Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Soul Effigy Macro

Never really use macro in PvE but i feel managing this talent whould be easier with a nice macro.
    The problem is I have no idea how to make a good macro. My idea is to make a macro that puts the Soul effigy in focus as u summon it and cast dots on it. Sounds like a simple macro but dont know the syntax.

My poor example:

If /target Soul Effigy = false = /cast Soul Effigy
    if /target Soul Effigy (dont have dots??) = /cast agony and corruption.

yeah not my strength in wow. But do any 1 see where i was going with this? And willing to help a fellow warlock?

I'm not the best macro writer, but here's what I've come up with so far on the PTR for myself.

#showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Agony
    /tar [mod:alt] Soul Effigy
    /cast [mod:alt] Agony
    /targetlasttarget [mod:alt]

If you hit the button, it casts Agony on your current target like normal. If you hold Alt and hit the button, it casts Agony on your Soul Effigy without changing your current target. (I think you can only see your own so there's no problem with multiple Afflic Warlocks in the raid, but I haven't tested it.) You can substitute Shift or Ctrl for Alt if you prefer, and copy while replacing Agony with Corruption or Siphon Life for your other DoTs. For now you'll still want your Soul Effigy as your Focus so you can watch the durations, but I'm sure there will be Weak Aura strings for it eventually.

I think that's about the best you can do. They very deliberately don't let macros gauge the state of combat and pick which action to take for you, so you still have to decide when and if to cast DoTs on the Soul Effigy. This just gives you a single button macro to cast those DoTs on either target. There might be a better syntax if there's a command for target="Soul Effigy" that I don't know how to use properly, but this at least works.

tnx alot, just what I was looking for. But is there any syntax to put Soul effigy in focus in the same macro? So I can manage the dot timers better.

You both are very good people. I kiss you.

However, I am a tad annoyed at blizzard when they said they dont want addons to be required. Macros are honestly harder for a new player to grasp than addons.

Soul effigy would be better as a dps cooldown imo, maybe after Legion. You draw out the target's soul briefly and attacking it does increased damage to the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomkanon View Post
    tnx alot, just what I was looking for. But is there any syntax to put Soul effigy in focus in the same macro? So I can manage the dot timers better.
    You could throw a /focus [mod:alt] command in there to refocus the Soul Effigy every time, but here, I think this will be a bit better.

#showtooltip Soul Effigy
    /cast [nomod] Soul Effigy
    /focus [mod:alt]

Press once to cast Soul Effigy. Once the cast is complete hold alt and press again to set the Soul Effigy as your focus and return to the target you cast it on. Because Soul Effigy has a cast time you can't do it as a one-click macro, but this should make it easier to focus the Soul Effigy while getting back to your original target at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    Press once to cast Soul Effigy. Once the cast is complete hold alt and press again to set the Soul Effigy as your focus and return to the target you cast it on. Because Soul Effigy has a cast time you can't do it as a one-click macro, but this should make it easier to focus the Soul Effigy while getting back to your original target at once.
    Holy cwap! U are just awesome! I also got a much better understanding for macros. Just 1 last question. Why do u need "#showtooltip" at the start and what does it do?

Again tnx alot m8!

Quote Originally Posted by Atomkanon View Post
    Holy cwap! U are just awesome! I also got a much better understanding for macros. Just 1 last question. Why do u need "#showtooltip" at the start and what does it do?

Again tnx alot m8!
    It generally gives the macro button the icon for the spell it is using.

Quote Originally Posted by Slythan View Post
    It generally gives the macro button the icon for the spell it is using.
    The icon and the mouse over tooltip, yeah. Some people like custom icons, I prefer to keep them easy to recognize and the tooltip available if I need to check exact wording or damage values.

Is there any way to make the macro for just getting the focus on the Soul Effigy with out a mod/alt key to use on top of it

#showtooltip Soul Effigy
    /cast Soul Effigy
    /target Soul Effigy
    /focus target
    ??????
    any help with out the mod alt / shift / ctrl keys ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Quote Originally Posted by Catslock View Post
    Is there any way to make the macro for just getting the focus on the Soul Effigy with out a mod/alt key to use on top of it
    There's no way to have a one-click macro for Soul Effigy because the spell has a cast time. You need to click once to start the spell casting and then click at least once more after the spell completes to focus the Effigy and return to your original target. I suppose you could use a cast sequence instead of a mod key, but that's just hitting the macro key three times instead of the macro key twice and your mod key once. So it's more a matter of taste than an actual gain. Well, unless a better macro scripter than me knows a trick I don't know.

Good suggestions here. I've been playing around and will try these tomorrow.

Oh, since this thread has been revived, I should post the macro I'm using now after I ground my up macro skill ranks a bit.

#showtooltip
    /cast [nomod:alt] Agony
    /cast [mod:alt, @Focus] Agony

Simple, no fuss, no muss. Click to cast Agony (or whatever DoT you enter) on your target, mod:click to cast it on your focus. If you're using Soul Effigy with the focus macro, there you go. If it's a council fight and you took Soul Conduit instead, you don't have to change anything except manually selecting a boss as a focus target.

The more complex macro with

would only be necessary if and when there's an addon or WA string to let you track the DoTs on your Effigy without making it your focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Catslock View Post

#showtooltip Soul Effigy
    /cast Soul Effigy
    /target Soul Effigy
    /focus target
    ??????
    any help with out the mod alt / shift / ctrl keys ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    #showtooltip Soul Effigy
    /cast Soul Effigy
    /target Soul Effigy
    /focus
    /targetlasttarget

That should work.

Its probably not the most efficient way to do it but I've setup a cast sequence macro for my Effigy.

/castsequence reset=10/nocombat Soul Effigy, Corruption, Agony, Siphon Life

I have Absolute corruption talented so I only need to manage Agony and Siphon life which I've setup as mouse over macros to easily reapply with ought having to re-target.

I was wondering if something like this exists, I want to set it up for Agony, Siphon life, and corruption:

If focus doesnt exist, target soul effigy, focus it
    if focus exists, /cast [target=focus] one of the dots
    CompTIA A+ Computer technician, 7 years and counting...

Retired WoW Heroic Raider, currently playing DOTA 2 competitively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any way to just have the soul effigy nameplate always show? I find that I lose that stupid purple piece of shit way too often, and without a focus macro it's a huge waste to try to find it. I'll be using one, of course, but as a backup it would be nice to just be able to show the nameplate.

Also, the whole mechanic feels clunky and balls to me, which is too bad since it's the new staple of Affliction. Is Soul Conduit at all viable in comparison?

Side note, are people mostly running Siphon Life or Sow the Seeds for everyday use? I find Siphon Life in conjunction with Absolute Corruption is pretty nice, since you throw up Corr at the start and then basically just replace it with SI in your usual DoT upkeep rotation. Still, AoE feels gimped and shit to me atm. Just wondering what other people are feeling.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

that's what i was looking for Rehok .. thanks i appreciate your help ))))

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    #showtooltip Soul Effigy
    /cast Soul Effigy
    /target Soul Effigy
    /focus
    /targetlasttarget

That should work.
    Did you even test it? That doesn't, at all. Click it once and the mob is focused while you're targeting the Soul Effigy. Clicking it a second time will focus the Soul Effigy while leaving you with no target.

I'll say it again. Because Soul Effigy has a cast time, there is no way to focus the Effigy with the same button click as casting it.

I have so much room on my hot bar these days, I'm using three buttons for effigy to handle the pull.
    I dot boss, cast effigy, use a macro to focus effigy and retarget boss, then a cast sequence macro to put dots on effigy.
    Then I settle into the fight with my effigy focused.

There is probably a better way but that's what I did this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    Oh, since this thread has been revived, I should post the macro I'm using now after I ground my up macro skill ranks a bit.

#showtooltip
    /cast [nomod:alt] Agony
    /cast [mod:alt, @Focus] Agony

Simple, no fuss, no muss. Click to cast Agony (or whatever DoT you enter) on your target, mod:click to cast it on your focus. If you're using Soul Effigy with the focus macro, there you go. If it's a council fight and you took Soul Conduit instead, you don't have to change anything except manually selecting a boss as a focus target.

The more complex macro with

would only be necessary if and when there's an addon or WA string to let you track the DoTs on your Effigy without making it your focus.

Actually if you're going to do that you don't need a macro at all for your abilities. Just go into Interface Options, Combat Tab, and select ALT as the Focus Cast Key - Now ALL of your spells will go to focus target with no macro needed.

You'd still need the macro to set up Soul Effigy as your focus, but then you could cast anything you like on it.