Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are people so blinded and never learn?

Or the false hopes and everything really...It baffles me?

Havent you learn from all the releases the last 5 years (more like 7?) that all games coming out are mediocre at best and only exist for the purpose of "scamming" money out of people?

I am not saying they arent enjoyable for awhile.. but apart from 3-5 titles a year,(Like Uncharted 4, Witcher 3, etc, depending on console/PC) the rest 4234234 games that come out are literally just "PLEASE GIVE US MONEY WE NEED TO GET RICH TOO".

I am using this as the latest No Man's Sky fiasco.

What did people expect? Some amazing depth game out of nowhere?

Minecraft exists so many years and is being updated by thousands of people with textures and mods and is still a mediocre game.

How could possibly an indie game, charging for 60e/$ be any good or promised as it should be?

Of course the planets are all similar, same palette, of course the animations of the creatures are borked and all look like inbred dinosaurs.

If the game was possible and a great idea, wouldnt you think an actual company would have invested in it?

The same applies to any MMO releasing, depending on genre.. Of course it wont have as much as WoW, they cant possibly have the money.

Of course the latest Japanese MMO isnt good, where did they magically get the money to do so, or the amazing innovation that NCSoft (As a major japanese MMO owning company) wouldnt have already snatched?

Why are people waiting for some messiah of games in each category?

The gaming industry is the new scam industry and has been since "gaming" became a mainstream thing, not that it shouldnt be, but as with every mainstream thing being overpriced and shit, it has became the same exact thing.

For some reason people keep falling hook line and sinker for any dev that promises "you can do anything/go anywhere" and never get wise to it or reflect on what happened last time they "got hype" for a game for this reason.

No Mans Sky, Destiny, Spore the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    For some reason people keep falling hook line and sinker for any dev that promises "you can do anything/go anywhere" and never get wise to it or reflect on what happened last time they "got hype" for a game for this reason.

No Mans Sky, Destiny, Spore the list goes on and on.
    No Man's sky was just the trigger for this post, it applies to every genre, MMO etc and especially consoles..I dont believe someone who posts in MMO-champion can be so naive as to think any console game, apart from literally 1-3 per year (Uncharted 4 as example) is worth the time and cost..

It baffles me..

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    No Man's sky was just the trigger for this post, it applies to every genre, MMO etc and especially consoles..I dont believe someone who posts in MMO-champion can be so naive as to think any console game, apart from literally 1-3 per year (Uncharted 4 as example) is worth the time and cost..

It baffles me..
    When were they different? Even the PS1 had MOUNTAINS of bad games. Plus, back then there were literally zero honest game reviews; the worst you could get was a 7/10.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people forget history. This has ALWAYS been an issue with gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    When were they different? Even the PS1 had MOUNTAINS of bad games. Plus, back then there were literally zero honest game reviews; the worst you could get was a 7/10.
    Yes, but why do you need the opinion of a complete moron that doesnt really play games?

Every self-respected gamer knows all the reviewers are really bad players at everything and get paid off.

Cant you after as a gamer, after so much experience understands whats possible and what isnt and if it was possible the major companies would have already jumped on it, probably years ago?

The limitations of technology, and most importantly, money?

I guess being in IT makes me see things differently or think more logically but i mean, dont the few people that know, block their friends from buying or anything, or warn?
    Last edited by potis; 2016-08-16 at 12:06 AM.

I think the last time I felt any real hype for a game was back in the 6th console gen. Halo 2 really burnt me, along with Killzone and since then I've always taken the approach of "this game looks cool BUT..."

This is why I very rarely preorder anything, though some exceptions are made depending on the circumstances. I think in the end cautious optimism is one thing gamers as a whole could use a little more of in their lives.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Yes, but why do you need the opinion of a complete moron that doesnt really play games?

Every self-respected gamer knows all the reviewers are really bad players at everything and get paid off.

Cant you after as a gamer, after so much experience understands whats possible and what isnt and if it was possible the major companies would have already jumped on it, probably years ago?

Who is this moron that doesn't play games again? Your post reads in a super confusing manner. I'm not even sure what it is you are trying to communicate to me. Seriously, re-read what you posted and ask yourself if it makes any sense, lol.

I'd love to see proof that reviewers are paid off. Please, do show that this is something that happens regularly across multiple sites.

(Spoilers: It's not)

No, because your average gamer/consumer has nowhere near the technical knowledge/expertise nor the understanding of how budgets for companies, especially global companies, work to fully understand these things. Nor should they be reasonably expected to.

Also, NCsoft is South Korean, not Japanese.

Star Citizen kinda has these questions floating around it as much as I support it. Though, they don't have a publisher and believe in "it's ready when it's ready" so that might help them.

Who is this moron that doesn't play games again? Your post reads in a super confusing manner. I'm not even sure what it is you are trying to communicate to me. Seriously, re-read what you posted and ask yourself if it makes any sense, lol.
    You said "Zero honest reviews", which means, a review,a reviewer behind it, before youtube , aka 2005 and before you had to buy a magazine to get a game review, the last 10 years its all about the same+ youtube.

I just answered your review mention

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd love to see proof that reviewers are paid off. Please, do show that this is something that happens regularly across multiple sites.

No, because your average gamer/consumer has nowhere near the technical knowledge/expertise nor the understanding of how budgets for companies, especially global companies, work to fully understand these things. Nor should they be reasonably expected to.

Every trash game has a 9+ in IGN, and many other sites, even if they dont get paid off, they have to give a good review cause fear of their job, the fact you didnt challenge "the really bad players" seems you half agree with me they might not be "paid" in the sense of money in hand, but i do remember some underground QQ about a reviewer getting fired for actual honest review about a famous game.

And yes, i just meant to say "Eastern MMO genre" aka grind forever.

He is responding to what I said about magazine reviews being 100% biased back in the playstation days. I don't know if anyone was paid, but when the lowest score you could get was 7/10, they weren't worth the paper they were printed on. Also, nearly every big budget game got a 9/10 minimum back then.

- - - Updated - - -

You said "Zero honest reviews", which means, a review,a reviewer behind it, before youtube , aka 2005 and before you had to buy a magazine to get a game review, the last 10 years its all about the same+ youtube.

I just answered your review mention

- - - Updated - - -

Every trash game has a 9+ in IGN, and many other sites, even if they dont get paid off, they have to give a good review cause fear of their job, the fact you didnt challenge "the really bad players" seems you half agree with me they might not be "paid" in the sense of money in hand, but i do remember some underground QQ about a reviewer getting fired for actual honest review about a famous game.

I see now. Sorry, but, it read really confusing.

Yeah, back then the primary requirement to be a game reviewer was to be a journalist who liked games. These days, there is a little more street cred required for anyone to take the reviewer seriously.

He is responding to what I said about magazine reviews being 100% biased back in the playstation days. I don't know if anyone was paid, but when the lowest score you could get was 7/10, they weren't worth the paper they were printed on. Also, nearly every big budget game got a 9/10 minimum back then.

- - - Updated - - -

I see now. Sorry, but, it read really confusing.

Yeah, back then the primary requirement to be a game reviewer was to be a journalist who liked games. These days, there is a little more street cred required for anyone to take the reviewer seriously.
    I am not trying to insult anyone on here, its just a discussion, i am just trying to understand why are people so..Yeap, baffles me.

As Edge said, i dont expect people to have the technological knowledge behind games, but at least, LEARN FROM THE LAST 5-7 YEARS!

Sean Murray is a modern day Peter Molyneux and NMS is his Fable.

Many people saw this game's limitations from the get go. Many did not, and now have they're first major learning experience with game expectation management.

NMS is an important game in the way that it will lay the blueprint for others to correct what the game tried to be with productions of their own, and will be known for only that. At the end of the day it's is a painfully limited game, robbed of depth by its suffocating scope. Like Molyneux, Murray won't hear any of the criticism over the waves of cash he surfs on down to the bank.

Every trash game has a 9+ in IGN,
    http://www.ign.com/games/reviews

I could go on, but you are factually wrong here.

and many other sites, even if they dont get paid off, they have to give a good review cause fear of their job,
    So now you're backtracking on your allegation that all reviewers are paid off? That didn't take long.

And no, while there may be pressure for high review score for major titles where companies make big ad buys, but we've seen plenty of those types games get bad reviews as well. You'd need to prove that it exists beyond making a vague claim.

the fact you didnt challenge "the really bad players" seems you half agree with me :>
    I don't agree with your overall point, but it's irrelevant to the reviewers skill with the game. Yes, media are generally awful at the games they play. I can't count how many times I've wanted to scream in frustrations while walking them through demo's for games as they struggle with some of the most basic elements of gameplay. But those folks sucking at the game aren't generally the folks reviewing the game, and even if they are their skill doesn't really factor into reviews. If it did, Dark Souls would routinely get panned for being "too hard" when it actually gets stellar reviews.

To be fair, that is applicable to pretty much any MMO on a certain level. Some of the most grindy games around are/used to be Western titles like EQ1, for example.

Yeah, things were a lot more shady back then (seriously, if people freak out over review events and shit nowadays they'd lose their minds over the shit that used to happen : P), especially with the first party magazines. But even then, paid for reviews were not a thing.

As Edge said, i dont expect people to have the technological knowledge behind games, but at least, LEARN FROM THE LAST 5-7 YEARS!
    Learn what, exactly?

Learn what, exactly?
    Yes i am glad i am wrong but still , if i really look into those games they probably arent even worth a 1/10 and are given a "7" but i was mostly answering to Tijuana as overall since then to now.

And i meant learn from past experience of what is possible and what isnt, or of course your console game doesnt have more than 20 hours of gameplay, etc etc , of course this promise land MMO doesnt have end game, or is bugged to hell, etc etc.

And i meant learn from past experience of what is possible and what isnt, or of course your console game doesnt have more than 20 hours of gameplay, etc etc ,
    What are you talking about? There are plenty of console and PC games that are full priced or less with 20 hours+ of gameplay, especially for folks who enjoy games with plenty of side missions or are achievement hunters.

of course this promise land MMO doesnt have end game, or is bugged to hell, etc etc.
    Most of the issues surrounding MMO's are that players are looking for "the next WoW" and they won't find it. Yeah, some MMO's position themselves as direct competitors (Rift or WildStar) and try to market themselves as such, but much of the "disappointment" folks feel is self inflicted.

Marketing exists to sell games, it's up to consumers whether they take it at face value or look upon it skeptically and dig deeper.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes specifically to NMS, in my opinion, and that of a few of my friends who are playing it, it does one thing well and that is exploration. Everything else they should of just said wasn't their focus, because it was being hyped as a "Do anything you want! Amazing in depth combat! Space battles! Build stuff! Terraform!" And people thought it was the holy grail. Anybody with an inkling of dev knowledge would of known that you can't do everything, but marketing especially around NMS, tries to tell you otherwise.

Deleted
    People just don't understand how to manage expectations.

It's like VR. Everyone gets super excited when you mention VR and start thinking its the next holo deck or danger room. After getting it they will understand it's just a screen in your face with 3D on.
    In short, it's easy to sell dreams. It's difficult to realize them. People really need to learn.

If you try to expect reality, you won't be let down.

FYI: NCSOFT is a Korean company, and the boatload of shitty mmos comes out of Korea, China, or Taiwan mostly. Japan makes almost none afaik.