Looking for a computer build to run legion max fps $1250 US to spend.

Hello Computer Forum,

I am looking for advice for a build that will get me max FPS in legion. I am also reading it is not optimized in beta as of yet so not sure what to think or get. I have a budget up to about 1250 us dollars. Looking for suggestions. No need for a monitor or keyboard or mouse. More or less just streaming and playing WOW.

Thank you in advance all.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($58.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.95 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($14.89 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Rx 480 ($230.00)
    Other: Windows 10
    Total: $1123.66
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-24 23:17 EDT-0400

AMD video card is coming out the 29th, put 230.00 as prices will probably be a little inflated. Also went with i7 over i5 for streaming purposes.

6700k is overkill unless you are doing heavy multi tasking/rendering. Also that motherboard never heard of it.

6700k is worth it for streaming and future proofness, games are actually being coded nowadays to take advantage of more cores. The board is the best value in asus's lineup currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    6700k is worth it for streaming and future proofness, games are actually being coded nowadays to take advantage of more cores. The board is the best value in asus's lineup currently.
    The 6700k really isn't worth it unless you are video rendering I can stream just fine without pushing my PC very hard. And you aren't going to run legion on ultra unless you spend the money for a 1080 and overclock it.

Update: Or heavy productivity tasks like multitasking across 3 monitors.
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-25 at 04:08 AM.

Ya, you probably shouldnt be posting in this section of this forum if you have no idea what you are talking about it confuses the people actually looking for good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ya, you probably shouldnt be posting in this section of this forum if you have no idea what you are talking about it confuses the people actually looking for good advice.
    I know exactly what I'm talking about it's fairly common knowledge that the 6700k is overkill for gaming and even light streaming. I own one I should know I can go stream and give you my cpu useage if you would really like.

This will be my last post directed at you:

1. We have no idea how he uses his PC, there are a ton of scenarios where an i7 can be useful and with his budget the i7 fits in there nicely.
    2. Stating you need not only a gtx 1080 (a 700 dollar graphics card) but it needs to be overclocked to max out a 12 year old game that still has code that old shows your lack of knowledge in regards to topics covered on this forum.

"More or less just streaming and playing WOW." That's how he is using his computer.

http://i.imgur.com/1kKUkMf.jpg with a 970 no players in sight no animations going on no render scale to 200% only msaa x8 when I add the rest of the anti aliasing and render scale I hit about 10 fps tops. You'll get a extremly unstable 60 with a 1080.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/1kKUkMf.jpg with a 970 no players in sight no animations going on no render scale to 200% only msaa x8 when I add the rest of the anti aliasing and render scale I hit about 10 fps tops. You'll get a extremly unstable 60 with a 1080.
    Using bad settings doesn't mean you need more power. A 960 can pretty much max out wow easily. Heck, a 950 does a pretty good job of it. This topic has been beaten to death so many times.

That said, an i7 does help with streaming, even if an i5 -can- do it. With that budget, it would make streaming better/easier with higher rates and smoothness.

(Also moving this to build subforum)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Using bad settings doesn't mean you need more power. A 960 can pretty much max out wow easily. Heck, a 950 does a pretty good job of it. This topic has been beaten to death so many times.

That said, an i7 does help with streaming, even if an i5 -can- do it. With that budget, it would make streaming better/easier with higher rates and smoothness.

(Also moving this to build subforum)
    I was refering to maxing it out, yes you can run it fine on a 960. I was specificly talking maxing it out(in legion). And true an I7 would help with streaming in some cases. But I so far haven't been able to max my I7 out unless i'm rendering videos. Not streaming and or gaming. Just personally using a 6700k I've never seen the benefit with day/day use and or streaming, and I multitask quite alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    The 6700k really isn't worth it unless you are video rendering I can stream just fine without pushing my PC very hard. And you aren't going to run legion on ultra unless you spend the money for a 1080 and overclock it.

Update: Or heavy productivity tasks like multitasking across 3 monitors.
    Mine runs on Ultra with a 970. Still sitting around 90fps too
    I remember you... In the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Teranzil View Post
    Mine runs on Ultra with a 970. Still sitting around 90fps too
    Same if you get rid of AA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is AA really worth the fps hit? I use CMAA and it only reduces my fps by a single digit number, though I havent tested it everywhere.

I get around 75-150 fps depending on where I am, but I still get drops to the high 40s in my garrison/Warspear or the high 20s by the lava near the horde garrison. Pc in my sig.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't see you post it, so I'd also add the main question to answer is what resolution you're planning to play at. There's a pretty massive difference in what power you need depending if you're planning to run 1080, 1440, or 4k. Wow is a terrible game to use as a measuring stick to aim for since it's engine at it's core is very old and poorly optimized still. But I recently got an Nvidia GTX 1070 and I have an i5-4670k, and everything maxxed to the hilt in wow I get over 80 fps constantly at 1080. So based on that, if you're planning to not run higher than 1080 (or probably even higher than 1440) some of what's been listed is probably a bit overkill. Also, keep in mind the AMD 480 is expected to be a good 20-25% slower than the 1070, so there is a trade-off there. Nothing against AMD, it's just oc'd 480 is still looking to be 20-25% slower than an oc'd 1070, or non-oc'd to non-oc'd comparison. I'd personally suggest saving a bit on the cpu since a 6700k is only marginally faster than some quite cheaper cpus, and go with a better video card (unless the 480 turns out to be much faster than expected). Having owned an AMD 390x that I sold a few weeks ago, and the 480 rumored to be about the same speed...I can confirm it definitely could not do 1080p maxxed at 40 fps+ consistently. I had to turn most games down to high quality to be smooth, and even then it dipped into the 30's in plenty of games.

To OP: Threw this together. The gigabyte 1070 link. Also get windows from kinguin it's cheaper Link if you need it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($131.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($75.24 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 ($399.99)
    Other: Windows 10 Professional OEM Key ($29.00)
    Total: $1170.66
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-25 04:25 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-06-25 at 08:29 AM.

Thank you for all the responses everyone! This is great, I needed a starting place and you guys have provided me something to start with much appreciated! With the Beta not being optimized would you still go with some of these parts? I just want to make sure I run WoW and get the best from it as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickveeee View Post
    Thank you for all the responses everyone! This is great, I needed a starting place and you guys have provided me something to start with much appreciated! With the Beta not being optimized would you still go with some of these parts? I just want to make sure I run WoW and get the best from it as I can.
    I would go ahead and get the 6700k if you really plan to stream alot. And I'd stick with the RX480 unless you want to spend that extra money for the 1070.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you have 2 options. The 480 and a 6700k, or a 1070 and a 6600k. Personally I'd go with the 1070 build but if you truly only play wow the 6700 would probably be better.