Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Nothing new excites me anymore.

For a while now, I've been having a lot of trouble finding new games to enjoy.

I'm not bored with games in general by any stretch. I'm perfectly happy to level alts in WoW, screw around in Hearthstone/Diablo 3 or replay Diablo 2/Starcraft 2/Final Fantasy 6-10/Pokemon for the hundredth time, but that's about it and I want more. Of all the games I've tried in the past year, I'm pretty sure only three actually grabbed me enough for me to finish them (Life is Strange, Grim Fandango, GTA 5).

Has anyone else found themselves in a rut like this? How did you solve it?
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2016-06-26 at 09:09 AM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Take a break from games completely for a while and do something else instead. In a month or two you can give it a go again and see if you feel differently.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the same boat. So I took up a different activity to do in my spare time. So this is my new passion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHw9BzRm7oo

Deleted
    Take a break from gaming.
    If you do something constantly over years, or in my case decades, it is normal that you lose exitement. (But besides that there sure is a lack of innovation and creativity in games)

If you have been gaming for a long time like me you feel like "you have seen it all". Games which are mostly story driven (f.e. life is strange) are often an exception because the mechanics don't matter that much. But besides that I found myself getting bored, or lets say disinterested real quick. One year gaming break was the deal for me to change that.
    Oh and sports. It's often way more fun to really relax and play if you come back from an intense workout than just sitting around gaming half of the day. At least thats how it worked for me.

Games suck right now. That's the reality of it. So I don't really think it's just you. Either way, having something else in your life that excites you is a healthy thing, and if it doesn't necessarily involves sitting in front of a computer, even better.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2016-06-26 at 09:22 AM.

Deleted
    You remember the feeling you had when something new came out when you were a kid, and that's the problem. You just know too much know and will always know that the feeling you had back then was far superior to anything you're experiencing now.
    I'm in the same boat and basically all I can tell you is - you're getting older. It sucks. I've tried many things to bring back the excitement I had for things (in general, not just video games) in the past, but it's just not there anymore. Everything I experience is a variation of something I know, and that bores me to death.

Can't do much more than what others have suggested. Take a break, try different hobbies. In my case I just gave up and accepted that 'having fun' will be the best thing I can get out of anything. I do have fun with many things. Video games, movies, TV series, board games with friends. But that level of excitement from when I was young cannot be reached anymore. It just can't. It's a sad thing, but I guess that's life.

Its all about finding games you like as main games. Not subbed wow currently, small summer break, and I'm already being bored. I still have my AOE2 diablo2/3 etc trough

I want to give wildstar rift etc a go, but a MMO for me is something you can invest into in the long run so meh.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

No, never. Are you one of those "i only play recent, modern or previously released "AAA" games" folks? because i still regularly use my gamecube and ps2 and have a great time playing games there never got rereleases or sequels that did things very differently.

You might just be sick of the modern homogenized games design. Supperbunnyhop has a video about it. How things like gears of war, the division, watchdogs and the last of us may appear very different at first, but its all the same cover shooting with the same button layout, throwing mechanics and so on. AAA devs have gotten monumentally lazy over time. Its why we still get zombie games churned out every year without fail. Its 'see player move to player and attack' ai that requires the least amount of work.

We live in an age where the extremely vocal tumblrcut "im such a nerd xDDDDD" audience cattewaul about how "games dont need gameplay, just a story, and thats okay" and this has served as a free pass for a lot of modern games to degenerate to mindless busywork.

Case in point every ubisoft game since the xbox 360 launched.

My advice is get cheap games from pre current gen. The PS3 in many regions is now so cheap you can get 2012 releases for around £2.99 each and thats how i got things like metal gear rising, the ico HD collection, foklore and so on.

If you avoid the modern AAA garbage theres a vibrant range of different kinds of games out there, you just need to look for the ones without screamer streamers pulling the 'paid influencer' gig telling you to 'get hype' about them.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2016-06-26 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    No, never. Are you one of those "i only play recent, modern or previously released "AAA" games" folks? because i still regularly use my gamecube and ps2 and have a great time playing games there never got rereleases or sequels that did things very differently.

You might just be sick of the modern homogenized games design. Supperbunnyhop has a video about it. How things like gears of war, the division, watchdogs and the last of us may appear very different at first, but its all the same cover shooting with the same button layout, throwing mechanics and so on. AAA devs have gotten monumentally lazy over time. Its why we still get zombie games churned out every year without fail. Its 'see player move to player and attack' ai that requires the least amount of work.

We live in an age where the extremely vocal tumblrcut "im such a nerd xDDDDD" audience cattewaul about how "games dont need gameplay, just a story, and thats okay" and this has served as a free pass for a lot of modern games to degenerate to mindless busywork.

Case in point every ubisoft game since the xbox 360 launched.

My advice is get cheap games from pre current gen. The PS3 in many regions is now so cheap you can get 2012 releases for around £2.99 each and thats how i got things like metal gear rising, the ico HD collection, foklore and so on.

If you avoid the modern AAA garbage theres a vibrant range of different kinds of games out there, you just need to look for the ones without screamer streamers pulling the 'paid influencer' gig telling you to 'get hype' about them.
    My same opinion. I'm getting disconnected more and more with AAA games while looking more at the indie or buying and replaying games from the mid 90s and 2000. There are few pearls, for my taste, from bigger companies (i'm glad you mentioned MGR, rules of nature, yo) but more and more i'm looking back to what i like and loved from my youth and buy similar games like Wolfenstein TNO, Doom 4, Deus Ex HR while avoiding the more scripted bullshit cover shooting.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

When leisure no longer feels enjoyable, it's because you aren't pushing yourself hard enough in your work.
    Try something new at work, take on new projects, go find something you think you could barely manage and do it.
    Warning: May result in divorce.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Seifa View Post
    My same opinion. I'm getting disconnected more and more with AAA games while looking more at the indie or buying and replaying games from the mid 90s and 2000. There are few pearls, for my taste, from bigger companies (i'm glad you mentioned MGR, rules of nature, yo) but more and more i'm looking back to what i like and loved from my youth and buy similar games like Wolfenstein TNO, Doom 4, Deus Ex HR while avoiding the more scripted bullshit cover shooting.
    I don't know I feel the industry and especially the AAA side of it doesn't really changed that much well since the first home consoles.

Of course there were innovations more frequent, especially since the technology iteself was evolving at a much faster rate, and the whole thing was just much newer and fresh. But I have a hard time thinking of games of previous generations being really all that unique, genre-defining and original.

Sure, you had those, but the majority had similar mechanics and even artstyles to many other games. The big difference is it's been quite a while, and nowadays we mostly keep memory of the good/memorable/fresh ones, not the not-so-great AAA uninspired crap.

Also the industry grew a lot, which means not only that there are more games being made than ever, but that are more decent and better games being made than ever. Which in a way makes the really good ones less special because there are also other good ones with similar gameplay and whatnot.

But in the end the gaming world is more open to indies, and overall non-AAA games than ever, so I'd say don't have it so bad nowadays. If anything having so many games nowdays is a problem, as the tools we have for filtering, trying and buying those games haven't kept the pace.

It's as easy to say the last of us, gear of wars and the division are basicly the same thing because they have similar gameplay/controllers (which isn't all that bad honestly, a lot of people get annoyed/have a hard time because controls can be so different from game to game), and forget many 4th to 6th generation games all had the same platformer like gameplay and controls of moving + 1 button to jump + 1/2 buttons to attack + 1 button to interact.

The big names were less afraid to explore and invest in new ideas, sure, especially when it comes to exclusives, but I don't think overall there's that MUCH difference on a broad scale, and I certainly think it's something hard to measure.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-06-26 at 12:33 PM.

I also have such moments, it's normal.
    There are many, many great games but somehow there are days during which nothing excites me and I have no desire to play.
    I just accept it, don't think about it, don't force myself to anything, and do something else.
    Luckily, there are other activities we can enjoy, or just give ourselves a break and have a lazy day.

One day your joy may return. If it doesn't, just enjoy the other stuff & activities. Sometimes life tells us to move on.

Back in the days when I was much younger, I played alot, especially Diablo 2, Counter-Strike 1.6 or the old Project Entropia while it was great a game (now it's a shadow of it's former glory) in which I could earn tons of money. I even had an hardcore WoW months episode during the Wrath of the Lich King. These years I overplayed myself, can't do it again.
    I think many people also play too much, consume their games too fast and are left with nothing to enjoy. I've become a casual and I am a much happier player Having a free time with more different activities really pays off.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-06-26 at 12:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only play games in genres you know you like deeply. Don't buy major releases just cause everyone hypes them, if the game in particular is in a genre you know you haven't enjoyed much in the past, just skip right past it.

I'm kinda in the same boat, I still get hyped for things like E3, new games etc. but then when push comes to shuff I can't bring myself to play or finish them. I just end up playing golf friends or some random shit lol.

I just end up playing golf friends or some random shit lol.
    Yep, I also do that sometimes

@OP

Despite claiming to not be 'bored with games in general', you are actually. The hobby is not exciting to you and the familiar is comforting in that dissonance.

Its a part of growing up OP, things like video games slowly lose interest. WoW and Hearthstone are the only games I've been able to turn on anymore. Nothing short of a WoW expansion excites me or generates hype. I've outgrown pokemon, nintendo, x-box and ps4 best left to the kids. If WoW were to go it'd be the end of my gaming easily.

There are so many games out there that are under the radar that you might like. Instead of looking at the AAA games, look at the smaller games. Personally I've had great fun with Stardew Valley recently.

Stop staying in your comfort zone and reach out to genres you never played before. That's what your OP tells me you're afraid to do and probably the reason for everything.

Steam summer sale and everything... try out some indy rogue likes such as FTL or Binding of Isaac. Try out some really out there japanese games on steam such as Danganronpa or Senran Kagura or the hyperdimension neptunia series.

Or try one of the best games of all time that is rarely recognized and currently $5 on steam. Valkyria Chronicles.

Stop chasing flavor of the month shit, or being worried about your hype level for games and explore. All this shit is literally dirt cheap on steam right now and better then your typical flavor of the month release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play games with friends.

Several of my favorite games nowadays I would have never even played if friends hadn't said "hey come play this with us..."