10+ Year Old Account

Ranged mechanic immunity

So I have mained a MW monk since the beginning of MoP and plan to main my MW monk til the end of times. I have read about ranged mechanic immunity but never looked into it personally. What is it? What does it entail? I feel like I still get hit by ranged mechanics in WoW...Can someone explain it to me? I can't find much on the subject aside from people mentioning the immunity but not explaining it.

Deleted
    did you ever raid? because MW were immune to ranged mechanics and affected only by melee ones, known to be way more movement involved. in legion is being changed and also MW will be targetted by ranged boss mechanics as every other healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    did you ever raid? because MW were immune to ranged mechanics and affected only by melee ones, known to be way more movement involved. in legion is being changed and also MW will be targetted by ranged boss mechanics as every other healer.
    Yes I do raid and that's why I am asking this question. For example, the Killrogg fight, when he does death throes I still get targeted, hit, and damaged by that and it's a ranged mechanic or at least it seems like it's a ranged mechanic so idk how it's supposed to work. I dodge stuff anyways since I didn't really know too much about the immunity. Can you give an example of fights with such mechanics that we are immune to?
    Last edited by Jademist; 2016-06-27 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    which completely destroys fistweaving.... oh wait

MW is just another class reduced to boring shit in Legion <3

Quote Originally Posted by theJademist View Post
    Yes I do raid and that's why I am asking this question. For example, the Killrogg fight, when he does death throes I still get hit and damaged by that and it's a ranged mechanic or at least it seems like it's a ranged mechanic so idk how it's supposed to work. I dodge stuff anyways since I didn't really know too much about the immunity.
    are you trolling now ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by classic username View Post
    which completely destroys fistweaving.... oh wait

MW is just another class reduced to boring shit in Legion <3
    IDK I am enjoying MW a lot in beta. I like the new kit we have. Fistweaving was meh for me anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by classic username View Post

are you trolling now ?
    I am not trolling. This is an honest and sincere question. Is it wrong to have questions? Yeesh. I am not a hardcore player but I raid when I can. I have done normal HFC and LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mistweavers are classified as a melee specialization and will not get targeted by abilities that are strictly for ranged specializations. However, most boss mechanics tend to have other criterion that is usually player range. An ability that targets nearby players will coincidentally target melee, and an ability that targets someone far out will typically be ranged. Standing in ranged thus makes Mistweavers immune to most if not all mechanics for a boss by technicality. If many of the melee die you will probably be targeted by their relevant abilities regardless of range.

In Legion [read about it here], Mistweavers will be a ranged specialization but will be exempt from abilities that would, say, place something on the ground that blows up melee. You can fistweave, but you may get a debuff or something that requires you to go back into ranged for a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solemnity View Post
    In Legion [read about it here], Mistweavers will be a ranged specialization but will be exempt from abilities that would, say, place something on the ground that blows up melee. You can fistweave, but you may get a debuff or something that requires you to go back into ranged for a bit.
    ^ which is honestly not even a big deal. We have so much mobility and powerful range healing it doesn't matter. In all of my raid testing with rising thunder, I have maybe had to leave melee for ~3-4 seconds. It kinda sucks because you get behind on your TFT-ReM, but it's really a minor problem in the grand scheme of things.

Somethings you may have noticed during certain fights
    Examples:
    Archimonde - you might have noticed that the green fire doesn't spawn where you were standing
    Manny - not targeted by the "force push" until all are
    Killrog - can stand in melee and won't be targeted by squirrels unless there is little to nobody at range them it will target melee.
    That's the examples I can think of.

Things a mw might do to cause being mostly melee;
    Used all renewing mist and at full chi, then go blow a few fw spells before raid dmg
    Stay in melee to make best use of tornado
    Use sweeping leg or charging ox, very strong knockdowns
    Get back to normal healing after RM run out and you'll be back to full stacks of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackchal View Post
    Somethings you may have noticed during certain fights
    Examples:
    Archimonde - you might have noticed that the green fire doesn't spawn where you were standing
    Manny - not targeted by the "force push" until all are
    Killrog - can stand in melee and won't be targeted by squirrels unless there is little to nobody at range them it will target melee.
    That's the examples I can think of.

Things a mw might do to cause being mostly melee;
    Used all renewing mist and at full chi, then go blow a few fw spells before raid dmg
    Stay in melee to make best use of tornado
    Use sweeping leg or charging ox, very strong knockdowns
    Get back to normal healing after RM run out and you'll be back to full stacks of them.
    Ok yeah I have noticed that. Thanks for the examples!