Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Top Gear New Presenter is....

Chris Evans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464

Oh well, that is the end of Top Gear for me. Can't stand the moron...

I thought James May and Richard Hammond are done. Every rumor I see is them with Jeremy Clarkson looking for another media avenue.

Never watched the show for the cars and i dont know this new fella .... will watch and judge. time will tell if its still fun.

I can't stand Chris Evans, I have nothing against him personally I just don't find him entertaining.. From the legend that is Jeremy Clarkson to Chris Evans, yeah but no thanks.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I thought James May and Richard Hammond are done. Every rumor I see is them with Jeremy Clarkson looking for another media avenue.
    They are done, the three of them are in talks with netflix supposedly to make a show like Top Gear through them. The article even mentions the other 2 aren't coming back

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I got all excited.

Then saw that it was a different Chris Evans.

I'm amazed at the loyalty of May and Hammond. I know from BBC America they have other shows they do and more that does not even air in the U.S. To leave all that to follow Clarkson is true loyalty or stupidity.

10+ Year Old Account
    The image alone on that link gives me a terrible first impression, he looks like your typical douche host.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post

I got all excited.

Then saw that it was a different Chris Evans.
    My train of thought as well XD
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

They are done. The rumors you're seeing are true and the 3 of them are rumored to be "in talks" with Netflix for a series. May and Hammond are not returning to BBC Top Gear. So far BBC Top Gear has this one presenter signed, they obviously still need to find another two before they can start shooting. At least I really hope they are planning to find another two, if the show is done only by Chris Evans it's going to bomb horribly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm amazed at the loyalty of May and Hammond. I know from BBC America they have other shows they do and more that does not even air in the U.S. To leave all that to follow Clarkson is true loyalty or stupidity.
    It could be that they are truly friends and may think that they are where they are now due to working with Clarkson and Andy Wilman (Producer)

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    The image alone on that link gives me a terrible first impression, he looks like your typical douche host.

- - - Updated - - -

My train of thought as well XD
    He really is (a douche). He's been in a few episodes as the star in a reasonably priced car and I think they did a piece on his Ferrari collection, boring as hell.

Hopefully the show will tank and they will be forced to do something, though the fact they gave him a 3year deal for the show is terrible news, I know they had to make a point with clarkson, but killing their most popular show over it was probably not the right decision of the bbc.

Quote Originally Posted by Saeran View Post
    It could be that they are truly friends and may think that they are where they are now due to working with Clarkson and Andy Wilman (Producer)
    I agree, but your friendship does not pay the bills. I'm wondering the new format with Clarkson in it. Will they have a studio audience, star in reasonably priced car, access to all the great cars and will they be located to their own testing track. Top Gear was very costly to produce.

There is no more Top Gear lol. Hammond and May didn't re-sign, it'll be Evans and whatever they can find to fill in.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    I agree, but your friendship does not pay the bills. I'm wondering the new format with Clarkson in it. Will they have a studio audience, star in reasonably priced car, access to all the great cars and will they be located to their own testing track. Top Gear was very costly to produce.
    It was also one of, if not the BBC's biggest export. It doesn't matter how much it costs to make it, the returns speak for themselves. The main money gets spent on hiring the cars, production costs and on the big specials. The studio audience pays for itself with ticket prices, and Star in a Reasonably Priced car is as much about Promotion for whatever the guest in question is doing lately as it is a feature on the show.

May and Hammond left because a) They don't really need the money, they've made a boat load off Top Gear as it is, May atleast has a lot of other shows going on, Hammond does bits on the side b) They know that with themselves, Clarkson and Andy Wilman moving off as a package they'll get snacthed by any major network with a brain. And a pragmatic c) If they stick with the show and it tanks (which it more than likely will, even with May and Hammond still onboard I couldn't see it retaining anywhere near its current popularity) and them still being associated with the show could drag there own reputations down

As for Chris Evans taking over, he knows a fair bit about cars, but he's not very Clarkson esque, and honestly, he's the only big name I can think of that would do Top Gear, no idea who they'll get into the other 2 spots.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2015-06-16 at 07:33 PM.

They are following Clarkson because he is the show, it doesn't matter if it's called Top Gear when most people tune in to watch those 3 idiots bumble about.. The money and success is with Clarkson, doesn't matter what they call the show.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    It was also one of, if not the BBC's biggest export. It doesn't matter how much it costs to make it, the returns speak for themselves. The main money gets spent on hiring the cars, production costs and on the big specials. The studio audience pays for itself with ticket prices, and Star in a Reasonably Priced car is as much about Promotion for whatever the guest in question is doing lately as it is a feature on the show.

As for Chris Evans taking over, he knows a fair bit about cars, but he's not very Clarkson esque, and honestly, he's the only big name I can think of that would do Top Gear, no idea who they'll get into the other 2 spots.
    Yes, Top Gear was very successful, no doubt. Trying to bring the same show to Netflix they need to pay this cost upfront. A big gamble to rely on say 50% of the original people to pay and watch it. I don't think Game of Thrones would survive on Netflix. I would truly say it would have never had green light, costing a reportedly $1 million for each episode.

Yes audience and star in car is not much but again you are basically copying and pasting Top Gear. Don't get me wrong I don't care if it has Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Quote Originally Posted by Saeran View Post
    Oh well, that is the end of Top Gear for me. Can't stand the moron...
    I'd forgotten quite how much I disliked him then watched the return of TFI Friday last week....well it all came flooding back

10+ Year Old Account
    They simply can't recreate the chemistry between Clarkson, Hammond and May. The show will end, it will be either boring or cringeworthy.

Off-topic: Do I write "cringeworthy" together or as a separate words? I've seen it written both ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Off-topic: Do I write "cringeworthy" together or as a separate words? I've seen it written both ways.
    One word .......