    There's nothing about "not being equally intelligent". I'm saying if before you buy it, the page flat out says "This is all that's here" and they STILL buy it thinking "That must be a joke", then they only have themselves to blame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    There's nothing about "not being equally intelligent". I'm saying if before you buy it, the page flat out says "This is all that's here" and they STILL buy it thinking "That must be a joke", then they only have themselves to blame.
    With a game released in 2014 i really doubt anyone will care to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    With a game released in 2014 i really doubt anyone will care to buy it.
    That too though. Seems really odd to wait 2 years to put out something that probably took like an hour to make.

10+ Year Old Account
    only CD project red can make real worthy DLC others just dont have any idea or hope to make even a decent one

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't see the issue. If someone wants to throw extra money at the devs to support them, they now can. The DLC itself is entirely irrelevant and in no way, shape, or form impacts the game in the slightest.

I've seen all kinds of righteous indignation and mockery over this and don't understand any of it.
    If anything it is mocking the current trend in DLC, in that you can buy power, in many ways "legitimately" cheating your way through in a way intended by the developer.
    I agree that as long as you know what you are buying, there is nothing wrong with this.

That is the wort of thing that if I actually had the budget to do so, I would actively support.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    I mean....

Wouldnt that exactly have to do with someones intelligence?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If anything it is mocking the current trend in DLC, in that you can buy power, in many ways "legitimately" cheating your way through in a way intended by the developer.
    I agree that as long as you know what you are buying, there is nothing wrong with this.

That is the wort of thing that if I actually had the budget to do so, I would actively support.
    In my experience most DLC's are simply adding a little bit of additional content. Not power per se.

I mean....

The smartest people can make stupid choices. One choice doesn't make someone have low intelligence.

I mean....

- - - Updated - - -

In my experience most DLC's are simply adding a little bit of additional content. Not power per se.
    It depends on the game.
    Some are more guilty of it than others, like from my understanding (not played myself yet) Payday 2 - at least until a recent "change in management".
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.