Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Eh, i'd argue that any decent gym would be able to give him a more comprehensive fitness plan than most folks on this forum.

Especially since he'll probably give them more information than "I want to muscles for ma missus".

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Eh, i'd argue that any decent gym would be able to give him a more comprehensive fitness plan than most folks on this forum.

Especially since he'll probably give them more information than "I want to muscles for ma missus".
    You guys must have better gyms.
    The fitness instructors that I've seen at gyms, just bother the women trying to work out.

You ask them for advice and you're greeted with some scripted bro science bollocks.

"Hi, was wondering you could help me with by dead lift form?"

"Sure buddy <proceeds to walk over to the squat rack>".

Deleted
    Thats why I said a proper gym, and not a fitness centre. Big difference there.

Thats why I said a proper gym, and not a fitness centre. Big difference there.
    It is a proper gym. Equipment wise it has everything.
    The staff are just fecking useless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davos Seaworth View Post
    It is a proper gym. Equipment wise it has everything.
    The staff are just fecking useless.
    Equipment doesn't mean a lot, my local Sam Jones has more equipment than the gym that I go to, it's about the mentality of the staff.

I feel like I should put "proper" in quotation marks, because I mean even fitness centres are called gyms, but its about finding one with actual competent people, and most of the ones that i've found like that are the smaller gyms rather than the franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    Meal timing like taking casein before bed is such a minor difference, like 1% difference or something. The important is to get your protein throughout the day. No need to flood beginners with all this "take this then, and this now, this before bed" etc.

Numbers won't really be different for every person, it depends which type of training you do. Getting a personal trainer is usually a waste of money, since the internet has so much information about fitness.
    He is trying to gain a lot of muscle. Personally I think gaining that much will be very difficult and he might really need that 1%. He is trying to go from 110 to 180-200 ish, I believe.
    Although the internet does have a lot of great fitness info, there is also a lot of bad info out there. Since the op doesn't know much about it, how is he going to separate the good from the bad? Also, since he is inexperienced- he might need someone to check his form on exercises, bad form can lead to bad injuries. He might want to do at least one session with a trainer.

*shrugs*
    Gaining muscle takes time. Rushing the process, maybe trying to do some "shortcuts" is always bad.

As I put it in another thread:

You'll have to start off slow. You need to build up the connective tissue as well as the muscle. I remember all too well jogging with weights and thinking my 1.5lbs on each forearm was too little. I'd only been doing that for a little over a year. So I threw on 5lbs on each arm...and got shin splints so bad I had to take a year off. Limping for that whole time wasn't fun.

Now, that being said, you won't need much. Just make sure you take a daily multi-vitamin, keep to a diet that includes certain lean meats, (chicken breast and salmon are excellent choices for protein. Although depending on where you are, the salmon might be pricey.) Carbs are also important. (bread, rice etc, will keep your energy up when you need it) If you feel the need for additional protein, there are plenty of choices involving whey protein. Not much for beef protein. neither is better than the other I don't think. But I do mix things up taking beef one day then whey the next. My bro once told me that if I was ever serious to take 120-150 grams a day. (But I refuse to get that crazy)

Some people sometimes suggest going to bed hungry to keep the fat off. I don't. (I remember poorer times, and I hated that empty feeling) I eat an apple or some fruit before snoozing. And I try to make it 8 hours of sleep. (That's when your body rests and rebuilds)

A different muscle group every day. And I always take one day completely off for full relaxation and to give myself a treat.

Disclaimer: This isn't for everyone. It's just how I do things. I used to weigh 165-170 around 15 years ago. I'm nearing the 200 range and it's all muscle. I'm pretty sure someone has a better workout regimen as I'm 50 years old and I'm getting a little tuckered out these days. And as always, have a chat with your doctor before going crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Equipment doesn't mean a lot, my local Sam Jones has more equipment than the gym that I go to, it's about the mentality of the staff.

I feel like I should put "proper" in quotation marks, because I mean even fitness centres are called gyms, but its about finding one with actual competent people, and most of the ones that i've found like that are the smaller gyms rather than the franchises.
    Yep. We have a plethora of different gyms, and the most popular one is the cheapest one. They have pretty much all the equipment, great staff but the only thing I absolutely miss is a rowing machine. That was my lovechild in the previous gym I went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Hmm around 180-200 i guess, enough so i have muscle but not fat
    Then you're gonna want to eat 18 to 20 pounds of protein a day and fitting that all into a caloric amount that won't end up in you getting fat. Good food for this is chicken, egg whites, and edamame (i like to get dried and salted edamame as a snack). Once you hit your protein goals, you can fill it in with other stuff.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    count your calories, weigh yourself daily, find the point where you gain a small increment in weight, a base calc would be Lean bodyweight in LBSx13xactivity modifiers (anywhere from x1.0 for sedentary to x1.25 for a job such as a waiter)

Protein intake: Lean bodymass in lbs is a great place to start, although I tend to go 1.2x lean body mass for ensuring there is ample.

Carbs and fats (I really wouldn't worry too much about the split of this aslong as your kcal is consistent and your protein intake consistent) Do ensure a good portion of fruits and veg a day (small amount with each meal)

Workouts: squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, cleans, snatches, rows, pullups, benchpress stick pretty much to these being your core workout. do 2-3 of these a day, work to a heavy set of anywhere from 2-5 reps each workout, then drop slightly lower than your heavy set for working volume, (-10%) and hit the same sort of rep scheme for a few sets. (personally, if I was to work to something like 240kg for 3 on squat for a heavy workout, I would then drop back down to around 220-215 for 3x3) or lets say I did 220x5 as my heavy for a day, I would then go 200 for 5x3-5 sets

Its about finding a heavy tester weight to keep you growing, then volumes to ensure the growth and work. its very hard to scale newbie gains well, so i find a "daily ish max" a good way to train, work up to a comfy but testing max of a varying rep scheme, anywhere 2-5 being a good point imo, then drop a bit of weight and do some reps and sets that are a little lighter but more volume (actual weight shifted per workout)

If you don't know how to do the key movements, I would suggest finding a coach to run you through the basics for a while first. Or even find a local "spit and sawdust gym" that isn't know for local old man roiders. find an actual place athletes train at, not washed up men, and listen/watch/ask what they do. Most guys who are really into training will be very happy to help

- - - Updated - - -

agree, Find a local athlete gym, thats a proper gym, most fitness instructor sites are shite, and have some great equipment, truth be told, I would rather go to a gym that is 50% squat racks, the rest is bars, plates, dumbells, kettle bells etc, other more free weight type stuff, less fixed shitty machines, fixed range or plate loaded machines in general are dogcrap

Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat, Pullups, Push Ups
    Little weight, high repetition until you know how to do the exercises properly.
    Ten minutes cardio before every workout.
    Two times a week for the first month.

Eat real food and drink water.

And use a goddamn towel in the gym.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

Lift some weights, eat some food and see if it works. I currently work out every day though, push ups, pull ups, crunches/leg raises and wall squats etc. I do it in spare time like while making food, waiting for kettle to boil or waiting for computer to do something, rather than setting aside a workout time, I just workout whenever I can fit in daily.

If you're just starting don't work out everyday though, you will ruin yourself. Takes maybe a few months to get to the point where you can do that without your body just crippling the next day.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-07-01 at 11:10 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Alright thanks all, i'll use your advice, already started working out abit. I'm so out of shape, used to be able to lift for about 30m but now only 10m >.>
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Alright thanks all, i'll use your advice, already started working out abit. I'm so out of shape, used to be able to lift for about 30m but now only 10m >.>
    Start small and work your way up, its a marathon not a sprint.

One of the biggest mistakes people make, especially older folks/people who used to be way more physically active, is that they start an exercise regime that is too hard for there body to handle, so after the first workout they mess themselves up, and after that they lose motivation.

Its all babysteps.

Deleted
    Eat well
    Workout
    Sleep a lot
    Repeat