War Thunder Player Made Over $5000 Through Revenue Share Program

The recent Warthunder Flaming Arrows update introduced the HE 219 plane, a German night interceptor, which was created by a player, Daniil "_Joy_Division_" Zaitsev. This was part of the War Thunder Revenue Share Program, where players could create maps, vehicles, skins and submit them to game. the most popular player made item go on sale and the creator gets a 25% cut of each sale.

guess how much Mr. Zaitsev has made? over $5000 until now: http://mmo-play.com/mmofps/war-thund...nets-player-5k

Being a video gamer in his 30's it is really great to see people making a living out of the hobby. Back in the days we were always told by parents and uncles etc how video games were a waste of time. Glad some people are proving them wrong. still wish i was making a living of playing games though

Not actually played War Thunder but I've heard only bad things about it - pay-to-win, OP Russian aircraft and tanks, lousy flight models. Apparently it was pretty good a couple years ago but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Not actually played War Thunder but I've heard only bad things about it - pay-to-win, OP Russian aircraft and tanks, lousy flight models. Apparently it was pretty good a couple years ago but not anymore.
    Pretty much.
    I wrote out a whole post on how the game was broken from top to bottom but it's just not worth it. Needless to say, the worst part about War Thunder is the developer. Pointing out Gaijin's bias towards Russian everything ran the risk of getting a forum ban, and if the community saw something that needed to be fixed (like the Tiger 1 being modeled incorrectly) Gaijin required MULTIPLE SOURCES OF PROOF before they'd even consider it. Meanwhile they'd pull "top sekret dokuments" out their ass to justify the most ridiculous Russian buffs or German nerfs.

It was a mess and I don't recommend the game to anyone. Avoid at all costs.
    If you're looking for air combat, get IL-2 1946 with Hyperlobby. No P2W schemes, no ridiculous matchmaking, you get all the planes to fly with and the flight models are the best I've seen.
    If you're looking for tanks....eh, World of Tanks maybe? Not that great but so much better than War Thunder.

It's a shame because the game had potential.

I don't know if $5k constitutes "a living". Its a good chunk of change, especially if he approached it as a hobby... but its not enough to live on for long, and whether its 'profitable' depends on how many hours he put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    As someone who has played War Thunder Ground Forces quite a bit, I'll say right now that the Pay to Win and OP Russian stuff is mostly bull.

In the 1.0-2.0 battle rating bracket, Russian tanks are fairly superior. 2.7-4.3 Shermans are ripping people to shreads and the first good Panzer 4s are coming in to play but are basically glass cannons. T-34-76 is basically a non-issue cause its penetration is meh and its armor is... well its a T-34, its armor is thin but bouncy.

In the 5.0-6.0 battle range Russians are again kinda dominant, but so is the Tiger 1, the Comet is a really good tank as well with excellent penetration, a really trollish turret front, and excellent speed (Just don't try to reverse, I guess the British don't understand the concept of going backward).

Also as a massive downside to the Russians - Gun depression. Russian tanks do not aim down. British and American tanks can almost aim over a hill when they are going over, but a Russian cannot aim until they completely crest the hill. Its a pretty big down side and has gotten me killed a bunch of times.

The T-34-100 was kind of strong, but in general Russian tanks are a one shot then done kind of tank. If you miss or bounce then you are royally screwed. I stopped playing Russian with the IS-2 Mod. 1944 because it could not compete as well with Tiger II (H) and Caernarvon. Both are really bouncy with better guns (Not as big of a gun, but better guns in general.)

The only real problems I have with the game is that past 6.0 battle rating American tanks are terrible. And because Gaijin put in so many late era Russian tanks and not enough late era German/American tanks they had to rank the T-54s down a bit so that their match making isn't incredibly slow. They are kind of overpowered at their battle rating and is the only real instance of a tank being ridiculous. Bouncy T-54 makes my Tiger II cry.

I can't comment on flight models, I don't play realistic planes.

The idea of Russian bias comes from the fact that so many Russian tanks have one shot cannons. Starting with the KV-2 you can pretty much one shot anything you hit with it... then you die because a KV-2 just shot and everyone rushes it while its taking 45 seconds to reload. This continues on down the line with the IS-2 and onward with the 122mm guns. If you miss/bounce/fail to kill in any way you are probably going to die.

If you want to criticize Gaijin, it should be their community management. It makes Blizzard's look incredible.

On the main topic its cool that Gaijin are doing that.

Hmm, thanks for the info - I must admit the only reason I ever took notice of War Thunder is the aircraft side of it - I have no interest in the tank battles.