Semi hits tanker truck loaded with 3,000 gallons of liquid hydrogen.

So yeah this happened near me. Holy fuck I think the last thing I would ever want to hit in a car is a truck carrying all that liquid hydrogen. They said it melted the front end of the truck. They're still cleaning it up. 4 vehicles total in the accident and 1 person (the guy driving the truck that hit the tanker) dead.

FULTON COUNTY, OH (WTOL) -
    The westbound lanes of the Ohio Turnpike have reopened, eastbound remain closed Friday in Fulton County after multiple crashes and a commercial vehicle fire Thursday night.

Brian Newbacher, spokesman for the Ohio Turnpike, said they hope to have one eastbound lane open by midnight Friday.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol says traffic first halted around 8:15 p.m. due to a minor crash involving three semi trucks near mile marker 33.8. Another crash occurred not long after, near mile maker 32, when a semi crashed into three others, one of which was a tanker truck carrying 3,000 gallons of liquid Hydrogen. The driver of the tanker truck sustained only minor injuries. The driver of the semi, however, died on impact. The names of those involved have not yet been released.

The crash did cause the tanker to catch fire. At one point, officials said they were evacuating a one-mile radius around the crash site due to fears of a possible explosion, but no homes or vehicles were ever evacuated. Officials continue to ask people to stay away from the area.
    http://www.wtol.com/story/32296601/c...-fulton-county
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

You must go to the crash site and take pictures! FOR THE INTERNET!

Deleted
    funnily enough the energy density per volume of gasoline is higher then that of liquid hydrogen, so you'd be worse of crashing into a regular tanker truck. hydrogen probably explodes easier though since it turns into a gas when depressurized.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-06-25 at 02:11 AM.

Wouldn't liquid hydrogen be really really cold?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    yes it boils at like -423F/-253C

This is the kind of shit Michael Bay pleasures himself to every morning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Not as much when under huge pressure surrounded by metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    funnily enough the energy density per volume of gasoline is higher then that of liquid hydrogen, so you'd be worse of crashing into a regular tanker truck. hydrogen probably explodes easier though since it turns into a gas when depressurized.
    Would be crazy if a truck filled with chlorine trifluoride got involved in an accident like this.

" a spill of 900 kg of chlorine trifluoride burned through 30 cm of concrete and 90 cm of gravel beneath."

All I can think of is Terminator 2
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    *dons fedora*

Ahem. That was liquid nitrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    *dons fedora*

Ahem. That was liquid nitrogen.
    haha, after not seeing it in near 8 years, have to forgive the memory, =)
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    *sigh* why do you people do this to me...

I thought it was liquid nitrogen that was super cold though? Hydrogen is like ultra-volatile, right?

What a freak show. Even the authorities weren't sure whether they should evacuate the area or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    Would be crazy if a truck filled with chlorine trifluoride got involved in an accident like this.

" a spill of 900 kg of chlorine trifluoride burned through 30 cm of concrete and 90 cm of gravel beneath."
    I do rather like the line about how it is impossible to extinguish the fires caused by CF3, and any attempt to will likely cause a massive explosion.