Need help deciding on Monitor: 2k@144Hz VS 4k@60Hz

Alright i've just purchased a sexy new computer setup... which currently has no monitor aside from my current old 1080's @ 60Hz.

The relevant specs will be:

Intel i7-6700k @ 4kGHz
    Nvidia GTX 1080 (Gigabyte G1 gaming flavour)
    32gb DDR4 ram
    + ask if any of the other specs i'm omitting matter and i'll give info

... which will be vastly overkill for 1080 monitors, of course, and thats where my problem is: I don't know which monitor to get. The options im currently deciding between are:

$999AU - Acer Predator 27" Gsync w/ 1440p @ 144Hz IPS: https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6219...Gaming-Monitor
    vs
    $699AU - Acer XB280HK 28" Gsync w/ 4k @ 60Hz: https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6198...Gaming-Monitor

Which brings us to my key problem : I've only used shitty 1080 monitors @ 60Hz up till now, and I don't really know how to juggle the relative values between Increasing Resolution VS Higher Frequency.... because i've never really experienced either.

Price? I can afford either, and the 4k monitor is actually cheaper in the above examples.
    Can my new rig handle either? Yes, it'll have a gtx 1080 and skylake cpu. (I'm aware that the 1080 won't provide 60 fps on AAA latest games, but they'll still be playable etc and Gsync will kick in)

So I need some input/help/discussion:

- Has anyone faced a similar decision? (And how did you ultimately decide what to do etc).
    - If you could show someone who's only prior used 1080 @ 60Hz either a 1440@144Hz or 4k@60Hz monitor, which one do you think they'd be most impressed / excited by etc? (I know its highly subjective, but interested to hear what opinions people have).
    - IF you value having a higher frequency over the 4k resolution: (Using my two links above) Is the much higher frequency of the 1440 (coupled with 1" dip in size) still worth it when considering a +30% price premium?

I'm not a competitive gamer, but I do enjoy gaming (all blizz games, dota 2, skyrim etc) and want them to look and feel good for the amount of money I just spent on the pc.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-06-28 at 02:11 PM.

So your title says 2k or 4k, but then you are looking at a 1440p vs 4k.

2k =/= 1440p. 2k is 1080p. 2k/4k refers to the number of horizontal pixels. 1080p is 1920x1080, or 1920 horizontal pixels and 1080 verital pixels. 1920 is very close to 2000, so therefore 2k.

Thanks for clarifying, but yeah i'm deciding between 1440 vs 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Thanks for clarifying, but yeah i'm deciding between 1440 vs 4k.
    I would just go with 1440p myself. I don't think hardware is really ready for 4k yet. Even the GTX1080 struggles on some titles at 4k. 1440p is pretty easily doable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I would just go with 1440p myself. I don't think hardware is really ready for 4k yet. Even the GTX1080 struggles on some titles at 4k. 1440p is pretty easily doable though.
    Sidenote question: If I buy dual 1440p, but only game on one (while the other is left idle with browsing windows open etc), does the second idle monitor actually take much load from the gpu?

If you are thinking about gaming 144Hz all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Sidenote question: If I buy dual 1440p, but only game on one (while the other is left idle with browsing windows open etc), does the second idle monitor actually take much load from the gpu?
    not, not at all really. However, if you are not planning on gaming on it, I would actually just recommend getting a 1080p, or just using your current 1080p as the second monitor. I used to do this. I had a 1440x900 monitor that was pretty nice when it was new. Later got 1080p monitor and just continued using the 1440x900 as my second monitor until the day it died. Then I revived it buy buying a $10 kit of capacitors for it and replaced them all and kept it running even longer. Since I was not gaming on it, it didn't really matter to me. Could save yourself some money that way.

I'll always vote for 144Hz. Mostly because I play some FPS shooters more than more static RTS games. It takes a bit, but your eyes will eventually know when you're looking at a 60hz and a 144hz. I'm spoiled, the 144 just seems better.