Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I have just "solved" the issue since i don't play much anymore. Given time constraints, i have not enough of it to try everything i would like.

Also, i just don't buy new games anymore. There are a couple of franchises i follow, but then i leave everything to the judgement of time. If a game is really good, it's still good after years, and i can also buy the eventual GOTY edition usually at a lower price.

This way i may have a small-ish library, but of quality and i know i'm playing something really good.

Anyway, if gaming bores you, best best is to just stop it and do something else.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    The big names were less afraid to explore and invest in new ideas, sure, especially when it comes to exclusives, but I don't think overall there's that MUCH difference on a broad scale, and I certainly think it's something hard to measure.
    >Games with crippling bugs or constant errors i experienced on the gamecube and ps2: 0
    >Games with crippling bugs or constant errors i experienced on the PS4 and PC in current gen: Every single one labeled as "AAA"

People have a bad habit of acclimating and settling to any standards with games but the idea of things like assassins creed unity being green lit as the release build 10 or 15 years ago was unthinkable. Falling through the world, character models exploding into lovecraftian horrors that spider around like nothings wrong, rampant save corruptions or broken points where progression failed so you need to restart is something we should have left behind as a common occurrence with the NES, yet the modern devs in the west particularly try to constantly shit out yearly iterations with barely any QA time and shrug off broken products because rubes will buy the season passes day one to recoup the potential losses.

The difference is in quality control and it is pretty damning when you look for a "AAA" release in the last year that wasnt riddled with bugs or problems and find nothing.

Im kind of in the same boat as you. As of late I get bored fast with many games these days. I recently bought dark souls 2 on ps store while it was on sale and now Im asking myself why I never played dark souls before since I've been having fun with it

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Try a very different genre. It worked for me. Now I'm a fan of visual novels. Phoenix Wright and 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors changed my life in quite a way.

I felt the same for quite a while undtil Witcher 3.

Also, You can try many great indie games. Many have much better quality than most of the AAA games.

Indie from 2016 + Early access ones releasing this year:
    Oxenfree
    Darkest Dungeon
    The Witness
    Lost Castle
    Firewatch
    Unravel
    Dex
    The Flame in the Flood
    Factorio
    Stardew Valley
    Block'hood
    Generic Space Shooter
    Don't Starve: Shipwrecked
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Enter the Gungeon
    The Banner Saga 2
    Don't Starve Together
    Duelyst
    Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
    Offworld Trading Company
    Hyposphere
    Blueprint Tycoon
    The Firefly Diary
    Salt and Sanctuary
    The Way
    Shoppe Keep
    Chronicle: Runescape Legends
    35MM
    Hard Reset: Redux
    Planet Centauri
    SteamWorld Heist
    The Solus Project
    Crea
    Drawful 2
    VA-11 HALL-A
    Breached
    Inside
    We Happy Few
    RimWorld
    Starbound
    Faeria
    Subnautica
    Black The Fall
    Slime Rancher
    Parkitect
    Pavilon
    Hollow Knight

Indie from 2015-2003:
    60 Seconds!
    Absolute Drift
    Alien Breed: Impact
    Alien Breed 2: Assault
    Alien Breed 3: Descent
    Alien Shooter
    Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded
    Alien Spidy
    Armello
    Axiom Verge
    Bastion
    Big Pharma
    Black Mesa (Half-Life remaste)
    Broforce
    Broken Age
    Castle Crashers
    Child of Light
    Crimsonland
    Destination Sol
    Distance
    Don't Starve
    Downwell
    Empire TV Tycoon
    Eats
    Eets Munchies
    Feist
    FTL: Faster Than Light
    Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
    Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
    Gunpoint
    Hand of Fate
    Hotline Miami
    Human Resource Machine
    Invisible, Inc.
    Jotun
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Kingdom
    Last Inua
    Limbo
    Little Inferno
    Magicka
    Magicka 2
    Mark of the Ninja
    Mini Metro
    Nidhogg
    NightSky
    Nihilumbra
    Nova-111
    OreLight
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Pixel Piracy
    Platypus
    Prison Architect
    Race The Sun
    Rogue Legacy
    Ronin
    RUNNING WITH RIFLES
    Shank
    ShellShock Live
    Sheltered
    Sproggiwood
    Super Meat Boy
    Terraria
    The Banner Saga
    The Long Dark
    The Marvellous Miss Take
    The Swindle
    This War of Mine
    Torchlight
    Torchlight II
    Transistor
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    Velocity 2X
    Viscera Cleanup Detail
    Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior
    Volume
    World of Goo

+ many many more
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-06-27 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    modern devs in the west particularly try to constantly shit out yearly iterations with barely any QA time and shrug off broken products because rubes will buy the season passes day one to recoup the potential losses.
    I defenitely agree, especially with the pushes for yearly releases with very little changes/innovation. But that's some AAA developers, not all. Beteshda, CD Projekt, maybe even (dare I say) Blizzard, are examples of AAA developers who for the most part still take their time instead of rushing products for the sake of faster sales.

I'm not really that knowledgeable to know or have any sources wether the QA time is considerably different nowadays (I would guess the biggest difference is nowadays it relies a lot more on fans testing through early access, closed/open betas, etc). But I do know games like the ones you mention are much more complex than Gamecube/ps2 games.

And I'm sure priorities are part of the problem, one of the most evident most likely being spending too much time and resources on graphics instead of gameplay and pollish. But it certainly isn't "just" because of that. Today's consoles/pcs are different, and the gamesystems and engines are much more complex and have a lot more functionality, it just leaves a lot more room for unexpected things to happen, especially in sandbox/open-world games which are a lot more common nowadays.

Not saying it isn't a problem especially for some companies, just that I don't think that every AAA company is an entity of evil and greed trying to trick us into buying something just for the money. Also it's not the only and probably not the biggest problem in the industry today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I do replay a lot of games every now and then. I like to try something new, but I also like to come back to my favorite games to play through them once again. It is perfectly normal. I wouldn't try to "solve" it and just enjoy what you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny, as soon as I made this thread, I discovered King's Quest which I am loving. That's the problem with PC games, there's so many of them that finding those diamonds in the rough is a real chore.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Play games with friends.
    Um...
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2016-06-27 at 08:39 PM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    Um...
    Yes? Um... What?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yes? Um... What?
    I have no friends to play games with.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

A. Look to the smaller, indie-ish developers. That's where the most innovation will come from at this point.
    B. Do other stuff. Went over to a friend's house who at first wanted to play some games via LAN, but instead we ended up shooting hoops and later a few games of billiards.

I find the new releases these days tend to be utter shit.

They look good, but the gameplay and story are seriously lacking. It's not just you.

The Witcher was god awful, but people enjoyed it. It felt baron and extremely basic. Combat was shit and not fun. Character movement was terrible.
    Etc, etc.

Titles these days that are truly to "get excitable" over are a rarity.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    I have no friends to play games with.
    Talk to people in your WoW guilds breh.

Everyone I play games with are people I met on WoW, no one I know IRL even plays video games.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    I find the new releases these days tend to be utter shit.

They look good, but the gameplay and story are seriously lacking. It's not just you.

The Witcher was god awful, but people enjoyed it. It felt baron and extremely basic. Combat was shit and not fun. Character movement was terrible.
    Etc, etc.

Titles these days that are truly to "get excitable" over are a rarity.
    I agree and I feel the same about Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (blasphemy I know) too. I really didn't get the appeal those games for all of their talk.

From the OP's description, I think it's the deep engaging story that's missing from most. I will tell you one game that really surprised me was Dying Light. I thought it was just another zombie game, and if you get into (the first hour or so like most is a bit slow and tutorial) you realize there is a great story there mixed with action. I went back recently and played Far Cry 3 and that was amazing as well too if you didn't do that one. 2 games with good stories combined with good action like GTA 5. The Division...eh, somewhere in-between. We'll see how much they listen to feedback and patch it. It's really close to being great, it's just a touch short right now. Tales From the Borderlands was amazing too if you can adjust to that different type of game.

As far as coming soon, looking forward to Dishonored 2, Mafia 3, and the new Destiny expansion. They are all in that action with some story/depth genre. Going back and playing the earlier series of any of those you missed while waiting isn't a horrible idea. Or just break from games entirely for a few months and come back.

One side note too, Legion is looking really darned good as well. I got in the beta a while back am really liking it in terms of increased lore and immersion. It's not perfect, but Blizz has actually been listening to feedback and I'm quite excited for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well firstly I would say that you should find some other things to capture your attention. Summer is my relaxation time. When I'm not going out or chilling with friends, I try to clear out my backlog and find new anime and TV shows to watch.

In terms of games, this summer I went back and played through Jak and Daxter and Jak 2 and platinumed them. I've beaten those games probably 5 times each by now but I played them because I wanted to. I don't know about everyone else, but I sometimes feel pressured to play all the latest games so I can have an opinion and talk about them. Summer is when I put that all aside and experiment with new genres or play old favorites. If nothing new excites you, then I have no doubt that there's older notable games that you've never played. As much as people give modern gaming shit, there's gems even from the mid 2000s that you probably missed.

Generally by the end of Summer I have cleansed my palate of games that I want to play and am ready to tackle new adventures as the Fall releases start trickling in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    >Games with crippling bugs or constant errors i experienced on the gamecube and ps2: 0
    I have not so fond memories of reaching a point in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time where I had saved in an area with about 1% health, no back-tracking available, no access to water to heal, and the following puzzle required a drop that dealt a smidgeon of damage. Sure, it's an Ubisoft game, but games were hardly without bugs in that era, especially on the PS2. I admit the Gamecube was very solid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    I agree and I feel the same about Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 (blasphemy I know) too. I really didn't get the appeal those games for all of their talk.
    I genuinely feel Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever made, subjectivity!
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Time to go outside man. I felt this too a few years back.
    I honestly think its a physiological condition. You simply can't find enjoyment in things you used to no matter how hard you try. Take a break from them, and a few months later they will all feel brand new again!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV