Thread: Nvme vs sata

Deleted

Nvme vs sata

Hi all.

I'm busy choosing parts for a custom build probably an over clocked 3xs from scan.Co.uk while waiting for new and cards to drop and choose between 1070 and 480.

On another thread someone told me that in reality I won't be able to tell the difference between a 500gb 950 and 850.

Does anyone have links to any real world test such as boot times, wow loading screens, etc so I can get an idea of the numbers involved? Anyone tested this themselves?

Also, I'm thinking that at the same oc of 4.5ghz ish for £90 extra is there a gaming (ie wow lol) disadvantage to a 6700k over a 6700k? I won't do any work on it as I can take a workstation home from work or remote vm if needed.

I've done some basic googling but would find these tests more useful than trying to guess how iops and queue depths affect wow loading screens.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Deleted
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...sd,4608-4.html

This very review, also basically any SSD will resolve data streaming performance in games that demand it, but otherwise if its just gaming, get the SSD that gives you the most storage for the money.

I really hate it when people slag off SSDs just for gaming that dont have enterprise performance, as long as the data streaming performance in games is above 200mb/s, there is no issue.

Deleted
    Thanks for the fast reply Thorian.

I haven't looked at the link yet but I think I read it already. Will check soon.

Mind if I ask why the 200m/b ? Wouldn't 600 (just for example) make loading times 3 times faster?

Ok I didn't read that article do those initial charts really show so little increase. I am assuming some of them are sata? They are not all nvme right?
    Last edited by mmocf0b29d4c77; 2016-06-27 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Mind if I ask why the 200m/b ? Wouldn't 600 (just for example) make loading times 3 times faster?
    Yes and no... it depends what the limiting factor is. It's not just a case of loading files off the disk, the software then has to process the files, typically decompressing them and them streaming them into the engine into a usable form, which takes CPU cycles. Loading the file is only part of the equation.

If the CPU is sitting there waiting for something to do, more RAM and faster storage helps. If it's already doing as much as it can, a faster drive won't make a difference.

Deleted
    Well it looks like nvme isn't going to be noticeable for me so I'll stick with sata.

I can always add one in future if things change.

Thanks again for the info.