Some overclocking concerns

Hello!

A few days ago i got myself a new rig with an i5 6600k cpu, cm hyper 212 evo cpu cooler, xfx r9 390 graphics card, and gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard.

Today i attempted to overclock the cpu, following a ''noob guide'' on youtube, which said all i needed to do was change the cpu core ratio, and possibly the cpu vcore voltage, and so i did. Put in 42 on the cpu for a 4.2ghz clock speed, and voltage at 1.210. After doing this i went into CPUID HWMonitor to check things out. What i am wondering about is the voltages. The CPU Vcore voltage seems close enough to what i put into the bios, however the voltage tab for the processor does not. The VID seems to fluctuate quite a bit, going up to roughly 1.35v under heavy load, which is quite far above what i set it to. Is this something to be concerned about, did i do something wrong, or does the VID reading not matter?

I included a screenshot of cpuid, the temps are very low, i think the highest ive seen a core peak at is 37C.

http://imgur.com/QdlfQj9

Thanks in advance!

CPUID HWMONITOR doesnt work that well with Skylake so use a different program firstly.

Cant be bothered to go much into it but:

Secondly there are more settings, as you said "a noob guide" doesnt really include those settings, usually its not an issue since even the 1.35V is safe, but did you run a stress test mostly to check the temps and if it actually uses that voltage? It will be easy to tell really, google temperatures, compare voltage-->temp seen by others, use brain etc.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-06-24 at 11:33 PM.

After a bit of googling around, i have learned that VID voltage is nothing to be concerned about. But now a second issue has arised. I have set a manual cpu vcore voltage of 1.2. The issue is that this is pretty much constant, so the voltage stays between 1.13 and 1.2, and does not drop down when my system is idling as it did with the cpu vcore set at auto. I have the windows power plan set to ''balanced'', and enabled all the c states stating that the voltage should drop as the load on the cpu drops.

I keep reading that ''offset mode'' and ''adaptive mode'' should fix this, but have not been able to find any such mode in the BIOS. Any further help would be much appreciated!

Its in there somewhere, keep looking. TBH if i was you id set bios back to default and just change the multiplier, most boards ship with some sort of offset mode enabled by default (my biostar was called spec voltage).

The problem is that for some reason my cpu seems to eat up more power than it needs. By setting cpu vcore to ''normal'' (the system default puts it at 1.245v), during a stresstest it reached 1.31v with a 42x multiplier which also runs smoothly at 1.2v. Using the ''normal'' option enabled the use of ''Dynamic vcore (DVID)'', an otherwise greyed out option, in which i put in 0.35v which should to my understanding reduce the max voltage the cpu can use, which did not seem to happen given the 1.31v situation. The temperature with 1.2v maxed at 51C during an intel burn test, whereas with cpu vcore on ''normal'' it reached 65C with the same exact multiplier.

Sounds like you need an offset if bios defaults going over 1.3v, here is the thread for your board on overclock .net:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1571741/g...aming-editions

I will give that a read, thank you very much!