Angry Gear, current state

I remember back in the days where gear actually meant something. Each item was unique, after farming that dungeon/raid to get that epic item you always wanted, it sticks with you for a while. You develop some kind of bond with your gear. you had options such as: betrayer's thirst (axe), Armageddons Blade, etc..

Now its more like:

- item of X
    - Warforged item of X
    - Heroic item of X
    - Heroic Warforged item of X
    etc..

Each piece of gear has like 10 versions of it, to the point you don't even know the name of the item you have equipped, its doesn't feel unique since all players have the same gear just different iLevel of it.

What do you guys think ? would you like the old ways of gear or the current ones ?

Deleted
    The old gear worked better with the old loot model (rare epics, rare loots). But it's gone since warth (maybe even BC) and impossible to recreate.

They are trying to do it though, look at legion legendaries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yea current system is just the nameless RNG shit. Now you have normal/heroic/mythic version of each item and plus bonuses like higher ilvl triple stats and socket.

I do have a bond with my mythic warforged, socketed Edict with avoidance on it.
    I'm fine with the current gear model really...

This isn't new, it's been a progressive model since Wrath. Works fine, gives a nice progression path, more so with Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh this is a hard question for me to answer.
    The options of warforged gear, or heroic warforged feels good. In previous expansions where i had all gear on a character i stopped on that and jump an alt because i was bored and gear that character.
    Now with these new items and wf and hwf, i feel that i can keep developing my Main!
    Naming of weapons and gear: Seriously why would this be a bad thing, i rather have for example "edict of argus + wf then 27 diff names for the same weapon really.
    Also if u would name all things differently, u will use up the names pretty quick at this momnet!
    In the end we will have things like "edict of argus, the spider queens ice cream with sprinkles , chhoocolate and whipped cream!!

but this is just my 2 cents
    The Monk Phenomenon

As a player since vanilla, I honestly prefer it the way it is now, keeps your main interested in progressing a little further and makes getting BiS a never ending feat, like Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by iambloodbear View Post
    In the end we will have things like "edict of argus, the spider queens ice cream with sprinkles , chhoocolate and whipped cream!!
    Thank you for making me spit out my cereal, seriously laughed too long at this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    This isn't new, it's been a progressive model since Wrath. Works fine, gives a nice progression path, more so with Legion.
    problem is that with legion the path is more of a WIBBLY WOBBLY all over the place path.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by arth View Post
    I remember back in the days where gear actually meant something. Each item was unique, after farming that dungeon/raid to get that epic item you always wanted, it sticks with you for a while. You develop some kind of bond with your gear. you had options such as: betrayer's thirst (axe), Armageddons Blade, etc..

Now its more like:

- item of X
    - Warforged item of X
    - Heroic item of X
    etc..

Each piece of gear has like 10 versions of it, to the point you don't even know the name of the item you have equipped, its doesn't feel unique since all players have the same gear just different iLevel of it.

What do you guys think ? would you like the old ways of gear or the current ones ?
    i think being this nostalgic should be a clinical condition.

Quote Originally Posted by arth View Post

Now its more like:

- item of X
    - Warforged item of X
    - Heroic item of X
    etc..

The thing I miss nowadays... is yes it is a never ending search for perfect gear. But this search is now more like a quest for the holy grail.... it never ends. While before it was a quest that wasn't certain... but far from impossible. You would just continue your (heroic) Mythic raids until you and your fellow raiders were "perfect". This was a goal in itself to keep raiding until the next expansion.

Now this has become impossible. So what happens is that guilds stop raiding after most or all of the guildraidgroup has downed the final boss once or a few times. And now we feel the content drought even more.

I just don't like the possibility of your itemlevel to be inflatable "maybe".

And I want gear to matter as it once did. But gear in itself with transmog... they might aswell just make everything white and just have bigger numbers on some pieces of gear. I don't want transmog to go btw...

It's an awful system. It's not exciting, so much so that I might not take part in character progression at all this expansion after seeing all the content once. There are other MMORPGs that have a more traditional system that I enjoy much much more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalsen View Post
    They are trying to do it though, look at legion legendaries.
    Yeah but putting in a whole new system on top of the old because they fucked up the previous one doesn't feel like the best solution.

Deleted
    I don't like random upgrades at all, because you lose focus. In BC and Wrath, you could look up the loot tables of bosses and then lay out a path for your progression. You also had additional value of sockets and socket bonuses etc. You got your item and could upgrade it with either gems or enchants or even both. Your gear had more longevity. This is possibly bad now when people have the attention span of 8 seconds, but I think that some things have a too fast pace, resulting in many negative things (discontinuation in the community, burn-out etc.).

Really, I don't get people who first burn through content, and then claim there is nothing to do. Binge-players with no self-control are a pest.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Really, I don't get people who first burn through content, and then claim there is nothing to do. Binge-players with no self-control are a pest.
    Huh? Why would you say that? I am a "binge player" at heart myself. I'll tell you as short as possible how I play:
    1. level up as fast as possible but still try to experience as much of the leveling as possible. I don't skip anything but I might be maxlevel before I complete everything. After maxlevel I still will complete every quest
    2. At maxlevel I will do dungeons asap to get the gear I require for raids
    3. At maxlevel I will craft gear that I didn't get from dungeons to supplement that area to get into raiding asap
    This is done at max of 2 weeks but likely within 1. I will play basically non stop (but will sleep 8 hours a day)

4. start raiding with the guild and kill off heroic asap to clear mythic - clearing heroic will probably take a week or 2 and we raid 3 to 4 times a week.

Meanwhile... I'll keep playing the game per usual... this entails... doing dungeons for valor or something that I require to further anything professionwise or gearwise aswell as gold and stuff that I can sell for gold that I can buy flasks etc with.

Now this... I did in Vanilla aswell until Wrath... and I would NOT run out of content to do. I would keep myself entertained and not burned out. Mostly because I was never done. And if I almost was... or was.. I would make an alt.. that I would probably not completely gear up. So yeah... what I am trying to say.. the game could entertain a player like me in the past. (ofcourse I wouldn't level up in 2 weeks during vanilla etc.. but the pace is the same)
    But now I am done after a few months.... and you tell me that there is something wrong with me and I should stop "racing" when all I ever did was enjoy the game to the max? I could play all day every day and not run out of things to do.

Why not lay blame with Blizzard in their inability to provide content even for players like me?
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2016-06-28 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    problem is that with legion the path is more of a WIBBLY WOBBLY all over the place path.
    Fair point actually, I didn't consider that if I still raided properly I'd be annoyed about the way it's looking in Legion.

The only effect this will have for the average player is that instead of chasing that last piece of gear from their personal BiS-list they'll stop playing as soon as they've experienced all the content they're interested in and gotten okay gear. If there's no way to reach the finish line why even race?

This will have the opposite effect of what Blizzard is trying to do. Instead of making gear exciting it will be bland and boring, instead of making players keep running content for the possibility of an upgrade they'll quit and wait for the next batch of content.

RNG is not the solution. Static gear that drop a hell less frequently is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they are trying to get rid of the whole BiS, by making it that theres always better.

For Example my when i was in "Mythic" raiding in MoP in SoO our raid's main tanks were a DK and Druid. the DK was not only Picky with her gear but got her BiS early in the raid Season. So when when ever Plate tank gear dropped and me being the Guilds BU Plate tank the gear went to me.

Towards the ending months of MoP my Tank O/S Gear was BiS (All Warforged) way before my Dps Spec made it to the status it was when WoD rolled out (Fuck you Thok's Tail Whip)

With the 'Titan Forge' players will less likely get the best of the Best a few months into a Raiding tier.