Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Tamir Rice was an awful person?
    You're right, Rice is an exception to this rule. I find it odd that he wasn't more of a focal point than trash like Gray and Robinson.
    Also as said essentially all drugs. None of this justifies the rough ride that resulted in his death.
    Essentially all drugs, other than the multiple assaults and a burglary.

As ruled in court and as near as I can tell from evidence, his death was accidental. His violent, criminal, degenerate history certainly does provide good evidence that his arrest was legitimate. A good way to avoid these sorts of altercations would be to stop robbing people and selling crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Unfortunately because police/court corruption is a thing. When a previously healthy human male was placed in that van, then removed as a dead human male an hour later(?), yet no one is held responsible, people will question.

He didn't just "end up dead" he was in police custody when it happened. This focus of the case isn't "was Gray a scumbag or not", it's "did the police kill someone"
    What matters, all that matters, is whether the prosecutors can prove that he is dead as a result of criminal acts of the defendant. Res ipsa loquitur isn't a basis for a criminal conviction, especially when the thing does not, in fact, speak for itself.

The cops are being acquitted because of the factual insufficiency of the evidence against them, despite one should say, some very fast and loose handling of discovery by Mosby's office.

Unfortunately because police/court corruption is a thing. When a previously healthy human male was placed in that van, then removed as a dead human male an hour later(?), yet no one is held responsible, people will question.

He didn't just "end up dead" he was in police custody when it happened. This focus of the case isn't "was Gray a scumbag or not", it's "did the police kill someone"
    To hold someone accountable, you kind of need to be able to identify who and what they did to get a conviction in our court system. I thought going in that perhaps the DA actually had some evidence to show the driver was responsible and did something to cause Gray's injuries but clearly they didn't. You dont get to send some to prison simply on the theory that someone should be accountable. This isn't isolated to just police. It can be a similar problem for child abuse where multiple people have care and custody of a child(infant/toddler) who has injuries and doctors are unsure of time or when injuries were inflicted. There are also plenty of murderers and rapists walking our streets due to lack or evidence and/or uncooperative witnesses/victims.

As near as I can tell, there just isn't any real evidence of intent. The worst one could say was that the officers involved were negligent, but Mosby overplayed her hand substantially. With the charges as they were, it's not terribly difficult for a defense to argue that there are many plausible scenarios other than intent to injure. This, obviously, raised reasonable doubt in this case.

How exactly did you make the leap to "even if YOU like drugs" ??
    I didn't mean "even if Themius likes drugs" ... as in anyone that smokes weed for instance. Just smoking it is different than say, selling heroin to random people.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, didn't he have health issues?

Really, when Mosby made her press appearance saying "I have heard your calls for 'no justice, no peace'" -- a syntactically dubious proposition on its own -- it was clear this wasn't a serious prosecutor with a serious case. It was an audition for an eventually congressional bid to replace Lewis or mayoral bid to replace Mayor "Room to Destroy". May come up empty with both since she'll be reduced to implying sitting judges are racist or concepts like presumption of innocence and burden of proof are racist, or just conceding she had bupkus. The public opinion she was acting on boils down to "they are guilty, because I used to watch 'The Wire'".

Gotta love the anti cop crowd. "It's not the verdict I want so justice wasn't served."
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I'd do you the favor, but linking to LMGTFY is infraction-worthy, and acting like a dumbass demanding proof of something that's already been proven isn't.
    I think calling people dumbasses is infraction worthy as well. You know what's not infraction worthy, though? Actually making your own argument, so I guess you're safe on that account.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    I think calling people dumbasses is infraction worthy as well. You know what's not infraction worthy, though? Actually making your own argument, so I guess you're safe on that account.
    next he's going to tell you that the burden of proof is on you.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    next he's going to tell you that the burden of proof is on you.
    If he does, that will be its own teaching tool to explain confusion over why the cops are getting acquitted.

Deleted
    Good, this criminal endorsing cop hate phenomenom needs to end.

Wait, didn't he have health issues?

Not 3 broken vertebrae and a severed spine health issues.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yes. BLM talks a hell of a game when it comes to justice, but all they really seem to mean is "give me what I want!" rather than any meaningful use of the term.

- - - Updated - - -

As near as I can tell, the local politicians and legal machinery of Baltimore were enthusiastic about convicting these officers. That they were unable to do so despite in that environment strongly suggests that there just isn't any real evidence of wrongdoing.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like 2015 was a banner year for Mr. Gray's career as he escalated into burglary, breaking shit, and attacking people. I somehow doubt that the times he got caught are the only times he was engaged in these activities. Also worth a mention is that these aren't drug charges in the sense of having a joint he planned to smoke - this is distribution of hard drugs in a city that's ravaged by drugs and gangs. So yeah, drugs actually matter here.

Isn't it weird that we can't seem to find any poster-children for BLM that aren't just awful people?
    Free my N**A trey, he didn't do shit.

Me: Nah, let his ass rot.

Not 3 broken vertebrae and a severed spine health issues.
    Okay, so he's not "healthy" then...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Okay, so he's not "healthy" then...
    Clearly it was the smoking that killed him....

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Good, this criminal endorsing cop hate phenomenom needs to end.
    That isnt what its about. Someone died in the custody of the police, and they should be held responsible. Simple as that.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

He wasn't healthy...

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Clearly it was the smoking that killed him....
    Its just dishonest to imply he was perfectly healthy, when his condition before being arrested likely made things worse.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    That isnt what its about. Someone died in the custody of the police, and they should be held responsible. Simple as that.
    No. They should have their day in court to determine if it was anything that was their doing. We had that and they were proven not guilty.

You do not get to drown them till they confess...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Its just dishonest to imply he was perfectly healthy, when his condition before being arrested likely made things worse.
    Didn't the other guy in the van say that Freddy was throwing himself around in the back of the van?

#IStandWithGinaCarano