7+ Year Old Account

Climate impacts life strategies, time orientation, self-control

Researchers have long struggled to explain why some violent crime rates are higher near the equator than other parts of the world. Now, a team of researchers have developed a model that could help explain why.

This new model goes beyond the simple fact that hotter temperatures seem to be linked to more aggressive behavior.

The researchers believe that hot climates and less variation in seasonal temperatures leads to a faster life strategy, less focus on the future, and less self-control – all of which contribute to more aggression and violence.

“Less variation in temperature, combined with heat, brings some measure of consistency to daily life”, Rinderu said.

That means there is less need to plan for large swings between warm and cold weather. The result is a faster life strategy that isn’t as concerned about the future and leads to less need for self-control.

“Strong seasonal variation in temperature affects culture in powerful ways. Planning in agriculture, hoarding, or simply preparing for cold winters shapes the culture in many ways, often with people not even noticing it. But it does shape how much a culture values time and self-control,” Van Lange said.

“If there is less variation, you’re freer to do what you want now, because you’re not preparing foods or chopping firewood or making winter clothes to get you through the winter. You also may be more concerned with the immediate stress that comes along with parasites and other risks of hot climates, such as venomous animals.”

People living in these climates are oriented to the present rather than the future and have a fast life strategy – they do things now.

“We see evidence of a faster life strategy in hotter climates with less temperature variation – they are less strict about time, they have less use of birth control, they have children earlier and more often,” Bushman said.

With a faster life strategy and an orientation toward the present, people have to practice less self-control, he said. That can lead people to react more quickly with aggression and sometimes violence.

The theory is not deterministic and isn’t meant to suggest that people in hotter, consistent climates can’t help themselves when it comes to violence and aggression.

“How people approach life is a part of culture and culture is strongly affected by climate,” Van Lange said. “Climate doesn’t make a person, but it is one part of what influences each of us. We believe it shapes the culture in important ways,” he said.
    https://news.osu.edu/news/2016/06/24/climate-theory/

It's official. 'Living in the now' is bad for you. Take that, feelgood newage bullshitters!
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

This seems plausible.

Where's the evidence though? I don't see any proposed mechanism, just a some ad hoc rationale based on correlations. Here's the actual paper.

I think it has to do with more the way you are brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I think it has to do with more the way you are brought up.
    Why do you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Why do you think so?
    Because places like Chicago are more violent than cities farther in the south, hell no way I would ever walk at night a lone in Detroit or parts of NYC

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Because places like Chicago are more violent than cities farther in the south, hell no way I would ever walk at night a lone in Detroit or parts of NYC
    Edit - looks like you're right and I just grafted on what I'd consider a more plausible hypothesis. Sorry about that. I now think their model is probably pretty silly.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2016-06-28 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    <strikethrough>One of us is misunderstanding their hypothesis - I think what they're driving at are genetic differences driven by environment historically. This wouldn't have much impact on a recently migrated population.</strikethrough>

To the extent that they're hypothesizing direct impact of heat, Chicago is really hot during the summer.

Edit - looks like you're right and I just grafted on what I'd consider a more plausible hypothesis. Sorry about that. I now think their model is probably pretty silly.
    It's no doubt more people are out on the street in 90 degree weather vs 20 Degree weather but that's just an argument for opportunity, not that peoples moral compasses goes south when they are more south

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I must admit I get irritable if I am outside and it is hot and humid. Really do not mind the winters. But I know people who are just the opposite.

7+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I don't disagree with the idea that weather and climate can have a big impact on us (I mean, we pay attention to it on a daily basis), but to go as far as that article is stating? Couldn't there be many other factors, such as urbanization and such? Count me as skeptical.
    Mafia History

Mafia 2/2 | Town 6/9 | SK/Cult 1/2

No shit, crime and violence is greater in warmer climates and during warmer seasons.

During the colder seasons/colder climates, people are huddled up indoors, too busy freezing their asses off to get into the mischief they otherwise would have if the weather were more comfortable.

I live in Ohio, and the number of assholes and bickering you hear in the streets increases noticeably as soon as the weather gets nice. Once winter hits, you don't hear a thing. People are too focused on getting out of the cold and don't have time for typical drama.

On the flip side, I would imagine there's an increase in domestic violence during the winter months/colder climates.
    Last edited by OneSent; 2016-06-28 at 12:55 PM.

Idk almost seems like a way to scientifically prove racism by saying groups that are close to the equator; blacks Hispanics, south east asians, are more violent etc. Than Europeans.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Idk almost seems like a way to scientifically prove racism by saying groups that are close to the equator; blacks Hispanics, south east asians, are more violent etc. Than Europeans.
    Or you could do the opposite and say that the only reason europeans are doing better is because of their climate. I guess it depends on how much of an outragemonger you are. Maybe you should try doing both at once, for maximum effect.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Or you could do the opposite and say that the only reason europeans are doing better is because of their climate. I guess it depends on how much of an outragemonger you are. Maybe you should try doing both at once, for maximum effect.
    Yeah but Europeans only started trying to be non violent in the last 60 yrs or so.

Si that doesn't really pan out.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    It's official. 'Living in the now' is bad for you. Take that, feelgood newage bullshitters!
    YOLO kills!