Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    If you want difficulty and challange you're In the wrong game now, that was back In Vanila, TBC and Wrath. And to some extend Cataclysm but not really. And we've been heroes since Vanila, the "Heroes who helped Varian defeat Onyxia" and so on, and who saved Windsor from Blackrock to help reveal Lady Prestor's true Identity. Or the heroes who killed Rend Blackhand, the false Warchief because Thrall asked you to. (Btw, I think It would've been cooler If Blackhand enacted a Mak'gora or something, but that's me).

And sadly, Blizzard made It easy to just blitz through the lower level content for the sake of "Catching up with your friends" and therefore removing any joy we older veterans had with the older expansions and the dungeons they contained... lapdogs, all of them. And right now, they think that's how they'll keep players on WoW, to make leveling this easier and have people catch up to their friends who are already playing, or just by themselves. To get to the "Endgame" and In this case, they want us to get to Legino faster and experience It, while I think It can be easy to just slow down and enjoy each expansion one by one (OPTIONALY that Is, not forced upon you) and really you can do It by yourself, but you'd have to know where to go from place to place to experience It, and the experience Is different then the expansions were experienced back then.

Just don't even play WoW right now, before the next year comes, the subs will be so low Blizz will do something drastic to WoW to keep milking It more to death. The fact they keep banning people left and right (I don't mean bot users, screw them) Is also horrid and not helping their loyal customers In staying In the game, especially If most of them were banned lately.
    What does you being banned have to do with the topic on hand? My bad you just derail a lot of threads with your "I was banned/Blizzard ban loyal customers" garbage. On topic. Too late to turn it back now to be honest but we were always all going to be heroes.

i dont know how is for the other races, but as a forsaken after the ~20 level i'm a veteran for the real standard and then i helped in a myriad of conflicts, like deathwing, the exploring of pandaria, the civil war in orgrimmar and the conquering of draenor. if we condiser the previous generation of forsakens then we participate in a lot more conflicts, even the light had to acknowledge our power :|
    if this arent feats, at least for an undead, deserving heroism, then nobody can be a hero

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    It isn't because it comes at the cost of immersion. Once you are the most powerful character in the game you aren't really aspiring for anything beyond a higher iLvl.

It's more about driving home the point that players need assistance from major lore figures to deal with major villains. If you remove that you end up with bosses that aren't as engaging.
    That makes sense, but you can still have players be heroes if you still keep them dependent on other major lore figures too. For example, Thrall has done a lot to help fight our battles for us since Cata, but what if something really bad happened to him? The players would still be heroes that could decimate some lower baddies and win some decent battles, but Blizz could have have keep losing against the more important big bads until another major lore figure would join our side again.

Deleted
    I absolutely loathe it but there is no helping it at this point, it's been this way since WotlK at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    That makes sense, but you can still have players be heroes if you still keep them dependent on other major lore figures too. For example, Thrall has done a lot to help fight our battles for us since Cata, but what if something really bad happened to him? The players would still be heroes that could decimate some lower baddies and win some decent battles, but Blizz could have have keep losing against the more important big bads until another major lore figure would join our side again.
    Thrall is a bit of a special case, I think that the players don't really feel that there is any give-and-take going on when he intervenes. But I do think that what you are suggesting is the best way to go about things so here's to hoping that Blizz can do better with NPC interaction than they did in HFC.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    I cringe everytime they call me hero...
    Especialy orc bosses that always sound like they are vomiting out the word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    We've killed Arthas, Deathwing, Cho'gall, Lei Shen, and countless others. We're kinda sorta past the 'no-name adventurer' point.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the people who are mad about that should look for pride and accomplishment in areas of their lives that actually matter. Like their career, education, children, relationships, etc.
    So feeling proud of yourself because you beat a game is bad? People take pride in their hobbies, people take pride when they beat an opposing team in a sport even if it is their hobby...........just because people want to take pride in accomplishments in a video game doesn't mean they don't take pride in their kids, education, relationships or job............get off your high horse.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    No it isn't. Only those who cleared the last boss on mythic when content is current should be called heroes. All others are to be called peons/peasants.

I personally want to keep players being 'footman' and let NPCs to lead stories, since they are 'unique' and 'real' comparing with millions of players. However, many of my friends who do not care much about the lore feel good when they are called as heroes/ legendary

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    I absolutely loathe it but there is no helping it at this point, it's been this way since WotlK at the very least.
    It's been that way since Vanilla. The core idea of WoW was that (we) the players were to be the iconic hero units depicted in the original RTSs. Their goal was always to make the player the hero. It's why raids were an thing and we overcame such dire odds, even way-back-when in vanilla. We have always been the hero of the story, the mechanics of telling that story have only gotten better.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Being a high ranking commander during Wod was a good compromise. I know many want to be a nobody, but there are also those who want to see some progress after taking down so many villains.
    Now we are basically a veteran, a captain unit commanding our forces.

But turning us into the main hero just seems awkward. If everyone is a the main hero, no one is.

Deleted
    They are preparing us to beat Sargeras.
    And to beat Sargeras we need to be heroes with legendary weapons.

At least that's my theory ^_^

It's not a great idea no, neither is allowing every single paladin to have an Ashbringer, or every single Shaman to have a Doomhammer. Although I suppose people don't use the twinblades because a level 90 grey dagger hits harder... I think it's about how far they're willing to bend the lore.

I just can't wait for the post legion expansion where we all jump off yet another airship and are given a weapon more powerful by an inconsequential NPC. "Yeah this ashbringer is cool and all but look "Mr Smite's Meathammer" has 400 more DPS so I'll just store it in my bank now"

Last quote in my signature sums up how I feel with being called a hero, lore wise.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

The way I understand it is this.

In Warcraft lore, there is a "group of heroes". Classes nondescript. They save the world. We role play not necessarily as the class we play, but rather collectively as an individual hero in a group of heroes.

LFR makes it a little more complicated, but a close knit guild is basically the group of heroes.

Every real life LFR group or guild is technically the same iteration of that in-universe group of heroes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with it personally. I just view it as no other players exist and I'm the fucking man.

But I'd like it either way. I see the draw and appeal of both sides.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Yes of course it is

I can roleplay enough to ignore the guy next to me with ashbringer and just enjoy the fact my toon is a hero who has done amazing heroic deeds that only he has done.

Real life is shitty enough so i enjoy the fact i can be this hero in this amazing world and yes i can blank out the fact some level 100 nub just facerolled the lich king.

Its all about imagination something us old uns had to use before the days of mmos.

It is. Know why? When I'm playing WoW, the hero status of all other players vanishes. My character is "The hero" whose done everything, and is the main character of the WoW story. Other players? Randoms walking around a city, or mercenary adventurers that help me in dungeons.

To think otherwise is, IMO, kind of stupid.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

It could be no other way if you go by what we have achieved. You could not be an "adventurer" who has killed LK,DW,Illidan,Old Gods and plenty more. Those things naturally demand recognitions. The title of Archdruid is something my druid should have been given long ago.